Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: For poker, do you prefer laptops or desktops?
Laptops 35 19.23%
Desktops 147 80.77%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-22-2006, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Avocado 3-Dip Platter w/ Tortilla Chips

[ QUOTE ]

We didn't have too much of the pesto left-over; it turned out really well, and the amount in the pic was the full recipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always nice to see something you made get devoured like that, isn't it? Spotting your mother eating the leftovers is also rewarding.

I was thinking you could grill a tomato and then stuff it maybe croûtons and that pesto sauce. Or use over chicken.

Any other ideas?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Iron Chef OOT 12/13-12/24

1st course Bonus--Beverage

<font color="green">Avocado Lassi </font>

1/2 mashed avocado
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup cream
4 chopped mint leaves +leaves for garnish
1/4 cup sugar
honey to taste
water
4 ice cubes crushed

(makes enough for 2)

blend avocado, yogurt, cream, mint and sugar. Add water until lassi reaches desired consistency (creamy without being too thick), taste and add honey until sweet to your taste. Add crushed ice. Give one last short blast. Pour into glasses and garnish with mint. Cool and Refreshing!

2nd course Appetizer

<font color="green"> Avocado and Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Parmesean Mini-toasts, and Microgreen Salad with Avocado Dressing</font>

Avocado and Roasted Red Pepper Soup

1/2 Avocado
1/4 Roasted Red Pepper
Cream
Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper

Roast Red Pepper in the Oven at high temp. When skin blisters and turns black put in a paper bag for a few minutes. Remove skin and seeds. Take Red Pepper, Avocado and Cream blend using a hand blender. Adjust amount of cream until soup is to desired consistency. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.

Avocado Dressing

1 slice avocado diced
EVOO
Sherry Vinegar
Roasted Garlic Whole Grain Mustard
Salt
Pepper

Combine ingredients and whisk

Parmesean Mini-Toasts

Toasts
Parmigiano-reggiano
Cayenne Pepper

Top toasts with a sprinkling of cheese and dash with cayenne. Toast under broiler for 10 seconds.

3rd course Entree

<font color="green"> Avocado Muffuletta Sandwich on Avocado Cracker Bread</font>

Avocado Cracker Bread

(To be honest I thought this would rise and be more focaccia-like, but it didn't and the result was a nice thin crunchy bread. Very tasty even if it wasn't the expected result. Worked out great.)

1 packed dry active yeast
1/3 cup hot water
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 avocado
onion
thyme
Extra-virgin olive oil

Proof the yeast in the hot water adding the sugar, leave mixture for 10 minutes. Add yeast mixture to flour. Add additional water by the tablespoon until all flour is incorporated. Mash 1/2 avocado. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead dough with hands working in the avocado slowly. This is messy. The result is a nice marbled dough of off-white and avocado green. Place in a lightly oiled bowl flip the dough over once so both sides are very lightly coated. Allow to rise 1/2 hour. Here is the dough prepared for rising:

Turn out the dough and kneed lightly. Press into a sheet pan or dish. Brush the dough with extra-virgin olive oil. Top with very thinly sliced onion and garden fresh thyme. Salt and Pepper. I used a Hawaiian sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Here is bread ready for the oven:

Bake 475 degrees for 10 minutes for a softer bread. Bake 20 minutes for a crusty bread. I baked 20 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the olive salad for the muffuletta.

Olive Salad

1/4 cup chopped Large Green Spanish Olives with Pimentos
1/4 cup chopped Kalamata Olives
1 clove chopped raw garlic
1 tbsp capers
chopped Parsley
sprinkle dried oregano
drizzle of Extra-virgin olive oil

Prepare and combine above ingredients. Let rest until needed.

Avocado Muffuletta Sandwich

On the Avocado Cracker Bread layer a variety of Italian salami and ham. Add a layer of the olive salad and very thinly sliced provolone cheese. After this I chose to press the sandwich to combine flavors and also make the finished product easy to eat. Here is a shot of my pressing set up:

While the sandwich was pressing I prepared the final course which I will describe later. At any rate, wait a while and then remove the heavy object you were pressing the sandwich with. Add thick slices of Avocado. I also tossed in a few slices of leftover roasted red pepper.

Yummy! Then I add a little lamb's lettuce--great with avocado. Close sandwich and Enjoy. Here is the final product.

4th and final course Bonus--Dessert

<font color="green"> Avocado Zabaglione </font>

1/2 avocado
6 egg yolks
Powdered Sugar
White Wine

Traditionally a zabaglione uses marsala or madeira wine, but I didn't have any on hand. I used white wine instead. I guess making it more close to its French cousin Sabayon. Hmm. Anyway, you need a double boiler for this, but I don't have one. Instead I used my all-clad salad bowl which has a great hand hold. I used that to hook the bowl over boiling water in my pasta pot. It was great because I could whisk vigorously without holding onto the bowl. At any rate, if you use the bowl over boiling water technique, be sure that the bowl never touches the water. Add yolks to bowl and whisk until frothy. Add mashed avocado. Here we are at that stage:

More whisking. Add sugar to taste. Whisk. Add small amount of white wine. More Whisking. The finished product should be thick, sweet, and frothy. This was actually maybe the best dish of the bunch. I plated this dish inside the empty avocado skin and added a chocolate truffle as the avocado pit. End result:

Old 12-22-2006, 11:25 PM

I'm not a big desert guy, but this is hot.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Avocado Zabaglione </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute!

I also liked the onion baked into the bread.

How was the lassi? I tried honey with the avocado whipped cream and did not care for it together (I thought it overpowered the avocado). How much honey did you use?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:03 AM

I didn't use honey as the only sweetener, maybe that helped me. I used a 1/4 cup sugar and then just squeezed in honey to get that hint of flavor and sweetness without being overpowering. It worked out. I used a squeeze or two. Hard to be exact about amounts. I think less than a tablespoon certainly.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:02 AM

Default avocado homage

So tonight for dinner I used two of the recipes from OOT chefs this week and they came out really well.

I made pork tenderloin and served it with Ron Burgundy's mole sauce, along with mashed potatoes and grilled tomato stuffed with croûtons and topped with SamIAm's guacomole pesto.

Thanks, guys. That won't be the last time I use those recipes either.

Edit: by the way, Ron, I used about 1/2 tsp dried chipotle powder and that seemed to have kick without dominating the sauce
Old 12-23-2006, 11:32 PM

Appetizer: Avocado and Smoked Salmon Fritters with Lemon Cream sauce

Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado
¼ lb smoked salmon
1 shallot
1 lemon
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
½ cup sour cream
Salt and pepper
Oil for frying
Avocado-Mango salad (recipe below)

1. Scoop out flesh from one avocado and dice into chunks around one-half inches per side or so.
2. Mince smoked salmon into pieces roughly equivalent in size to the avocado. Mince the shallot finely.
3. Gently combine the avocado, salmon and shallots in a good sized work bowl (you’ll be adding the fritter batter later, so will need room). Add the juice of one half of the lemon and gently mix a bit more.
4. Sift together the flour, baking power, sugar and salt. Beat the egg and add the milk to the beaten egg. Add the wet ingredients into the dry to form the fritter batter; do not over-mix.
5. Heat the cooking oil to medium-high heat – it should be several inches deep, but you can probably get away with it only being a couple of inches deep. You can test the temperature by dropping a bit of the batter in. It should rise to the top of the oil and brown within a couple of minutes.
6. Add the fritter batter to the avocado/salmon/shallots and gently mix. Most of the mixture should be filling rather than batter.
7. Drop large spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot oil; how many you can cook at once depends on what you’re cooking them in. Flip over when the bottom is brown to cook the other side – it should take a couple of minutes. When the other side is done, use a slotted spoon to remove the fritter from the oil. Drain on paper towels, covered to keep warm while the rest cook.

8. Mix the juice from the remaining half lemon with the sour cream to make the lemon cream sauce.

Avocado-Mango salad

Ingredients:
1 avocado
1 ripe mango
1 lime, juiced
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
Poppy seeds

1. Dice the avocado into small pieces. Reserve the avocado shell for serving the salad.
2. Dice the mango into small pieces the same size as the avocado; gently mix the two together.
3. Whisk the lime juice and extra virgin olive oil together to make the dressing. Add a bit of salt to taste. Mix the dressing with the avocado/mango. Spoon into the avocado shell and sprinkle a few poppy seeds on top.

This really worked out very well. It’s not that hard to make (I’d never made fritters before) and when the family taste-tested all but my youngest went back for more; we finished it off in just a couple of minutes. About the only change I would make is to add some chopped chives in the lemon cream, but we didn’t have any in the house.

Old 12-25-2006, 01:29 AM

My raw vegan appetizer:

<font color="green"> Avocado Cucumber Roll With Avocoado-Mint Sauce </font>

This is like a spring roll except you use very thin slices of cucumber as the wrapper.

1 English cucumber
4-5 slices of avocado
4-5 julienned carrot piecse
4-5 julienned jicama pieces
i jalapeno, julienned
4-5 Julienned mango pieces
1 tbs fennel fronds
2 tbs finely chopped green onion
1 tsp finely chopped cilantro
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 tbs evoo
s+p

Put the evoo, lime juice, cilantro, and s+p in a small bowl. Mix in the jalapeno and green onion. Set aside to marinate.

Peel the cucumber. Then, with a peeler, cut about 10 very thin slices. Place them on a sushi mat to form a square, overlapping them slightly.

About 1/3 of the way up the square of cucmber, arrange the avocado, mango, jicama, carrot, mint leaves, fennel fronds, and marinated jalapeno and green onion evenly across.

Carefully roll it up,try to keep it tight, and make sure the stuff doesn't squirt out from the ends. Once you're about 1 inch from the end, dab the top of the cucumber with a paper towel to dry it. Then squeeze a little honey across the top to help it stick together. Cut into thirds and arrange on a plate however you want.

For the sauce, make the avocado-mint sauce that was in the taco entree, except add lime juice:

1/2 an avocado
1 tbs evoo
1 tbs chopped fresh mint
juice of 1/2 a lime
s+p

Put everything in a blender and blend for at least 1 minute. Plate it using the fancyass spoon-drag move.

Garnish with more marinated jalapeno and green onion.

I liked this. The only problem was that it's so hard to keep the roll tight without the ingredients falling out.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:44 PM

CSC,

Where is the poll? WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE DOING TODAY THAT'S KEEPING YOU FROM MAKING THE POLL???
Old 12-25-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CSC,

Where is the poll? WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE DOING TODAY THAT'S KEEPING YOU FROM MAKING THE POLL???

[/ QUOTE ]

CSC, take your time . . . I'm still working on my main!