Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Re: A few ways to improve the NFL.....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think they should abolish the challenge system and make every replay the decision of the booth.

[/ QUOTE ]

They would review every [censored] play if this happened. Kinda like they do in the last two minutes of each half.

[/ QUOTE ]

good
Old 09-09-2006, 01:03 PM

That might be the worst idea I've ever heard.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW whoever said make the Super Bowl best 2 of 3, that's a pretty cool idea. I don't think that in practice it's better than the current one off but the idea of a Super Bowl game at home would be amazing. Especially if your team plays away first and wins there. The home game where a win means you win the Super Bowl would be great, especially coupled with a loss meaning you have one more chance.

[/ QUOTE ]The more I think about it, the more I love this idea.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One other format that I think is okay. Just extend the fourth quarter until someone scores. So if the last play of regulation is 2nd and 8 on the teams own 40, and the team gains 5 yards, the first play of overtime would be 3rd and 3 on their own 45.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, another idea I like a lot....you guys are full of insight.

[/ QUOTE ]
This idea sucks. Think of all the exiting last second plays and drives that wouldn't happen under this format.

[/ QUOTE ]Those drives and exciting plays would just happen in OT instead of regulation.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, now I'm going to make a goofy suggestion (but I still think it would be good).

After a successful two point conversion, the team that scored should have the option of forfeiting one point in exchange for being allowed another two point conversion attempt. If this were successful, the team would again be allowed this option again. This would continue until the team elects to take its points, or fails to convert a two point conversion.

This would mean that theoretically, no team would be out of it. It would be a great game the first time that a team down by 10 scores a touchdown and makes 3 consecutive 2 point conversions to force overtime (of better yet, 4 straight two point conversions to win outright).

[/ QUOTE ]Would be interesting for sure, but kinda unfair to the team that played better the entire game. Also as you know theres no way in hell that this ever happens.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW whoever said make the Super Bowl best 2 of 3, that's a pretty cool idea. I don't think that in practice it's better than the current one off but the idea of a Super Bowl game at home would be amazing. Especially if your team plays away first and wins there. The home game where a win means you win the Super Bowl would be great, especially coupled with a loss meaning you have one more chance.

[/ QUOTE ]The more I think about it, the more I love this idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm telling you, this is a great idea. Somebody give Roger Goodell my phone #
Old 09-09-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Put a chip in the football that tells you whether or not it crossed the goal line. Makes life a lot easier on the refs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure this is feasable. What if part of the ball crosses the line, but the chip doesnt?
Old 09-09-2006, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One other format that I think is okay. Just extend the fourth quarter until someone scores. So if the last play of regulation is 2nd and 8 on the teams own 40, and the team gains 5 yards, the first play of overtime would be 3rd and 3 on their own 45.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, another idea I like a lot....you guys are full of insight.

[/ QUOTE ]
This idea sucks. Think of all the exiting last second plays and drives that wouldn't happen under this format.

[/ QUOTE ]Those drives and exciting plays would just happen in OT instead of regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are just plain wrong. They'd be completely different drives.
Example:
Tom Brady's signature a drive in the hurry up leading to Vinatieri kicking a 48 yard FG as time expires to win their first SuperBowl doesn't happen. Instead they drive without any pressure from the clock, huddle after every play and get a much closer FG try. It is much less exciting football.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2) Put a chip in the football that tells you whether or not it crossed the goal line. Makes life a lot easier on the refs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure this is feasable. What if part of the ball crosses the line, but the chip doesnt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not rocket science folks. If you put a chip in each tip you can tell if any part of the ball crosses the goal.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, you are just plain wrong. They'd be completely different drives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That idea sounded okay at first, but after some thought, it's definitely not good. It would give teams no incentive to try go for the win in regulation. And if a team was behind and drove for last second game tying score, they'd have to kick off to begin OT.

Plus, the clock management and execution during the final minutes of a tie game- when the offense wants to score but not leave any time on the clock, and both teams need to strategically employ their timeouts- would all be moot. I bet Art Shell would love the rule, though.