Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 04:12 AM

Default Re: When do you stop picking up the check?

"Obviously on the first date, the guy always pays for the whole thing."

Why? It's not "obvious" at all.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 AM

I think that guy pays until you two can be considered "dating" and then its 50/50. This half and half paying is then on a sliding scale allowing for differences in income. If the girl earns a lot more, strict 50/50 or even her paying more is acceptable. if you make a lot more, then pay up to 75%.

i have a long term girlfriend and whenever it is a mutual decision to go out, we just switch off who pays, paying a little bit of attention to the difference between me buying her a fancy dinner and her buying me a burrito. however, whenever i say "lets go out to dinner tonight" i will always pick up the tab, as well as she, although not as frequently, will greet me coming home from work by saying shes taking me out to dinner tonight.

i believe that chivalry is not dead, but theres nothing chivalrous about just constantly paying for stuff.

i think of a person as more of a gentleman if he opens the door for a girl, rather than his wallet.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I pay 100% of the time when i take my current girl out... Then again I work on wall street and she has about 100k in loans for med school. So i think my situation is different than most

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, Ive never heard of this before, you make more than your girlfriend AND you pay for everything, thats so unique!
Old 07-28-2006, 11:51 AM

Never
Old 07-28-2006, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think hard about this - how would you feel if a girl you just met asked you out, picked you up, paid for all your sh!t, and showered you with compliments all night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... that would be [censored] awesome...WTF are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

You think so... then why doesn't the girl get right down on her knees when you reach for your credit card?
Old 07-28-2006, 12:35 PM

Just make sure the girl can actually afford to pick up the tab when she offers. In my case I ended up letting my then girl-friend (now wife) pick up 1/3 or so of the tabs. Of course as we get more serious I find out that she's been charging all of our dates etc. to credit cards that she hadn't been paying off on a monthly basis. Needless to say I handle all things involving finances around the house...

Swede
Old 07-28-2006, 12:56 PM

I met my current girlfriend of 2+ years when I was living in NYC shortly after I moved there. It was my first date in NY and I hadn't been out much because I was really poor, so stupid me, I thought the $80 in my bank account would be enough to cover eveything. I knew my now girlfriend had a good job making a lot of money, but of course I wanted to pay and not look like a bum. The date went something like this:

Met at the Bowery Poetry Club to see Taylor Meade - $5 cover charge x2 + 2 drinks each at $5 each = down to $50
I'm thinking, OK $50 isn't too bad, I can pull this off.

Went to a nice looking cafe restaurant. WTF? Everything on the menu is $25! Yeah, go ahead and get whatever you want. Me? I had a big lunch, I just want a soup and salad. Do you except a bad check as payment? No, ok then here's $40. Down to $10

She says there's a good punk show down on the lower east side. I say it's such a nice night, we should walk (thank god it was spring). On the way, we pass a shop with an antique mirror in the window that she wants to look at. I just about pass out when the clerk says it's $1500 and she decides she'll probably come back tomorrow and buy it. I hit an ATM on the way and try to overdraw my account, and walk away with my last $10.

We get to the club, $5 cover charge x 2 Down to $0. At least I have a card good for one more ride back to Brooklyn. I ask her what she wants to drink, praying she says water. She says she'll have a gin and tonic and heads to the bathroom. I consider stealing a drink from someone sitting at the bar but decide against it. Luckily the place was packed and I ended up having to wait for about 10 people to get their drinks. By this time she's back and says that since I've paid for everything she insists on buying the drinks. Well, if she insists. We spent a couple of hours there, I walked her home, said goodnight and headed back to Brooklyn.

I managed to scrounge up enough money for a couple more dates before I went broke, at which point she paid for a lot of stuff for a while. Now that I'm not poor, I pretty much insist getting everything most of the time, and I'm greatful she put up with my broke ass for the first 6 months we were together.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:57 PM

This reminds me of half-baked.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of half-baked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the movie later and died laughing at that scene and finally told her what happened that night.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think hard about this - how would you feel if a girl you just met asked you out, picked you up, paid for all your sh!t, and showered you with compliments all night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... that would be [censored] awesome...WTF are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're extremely materialistic and shallow, you would be a lot less attracted to a girl who did this.