Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2006, 11:13 AM
 is offline

Default Re: Tough Decision

Well said. I agree completely with what you are saying.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:14 AM

I think this thread is so long because of the difficulty of the decision, not the color of the poster.

Umm.

Push, unless Button is raising really tight on the button, which he isn't because he's good. SB and Button's stacks are important, we'd rather button be a medium stack and secondarily, rather SB be non-aggressive or a small-medium stack (because button is less likely to steal into a big stack). BSB history and your image is relevant too, but in the vacuum presented, push please. 900 chips is 40% of your stack and you're ahead of his range.

Stop and go is junk because calling 1900 to win 3200 he has room to fold preflop and stop and go gives all his true stealing hands, many of which are a tweener coin flip vs you, a chance to flop a pair or good draw.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:18 AM

this is aimed at nobody, but dude, seriously, let me be the only one in this thread to say "angeloism". If it's that close, does it really matter what you do? Someone please enlighten me, or let's get a discussion going on further merits outside the hand being played that would factor into the decision as opposed to making bare bones betting action statements. You may as well be playing online with that OP description, Sklansky, no offense.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering if anyone would care to address my argument that only raising hands that can call a push is not the best way to play against a BB with DS's stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my hunch is that raising hands that you don't plan on calling with is pretty bad poker. Does that address your point?

If, say, Alan Goehring is on the button (we know it's not him, because the raise size would have been like 450 tops), he is calling Sklansky's allin with WHATEVER hand he raised. Ultimately, in this spot, you might as well look down at A7s and just ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
Old 05-19-2006, 11:19 AM

ty shane, someone else who feels similarly
Old 05-19-2006, 11:20 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my hunch is that raising hands that you don't plan on calling with is pretty bad poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Would like to hear more elaboration on this...

edit: And, BTW, I am raising any 2 if I think you're folding A7s here.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because button knows Hero is going to be in push/fold mode doesn't mean he should only raise hands that will call a push. He's in a position to spend 600 and give us a decision for 2400. Especially if this is the first chance he's had to raise our blind since we've gotten short, he may very well be feeling us out to try to get a sense of what our pushing range here will be.

This raise is break-even for Villain if Hero moves in 50% of the time and folds 50% of the time even if Villain folds to every all-in. It is even more profitable because once he can estimate our pushing range, he can make +EV calls on top of the +EV raise.

As others have said, Villain's stack size and Hero's/Villain's images are very relevant, but at this point I'd need a pretty strong reason NOT to move in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's lame to bump my own post within a thread, but people keeping saying "a good player would know Sklansky is short here and only raise a good hand to induce a push," and I'm wondering if anyone would care to address my argument that only raising hands that can call a push is not the best way to play against a BB with DS's stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm going to try really hard not to make ten posts in this thread, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my hunch is that raising hands that you don't plan on calling with is pretty bad poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm....really? Isn't raising still +EV with a lot of hands that can't call a push when you factor in the chance of stealing the blinds?
Old 05-19-2006, 11:24 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm....really? Isn't raising still +EV with a lot of hands that can't call a push when you factor in the chance of stealing the blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention, with 21BBs, it's not like the BB is in push/fold mode. We also win sometimes with a c-bet when BB just calls PF.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:24 AM

I would fold 97s on the button here. If button looks at your stack size and raises to 600, he's pretty much saying "okay, let's go." And with the range of hands he's doing that with, A7 is not that good. Baby aces are in much better shape against us than we are against a big ace. We've still got >10BB if we fold. I'm surprised so many posters here are willing to put the tournament on the line in this situation.