Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Hevad \"RaiNKhAN\" Khan joins team PokerStars

because it's a freeroll get to travel the world for free.

How dumb can you be to turn down a decent deal.

There are bad deals i.e. wons with very weak and infrequent final table bonus etc. Anyone turning down what Team pokerstars gives is an idiot. A few million won't last long esp if you are dumb enough to not take the free money thrown at you while they are willing.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:22 AM

Camel, speaking from experience, I think you highly overestimate what is required of a 'sponsored player.'

It's basically free money.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really need this hassle when you are a multi millionaire?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but very few players are actually multi-millionaires (or even close), while others actually do enjoy the spotlight, and many more need the income to subsist as a pro (also, y'know, people seem to still enjoy playing poker tournaments, even though they already won a big one).

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying--if I cleared 5M in a poker tournament, I'd probably spend more time doing other things with my life and enjoying my money and not working for any corporation, but there are a lot of legitimate reasons why someone would choose a different path than that.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
camel having millions and not spending 300k+ a year in tourney fees as well as get paid for advertisements etc is a way to solidfy poker as a job that no matter how bad you play you don't lose money.

See Matusow

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm why would a wsop winner WANT to spend 300k a year on tourney fees anyways?

If I happen to win wsop me 2008.. the only tournies which would hold any appeal for me from then on would be monte carlo ept and wpt championship at bellagio. Possibly the odd trip to the caribbean when the weather was crappy in england thrown in.

I sat next to Isabelle Mercier at Monte Carlo trhis year. she had a camera pointed in her direction virtually non stop and was pestered for autographs and interviews in the breaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people love playing poker.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There are bad deals i.e. wons with very weak and infrequent final table bonus etc. Anyone turning down what Team pokerstars gives is an idiot. A few million won't last long esp if you are dumb enough to not take the free money thrown at you while they are willing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think someone who turned down Pokerstars after winning the WSOP is the farthest thing imagineable from being an idiot.

Freedom is much more valuable than money.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Camel, speaking from experience, I think you highly overestimate what is required of a 'sponsored player.'

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in a group having dinner during the last month's WSOP. Wine was flowing and laughter was the order of the day. It was a vintage evening.

A member of team Pokerstars was there and clearly enjoying himslf as much as anyone... after about an hour he had to make his excuses and leave... Stars wanted him at some function or another.

Just one example.. While at events, they have to give up ALOT of free time to earn their sponsorship.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think someone who turned down Pokerstars after winning the WSOP is the farthest thing imagineable from being an idiot.

Freedom is much more valuable than money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I agree with you regarding the value of freedom vs money, but people also need to occupy their time and people want careers. My impression of Joe Hachem and Fossilman is that they enjoy being famous for their poker accomplishments, and, as such, it's not a huge burden "working" for pokerstars.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but very few players are actually multi-millionaires (or even close), while others actually do enjoy the spotlight, and many more need the income to subsist as a pro (also, y'know, people seem to still enjoy playing poker tournaments, even though they already won a big one).

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying--if I cleared 5M in a poker tournament, I'd probably spend more time doing other things with my life and enjoying my money and not working for any corporation, but there are a lot of legitimate reasons why someone would choose a different path than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be shocked if Raymer, Moneymaker and Hachem weren't multi millionaires. And as former world champions they are obv the most in demand members of Team Pokerstars by the media and "fans". These three are also the three who would be in a financial position to turn them down.

Obv for Lee Nelson, Noah Boeken, Tom McEvoy and most of the others being in Team Pokerstars makes perfect sense and I don't blame them for accepting, even if I would have great doubts about it myself.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in a group having dinner during the last month's WSOP. Wine was flowing and laughter was the order of the day. It was a vintage evening.

A member of team Pokerstars was there and clearly enjoying himslf as much as anyone... after about an hour he had to make his excuses and leave... Stars wanted him at some function or another.

Just one example.. While at events, they have to give up ALOT of free time to earn their sponsorship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, maybe some of them are this demanding, definitely not all.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but for doing a couple of photo shoots/interviews, PS (whichever site) pays for your tourney buyin, hotel and travel, probably amounting to $12k-13k. Just to speak to a few people and be an ambassador. Sounds like easy money for me..