Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Books I\'m reading etc.

I just finished The Plague by Camus. Arguably a metaphor for the Nazi occupation of France, which I saw at times, but at other at times it just seemed like a plague story with Camus' flair for trying to make you depressed and find that life is meaningless. Great book, but be choosy about the translation, as a bad one will lose some of the author's gift.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:32 PM

reading Lolita, and I hate the prose. way too fancy for me. Also found out my book skips from 84 to 112. WTF Amazon? Way,
Old 07-14-2007, 01:04 AM

Just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Incredible. I recommend it to everyone.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Incredible. I recommend it to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finished it a couple of days ago. In some ways, I feel like it did too good a job of setting the mood, as for a long time I'd just sort of think "that's great, but what's the point?" The ending crushed me, though; it's been a while since I got that emotional about a book. So all in all, pretty well constructed, and it's quick enough that it's definitely worth a read.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:31 AM

Shantaram . I read it quite a while ago, but I feel the need to reinforce that, and i'm an avid reader, this is the best book i've ever read. It's truly amazing. The link will send you to the first page of the book. It's truly mind blowing. GET IT!

The best love story i've ever read I finished a little while ago: The Time Travellers Wife. . Very unique and well written, I would suggest to anyone.

Just about to start Fierce invalids home from hot climates ... heard great thigns. Excited!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:45 PM

White Oleander
It's also a film.
http://whiteoleander.warnerbros.com/teaser.html
Old 07-18-2007, 02:56 PM

I just got back from a trip and wanted to share some of the books I've been reading recently. I typically like fiction books that are quick easy reads (though occassionally I'll read something more challenging). Many of you think these books are rubbish, but I read for entertainment for the most part.

The first is Sphere, by Michale Crichton. I've read a decent amount of MC in the past and enjoy his work for the most part. He hits on alot of cool topics (IMO) and I generally like his books. This book follows a team of scientists who discover an Alien ship at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. It appears to be hundreds of years old, but has English writing on the inside...

Overall I enjoyed it.

FireStarter was the second book I read. The story follows a young pyrokientic girl and her father, a telepath. The man was the result of a government expirement gone wrong. Most of the book traces the man and his daughter and their desparate run to escape. This was a fun book that was very fast paced.

Cell by Stephen King

Another fun easy read, this is a post-apocalyptic story that follows one man and his struggle to survive in a world filled with zombies. Once regular people, those who were listening/calling/talking on their cell phones on October 1st were given a signal that transforms them into non thinking mindless zombies.

I really enjoyed The Stand by SK and this reminded me alot of it. If you enjoyed Gunslinger/The Stand and those types of post apocalpticish books, I recommend this one to you.

This is the last book I read. I'm a mob fanatic and love to read mob books/see mob movies, etc. This book follows the rise and fall of Joseph Massino of the Bonanno crime family. It is organized well, and has good accounts from his accomplices. However, it seemed a bit too impersonal to me and didn't get as much into his life, something that Wiseguy by Nick Peliggi did very well. I felt the author focused a bit too much on the legality and capture of Massino instead of his actual life.

So, thats what I read while on vacation with family.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Great thread and I have queued a lot of books for future reading. This past year a friend turned me onto Chuck Palahniuk ("Fight Club") and I recently finished his latest book "Rant". I really enjoyed the way he writes but have found that a lot of his books are fairly similiar, it's cool, I enjoy it, but a little disappointing. Below is a list of the books I have read this summer (summer reading list nerd). Ok I have to admit something that is so sad..... I have never read Tom Sawyer. I just recently got through it,man what a great book. I don't know how that could have passed me by for 26 years.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. Love this forum.

Diomed

Summer Reading Lists:

Robinson Crusoe
Hate Mail From Cheerleaders
The Iliad
Fight Club
Rant
Survivor
Lullaby
Invisible Monsters
Choke
Diary
Haunted
The Odyssey
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Adventures of Huck Finn
Africa: A Biography
Dracula
Alice In Wonderland
Old 07-18-2007, 08:00 PM

I am reading some short stories by Octavio Paz, including El laberineto de la soledad.

It is really interesting to hear the message about Mexico, what it means to be Mexican and how Mexicans in America handle the different culture
Old 07-19-2007, 09:00 PM

is anyone on www.goodreads.com ? its pretty phat
heres my page:
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/188511