Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Re: As a fan, what was your most dissapointing pro sports moment..

Various philly teams.
Phillies - hate joe carter, the Blue Jays, and Mitch Wild Thing Williams
Sixers - I shouldn't be disappointed since it was an accomplishment just going to the finals to meet Shaq. And they won the first game to give me hope. But reality set in.
Eagles - Ugh. 3 Conference Finals. 1 Super Bowl. hate.
Flyers - hate the Devils.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:18 PM

Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS.
Game 3 of this years NHL conf. semi's between the Sharks and Oilers. Stayed up incredibly late on a weeknight for them to lose =(.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:21 PM

The Sharks going up 2-0 in the Stanley Cup playoffs vs the Oilers and losing the next 4 games.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:22 PM

some guy took some ball that belonged to us and tossed it to some other guy

as another guy stood and watched in disbelief - 19years later and i still hear the hometown annoucers call in my head
Old 09-02-2006, 03:26 PM

I hate prevent defense, it only prevents you from winning. This was probably Farve's last real chance to get another Superbowl.

4th and 26
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

4th and 26 (for fourth down and 26 yards to go) is the nickname given to a famous play that occurred during the 2003-04 playoffs of the National Football League. The play occurred on January 11, 2004 at Lincoln Financial Field during the fourth quarter of a divisional playoff game between the visiting Green Bay Packers and the Philadelphia Eagles.

The NFC East champion and top-seeded Eagles were coming off an opening round bye while the fourth-seeded, NFC North champion Packers were the visiting team.

The Packers had the Eagles well under control for most of the game, scoring two quick touchdowns on Brett Favre passes to take a 14-point lead early in the game. The Eagles were held scoreless for the first and third quarters, but were able to score a touchdown in the second quarter and fourth quarter to tie the game at 14 apiece. The Packers regained the outright lead on a 21-yard field goal by Ryan Longwell, leaving the Eagles less than two minutes to function a drive. After three plays pushed the Eagles back to their own 25 yard line, the Eagles were faced with a daunting fourth down with 26 yards needed to convert a first down with 1:12 remaining and no timeouts available - failure to convert would allow the Packers to run out the clock and win the game.

The play called for a 25-yard slant running route for flamboyant wide receiver Freddie Mitchell, and saw Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb toss a perfect 28-yard strike to Mitchell deep into the Packers secondary. Mitchell, who was covered by Packers safety Bhawoh Jue, completed a leaping reception and was brought down at the Packers 46, giving the Eagles a first down and giving new life to the stadium.[1]

The play set up David Akers' 37-yard field goal after McNabb ran for another first down. The field goal was good, and the game went into overtime, where the Eagles were able to intercept a Packers pass and set up another Akers field goal. The 31-yard kick split the uprights, giving the Eagles a dramatic 20-17 victory in sudden death overtime. The play became a benchmark for the horrendous Green Bay defense that had severely hampered their season, but more importantly, it helped send the Eagles to their third straight NFC Championship Game.

Limited edition T-shirts were made immediately following the game, with "FOURTH AND 26" emblazoned on the front and "BELIEVE" printed on the back.[2] However, the Eagles went on to lose the NFC Championship game again - for the third year in a row and the second consecutive year at home - to the Carolina Panthers.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cardinals fans: how can we ever forget 1985 WS? Worst ever.

"The Call".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Denkinger

RunDownHouse: nh

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that. I'm not a fan, but I felt bad for those who were.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We would not have had the meltdown in Game 7 sans "Call". Therefore, I choose to remember it being all Denkinger's fault.

'96 NLCS- all our fault.

'04 WS- all our fault (and #2 in my list is being at the shellacking that was called Game 3).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that Game 7 Andujar meltdown was unbelievable. Incredible television.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buckner

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there. I think you've got it wrong: it was absolutely spectactular.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:59 PM

The start of 10 straight miserable years for us O's fans (yeah we made the ALCS the year after this, only for the Indians to screw everything up. Then Davey Johnson was fired and it all went to hell).
Old 09-02-2006, 04:06 PM

Reggie Miller 8 pts in final 9 seconds, so Pacers beat Knicks by 2. Ewing misses easy finger roll to tie Game 7. Pacers somehow win series 4-3.

Knicks up 3-2 in finals vs. Rockets, only to lose Game 6 (very close) and Game 7.

More recently: USC finally getting the lead and then blowing lead vs. Texas for 3rd straight championship last year.