Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Re: is living in the USA overrated

jaffa,

"I actually think the majority of high quality OOTers would enjoy the english way of life once you got used to the 'bad food' and weather. "

Not sure about the high quality poster part, but I went on two trips to England back in high school and both times I came back very high on the idea of living there. It really suits my personality.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol at Americans calling people fat.
(Great place to visit though, in fact my Vegas cherry's getting popped in 4 months [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Point well taken - but man a lot of those British girls were shall we say slightly overweight. Ditto for like 70% of American ladies.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:34 PM

I would love to travel and live around the world (US, Australia), but I will definately be coming back to Canada when I decide to have children.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:51 PM

Ok free at point of delivery, you dont have to do fundraising or pay off huge medical bills if you are not rich enough to have a medical plan.

I doubt very much that UK woman are fatter than US woman given that the US is the most obese countries in the world (although percentage wise we are fast catching up with the amount of US junk food consumed in the UK).

Its hard to compare costs of living in pure $ terms with the $ being pretty weak against the £, its better for us to move to the US than the other way round at the minute.

For all thos loling at our free the biggest lol is that many of your countrymen beleive they are living in the land of the free.

I think like most countries the US has good points and a number of bad points, however I suspect for well off middle-high income earners its a decent place to live but probably not significantly different to most of Western Europe/Japan and down under.

The same is probably the same in inner city poor areas, I went through downtown Pheonix and couldnt get out of that city fast enough. But like the US places here have similar problems with drugs, poor education no prospects etc.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Best country in the world.

c) education

There are tons more, those are the main three.

[/ QUOTE ]

for our economic resources i think we do a poor job on education. think of the categories swede outlined and most of those countries in that category outperform the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US probably has the best university-level education. Safe to say we don't have the best primary and secondary education.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, but I have to disagree and say you have some of the best post secondary experiences (particulary football games, I wish we had those) and I wish we had the sports facilities you do, but education in the US is vastly overrated and I would put probably 90-100% of all advanced countries post secondary education ahead of the US in terms of actual learning.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the best thing that the US has going for it is the geographic diversity. No other country can really compete with us in that department.

[/ QUOTE ]
*cough*
look North
Old 09-14-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the best thing that the US has going for it is the geographic diversity. No other country can really compete with us in that department.

[/ QUOTE ]
*cough*
look North

[/ QUOTE ]

For what, the abundant lack of long white sandy beaches and great weather found along the majority of the coastlines?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
*cough*
look North

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you guys have some really sweet beaches [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Best country in the world.

c) education

There are tons more, those are the main three.

[/ QUOTE ]

for our economic resources i think we do a poor job on education. think of the categories swede outlined and most of those countries in that category outperform the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US probably has the best university-level education. Safe to say we don't have the best primary and secondary education.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, but I have to disagree and say you have some of the best post secondary experiences (particulary football games, I wish we had those) and I wish we had the sports facilities you do, but education in the US is vastly overrated and I would put probably 90-100% of all advanced countries post secondary education ahead of the US in terms of actual learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

the top of the education pyramid in the US is the best in the world. so you're...completely wrong
Old 09-14-2006, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While Canada does have quite a few high-quality universities which don't seem to get much love - which I suspect is a healthy chunk of why you're bitching - I'd love to hear where you get the rest of this, including that awesome term "actual learning." EDIT: Not that "No way, dude, the U.S rules!" is really bringing anything to the back and forth either.