Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Salt water

wet: "what if it was just one really hot can of soda" Excellent point.

nation: Um, what do you care one way or the other?

kurosh: Thanks for the clear answer!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:06 AM

I don't, it just seems like Kurosh is backed into a corner...doesn't seem like a big deal to get him to say he's wrong. But you're right, not my argument, i'll show myself out.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So what's your argument, that there would really be a case of icy soda available in this situation? Enlighten me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I guess I cheated by reading the original post.

[ QUOTE ]
I got in an argument with my gf on this subject. She claims that If you are stranded in the desert and only have Soda to drink; drinking that soda will actually make you die faster. How can this be. I have been googling the [censored] out of this and cant really find anything that says either way. Any nutritionists or anything out there can confirm, deny?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well like I've said several times, I would drink the soda. I mean seriously, who wouldn't. You're dying. I just don't think a single soda would make much of a difference in such extreme conditions.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:11 AM

I really really don't understand what it is you're trying to get at.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really really don't understand what it is you're trying to get at.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still going to die.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So what's your argument, that there would really be a case of icy soda available in this situation? Enlighten me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I guess I cheated by reading the original post.

[ QUOTE ]
I got in an argument with my gf on this subject. She claims that If you are stranded in the desert and only have Soda to drink; drinking that soda will actually make you die faster. How can this be. I have been googling the [censored] out of this and cant really find anything that says either way. Any nutritionists or anything out there can confirm, deny?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well like I've said several times, I would drink the soda. I mean seriously, who wouldn't. You're dying. I just don't think a single soda would make much of a difference in such extreme conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]I would not drink the soda.

Diablo, I know it's impossible for you to admit you're wrong. You are wrong. I don't know how I can prove this to you, but YOU ARE WRONG. I would rather drink nothing than soda anyday.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:23 AM

prop bets?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:33 AM

All,

I would estimate that my liquid intake ratio for the past 20+ years is roughly something like this:

100:5:1:1 - soda:alchohol:waterther

I've definitely gone for at least a month straight drinking nothing but soda. I've probably gone for at least a month straight drinking nothing but regular pepsi.

Obviously I'm eating too, so this doesn't help with the "your food has water in it" argument, but if soda was dehydrating rather than just not-as-hydrating-as-water, I'd be dead long ago. As it is, I'm just a fatty and I've only rarely suffered from very minor dehydration issues, and then only after a long night of hard drinking (of alchohol obviously).
Old 12-29-2006, 06:03 AM

kurosh,

Why are you ignoring—or, at least, why does it seem like you are—the study that Diablo posted and the Snopes article (which I would consider the most reputable source posted thus far, which DIRECTLY REFUTES every claim you linked to)?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:15 AM

I'm not as confident as I was before about this. Kurosh is getting in my head.

Say that if you had a cup of water in the middle of the desert, it would add 3 days to your life. Keep drinking a cup of water every 3 days, and hypothetically you would survive in the desert indefinitely (given food and all else).

If you only had caffeinated soda, the caffeine would offset some of the hydrating powers of the water content, but I would think there would be more than enough water in the soda to overcome the caffeine. Unless of course it's jolt. Am I wrong in assuming this? Maybe a cup of soda would only give you 1 day in the desert, as opposed to 3. But I don't imagine it gives you negative days.

Counterpoint: After I drink a lot of beer (and only beer), the next morning I have my hangover and I feel very dehydrated. How come the water content in the beer didn't overcome the alcohol's effect of dehydration? Is alcohol in beer (which is mostly water) much more powerful than caffeine?

These are honest questions. No sarcasm here, for once. I'm still going with drinking the soda.