Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2006, 11:58 PM

Default Re: My mom wants money

Or you could have her contact El Diablo and set her up for a few rounds of the Crimson Challenge.

If your mom was really in trouble, she wouldn't hesitate to eat four sticks of butter in an hour, or drink a gallon of milk. Also, is she any good at drinking hot sauce, or could she do 100 shots of beer in 100 minutes?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:16 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 AM

I liked the suggestion of telling her she has to front some of the money. If you can think of a way to induce her to tell you some sort of discretionary cash figure ("I've got about $300 saved up, but I don't really want to spend it right now"), then you can subtract that figure - or a little more - from the total cost and offer to give her that much.

If she tells you she's got $300 sitting around, but it costs $800 total, tell her you'll loan her $500 or $600. If you can combine that with telling her that you can't loan her money all the time, you'll find out pretty quickly whether she's serious or not, and you should discourage her from making you her go-to guy every time she needs a manicure.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
now how to subtley explain this to her...

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy. Just say something like this:

Hi Mom,

I'll have to think about it. My gut reaction is to say no, I don't
want to start being everybody's source of money and I don't mean to
sound rude but, when I was having money troubles and trying to put
myself through college, I didn't get one red cent from you guys. I
know you weren't doing well either but I got no help, at all, ever, at
any point. I had to make my own way. That has made me very stingy with
helping other people out, nobody helped me.

Bill

That sounds pretty subtle.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:46 AM

I don't make nearly as much money as you. And I definely have a different relationship with my mom. But come on man, its half a buy in and its your mom. Just make sure you let her know this isn't going to happen again, unless its a real emergency, and give it to her for her birthday, mothers day, christmas or all of them. And I think sending the doctor the money is the smart move too. Don't you think your grandfather would like to see you doing something nice for your mom?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:53 AM

The proper response to this thread title is "oh, tell ME!"
Old 06-14-2006, 01:07 AM

To the people saying "oh it's not much money for you anyway", I think you're missing the point. I would definitely be concerned with future requests like these with random relatives etc. I have a pretty good relationship with my parents so my opinion will be skewed from yours, but if they needed money I would give it to them but ask that they not mention it to anyone else and definitely not name you out.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A little extra good karma once in a while couldn't hurt

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright might as well put it other there...

She loves Hawaii and hadn't been there in years. About two months ago I was stuck in Japan with no way to get back to Thailand and decided to take a little detour to Honolulu (the only flight out that night from Tokyo) and flew here out there for a week. She was in heaven for that week as things had not been going well for her.

So maybe I'm a cock head but I kinda think my good karma and being nice duties have been fulfilled with here for, i dunno, a few years...

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a very cool thing to do, but I still think dental stuff is an exception. Having bad teeth is really nasty, and like I noted, some operations won't even be done with bad teeth. What happens if she had a heart attack or stroke or kidney trouble and the doctors wouldn't do certain procedures that could save her life or prevent something really bad from developing, but were too risky because of her poor dental health?

That is all influenced by just what's going on in her mouth, though. Does she want her smile back because gum disease has ruined it for her, or she has rotting teeth? Or does she just have yellowish teeth and want veneers or such?

[/ QUOTE ]

wait they won't perform life-saving operations on someone because they have bad teeth?? I'd really like to hear details on this.

is this a Soprano "wallet biopsy" round 2 thing, an assumed unable to pay status? or what? Its possibly my severly limited medical knowledge, but I can't find the relationship between heart/kidney function, and teeth condition
Old 06-14-2006, 01:20 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-14-2006, 01:46 AM

I think it has to do with infection and/or stress hormones. Poor dental health has I think been very strongly correlated with one or the other or both, and I think that comes especially as relates to some operations they can perform on the heart.

I don't know the particulars and I'm no doctor, just recall something like this being described as a reason some important operations don't go forward. Now if they were going to lose you in ten minutes if they didn't do an operation or procedure, they'd probably be pretty hard pressed not to do it almost regardless of the long-term recovery factors. But what if they figured they might have a few days or a week to operate on you to work with a stroke, but the chances were that you were losing out if they didn't actually operate on you right NOW -- and they wouldn't because of your dental condition. So maybe you would have less of a chance to survive if they operated now, but also less of a chance of brain damage. Get some dental surgery and get operated on next week, and maybe you'll live but drop 30 IQ points or wind up a vegetable. Just a hypothetical situation.

I really don't know the specifics here at all, just recall reading that dental problems will postpone or cancel some very serious operations that are time-sensitive. It would be a shame to wind up dead or retarded just because you have a bad dental plan.