Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: NBA fixing: biggest American sports story in recent memory?

[ QUOTE ]
does this sound wrong to anyone else?

http://www.nba.com/news/stern_statement_070720.html

"We would like to assure our fans that no amount of effort, time or personnel is being spared to assist in this investigation"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I've been thinking about this sentence for a couple minutes and I still can't figure out how it can be right and wrong at the same time. But it is.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

how does getting amare stoudemaire into foul trouble aid an over/under? perhaps i am an nba fish, but wouldn't they be better served if he were left in the game?

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly, but the expert handicapper said that fouls were the easiest way to manipulate over/under, and putting teams in the penalty early in the period was the easiest way to put points on the board. Amare being out of the game probably costs the Suns a few points, but it could also mean more points on the Spurs' end, both at the line and with whatever big Amare is no longer guarding. (Although his defense generally sucks, I have to believe he's better than say Pat Burke). Amare is a spaz who fouls too much as it is, having a ref with incentive to call phantom fouls is not good news for him.

At the top of that article it mentioned that the handicapper is 15-0-2 in his Super Bowl predicting career, so I have to assume he knows what he is talking about.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

NBA gambling (if it's anything more than just one dude)
OJ Simpson
Magic Johnson with AIDS
Yankees v. Red Sox
Pete Rose gambling
Bonds/Sosa/McGwire/Canseco "steroid era"
NBA gambling (if it's just one dude)
CCNY Point Shaving
Tyson rape case
Nancy Kerrigan
BC Point Shaving
Jordan to baseball
Tyson ear biting
Duke lacrosse rape case
Vick dog fighting
Kobe rape case
Moneyball v. Baseclogging scandal
Ben Johnson doping
ASU Point Shaving
Team USA baskeball turning into a joke

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-23-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

how does getting amare stoudemaire into foul trouble aid an over/under? perhaps i am an nba fish, but wouldn't they be better served if he were left in the game?

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly, but the expert handicapper said that fouls were the easiest way to manipulate over/under, and putting teams in the penalty early in the period was the easiest way to put points on the board. Amare being out of the game probably costs the Suns a few points, but it could also mean more points on the Spurs' end, both at the line and with whatever big Amare is no longer guarding. (Although his defense generally sucks, I have to believe he's better than say Pat Burke). Amare is a spaz who fouls too much as it is, having a ref with incentive to call phantom fouls is not good news for him.

At the top of that article it mentioned that the handicapper is 15-0-2 in his Super Bowl predicting career, so I have to assume he knows what he is talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well normally calling a lot of ticky tack fouls esp in the 3rd and 4th quarter, doesn't matter who they are against, will make anyone who has the over in a game jump for joy given the teams are going to get into the penalty early and it will increase scoring.

Calling the fouls against Amare specifically would probably be more in favor of someone who bet on the Spurs, not so much the over...but it doesn't hurt the over given the Suns ability to shoot the 3 etc
Old 07-23-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tuq, you are way to calm about this whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, no man I'm just saving my angst for all of my RL friends, misery loves company and nobody wants/needs to hear me bitch on here. The town is pretty pissed though.

As for the Spurs/Suns game three, check out this article with a legendary handicapper. Here all this time we've been moaning about him rigging the game for the Spurs, whereas this guy - who clearly knows his stuff - said he is 100% sure Donaghy was controlling the over/under, not the line. More fouls, more free throws, etc. Don't have that box score handy but they went over by around nine points so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of trips to the line that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absurd yet predictable that ESPN would take this as a opportunity to advertise for a scumbag sack of [censored] scamming tout who is clueless about the subject he claims to be an expert of.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 PM

TheRover, thanks for your predictably angry contribution.

Clark, is the consensus in Chicago that Jordan's old man was whacked because of gambling debts? I've heard that a bunch of times but never really heard any anecdotal evidence to back it up.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TheRover, thanks for spreading the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

np tuq
Old 07-23-2007, 02:53 PM

I think the biggest sports stories in my lifetime (b. 1969) are as follows, in no particular order:

OJ murders two people
USA boycotts Olympics
Magic announces he has HIV

This referee story will obviously be a big deal, but I honestly don't see it rising to this level. Honestly, I think the Pacers-Pistons brawl is actually a bigger NBA story from just 2-3 years ago.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:57 PM

the OJ trial was not a sports story.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:00 PM

I think we need a new category for stories that are actual sports stories vs. news events that happen to sports figures. If a giant meteorite lands on Michael Jordan and kills him, is that really a sports story? Meh.

I put Yanks/Socks and 1980 US Hockey team above most of these crime/scandal stories anyway. And I'm pretty sure the 72 olympics would be higher, even though we don't remember it.