Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Weird/funny coincidences in your life

i have a couple that are ok-ish.....

last year called a place in portland, or. to book my wife a pedicure during a trip there. it was my gf friend from the 5th grade on the phone. hadn't spoken or thought of her for 15 years. turns out the place was tiny and out of the way, but had gotten good reviews on city search. oh and i was in the process of dialing another place when there was a knock on the door and i came back and for some reason called the second place. we have stayed in touch and our families are friends now.

met a stripper in vegas when i was much younger, hung out forever one night, when she called the next day found out her real name first and last were almost identical(one letter off) to my casual gf at the time. fairly common first name, almost unbelievably uncommon last names, like super ethnic and rare. i thought it was a weird omen of some kind, but nothing really amounted to that much out of it.

called some friends one saturday afternoon who were having a private poker game about 70 miles from my house. asked who was playing. they said players w, x, y, and ray zee. i lol, said oh yeah when are chip and doyle coming? then i came and played. didn't know he even lived in MT, but i had just finished his 7stud book. i went to the game, still sort of thinking it was a joke. pretty big coincidece at the time i thought.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 AM

This one was pretty interesting. When a friend of mine and I were 20 we went over to Atlanta, GA for the SEC Basketball Championship. Ten or so rows ahead of us there were two very attractive girls around our age sitting together and obviously there by themselves. My friend and I considered making a move but never did because we're life nits. When they left we joked how we let our potential future wives just get away and we'd never see them again. Unbelievably, later that night we spotted the same girls at a bar halfway across town from the Georgia Dome. We had fake IDs and obviously told the girls we were older. They told us they were students at UGA, both with boyfriends, and were in town because they had free tickets to the games. After several rounds of shots and drinks we ended up bringing the girls back to our hotel room and laying the wood. I can't remember a bigger coincidence in my life than seeing them at the bar that night. They departed before we awoke and we never heard from or saw them again.

SS
Old 08-20-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BigPoppa - Your blackjack one wins the thread in my opinion.
That's just freaking weird assuming your name isn't John Smith or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it depends on how common the name is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not particulary uncommon name, but can't be too many guys floating around with the same middle name also.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:01 PM

I was at the clinic recently waiting to be tested for some STI's when a man I recognize comes in and sits down. It's obvious to both of us that we have seen each other somewhere before and I am remembering him as a teacher from middle school/highschool (I'm 23). I get home and go through the high school yearbooks, he was my principal for 1 year..

A couple days later I was with my friend who makes weird noises/sounds. So he's driving and he says meh-hew like meh and hue, we come up on a car ahead of us a few seconds later and i spot a red neon, i immediately point out the license plate "ME HEW 2" and try to take a pic with my camera phone that doesn't turn out very clear. My friend was saying meh-hew as a variation of his girlfriend's name megan who we were going to see...truly weird
Old 08-23-2007, 04:10 PM

In 1983, my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Over then next year or so, she was in and out of the hospital getting treatment and whatnot. During this time, my father lost his checkbook and could not find it anywhere. He checked all over our apartment, at the hospital and at his office. He eventually gave up, and closed the account.

In the early part of 1984, my mother's illness was diagnosed as terminal. As part of coping with the reality of my mother's eventual fate, my father asked her to send him a "sign" that she had gotten to hevean alright.

My mother eventually passed on September 15th of 1984. My dad took some time off from work to be at home with me and my sister and deal with the loss. His first day back at the office, he sits at his desk and notices something in his garbage can - it's a checkbook. He picks it up, and low and behold its the checkbook he lost months ago. Now he scoured his office looking for it, and the garbage had been chaged since he was there last, so he was befuddled at this point. He opened up the checkbook to see what check was wrtitten last. It turns out that my mother had wrote the last check, but she had dated it incorreclty in the log. It was dated September 15th, 1984.

There was his sign.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:17 AM

I had two really close friends in college. One was a a woman with a boyfriend named Tom White. He was living in boston, while we were at school in Atlanta. We are tripping in the dorm lounge when this wacko stumbles in. It's funny cause he is more stoned than us. He tells us that he saw a fire extinguisher in the hallway and that we should do something with it. So we tell him, "YEAH DUDE! GO GRAB IT!!!" cuz we're tripping and it sounds like a good idea. Besides, he won't do it. So he comes back with the fire extinguisher. We find out his name is also "Tom White," which is odd. So we run through the hallways spraying the fire extinguisher.

My friend, Pat, and I get arrested, but no proof. I fly to Houston the next morning. Largely due to this incident, and the fact that I am not I am not there, my two friends (one male, one female) develop quite a bond and end up dating. Pat and I get thrown out of the dorms and have to rent a house. Our lives are radically changed. So many things now happen simply because we are living off-campus. I get expelled, we start growing weed, a third roommate moves in, we get robbed, my two friends develop a very close relationship, other friendships are altered, etc.

A year later the 3 of us plus another friend plus my father (who happened to be in town and wanted to take my friends out to eat) are at Outback steakhouse. This guy peers in at our table and says "hi". Anyone know him? "It's Tom, Tom White." Still no recognition. All of a sudden the realization hits one of us, quickly spreads to the other two and our jaws collevtively drop and he walks away. Each one of us is sitting there dumbfounded comtemplating how much our lives have been effected by this one complete stranger.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In 1983, my mother was diagnosed with cancer. Over then next year or so, she was in and out of the hospital getting treatment and whatnot. During this time, my father lost his checkbook and could not find it anywhere. He checked all over our apartment, at the hospital and at his office. He eventually gave up, and closed the account.

In the early part of 1984, my mother's illness was diagnosed as terminal. As part of coping with the reality of my mother's eventual fate, my father asked her to send him a "sign" that she had gotten to hevean alright.

My mother eventually passed on September 15th of 1984. My dad took some time off from work to be at home with me and my sister and deal with the loss. His first day back at the office, he sits at his desk and notices something in his garbage can - it's a checkbook. He picks it up, and low and behold its the checkbook he lost months ago. Now he scoured his office looking for it, and the garbage had been chaged since he was there last, so he was befuddled at this point. He opened up the checkbook to see what check was wrtitten last. It turns out that my mother had wrote the last check, but she had dated it incorreclty in the log. It was dated September 15th, 1984.

There was his sign.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a pretty cool story.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:07 PM

What's the KKF story?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason I am amused by such stories and am hoping ElD'ers would have some slightly better stories than just your run-of-the-mill ones like "I dreamt 4-6-7 on the pick 3 lottery, went and played it...and it won!!!" or, "I was in the middle of Paris and I randomly bumped into some good friend of mine from NY."

This is also an excuse to tell my favorite one which really doesn't involve me but at least it's my family.

--

In early 1970s my Dad makes a scientific discovery regarding the relationship of the production of Glutathione Peroxidase in the livers of mammals solely due to intake of Selenium.
Something like that anyway. The discovery was in various science publications. look up 'Rotruck Selenium Glutathione' on google for more.

My Dad wasn't exactly world-famous for his scientific contribution/discovery but it did get him some limited notoriety in the field I guess.

Anyway, fast-forward 25 or so years and my sister is taking her first crack at the board-exam to become a veterinarian.
Evidently this is an incredibly tense time and I think most people fail on their first shot at it and have to wait 6 months just to get to take it again.
Everyone is nervous and it's a very tense atmosphere.

They open the booklets and the very first question asks what nutrient has been determined to be solely responsible for the production of Glutathione Peroxidase in mammals.
My sister literally LOL'ed in the middle of the big exam room (everyone turned and looked at her like she must have just lost her mind) because the first question on this exam was her own Dad's rather obscure scientific-discovery.

Weird.

She naturally took this as some sort of sign that she would do just fine and, in fact, she did pass.

Okay, so this probably isn't the weirdest that you guys can come up with but I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

[/ QUOTE ]'

So earlier tonight I was like...OI could use some pot.

Then all of a sudden BOOM there is this guy who sells pot and I get his number.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:27 PM

My sister was pregnant with twins back in 2001 and 1 was diagnosed with a fatal disease, Trisomy 13, and we knew that she would either die before birth, at birth, or shortly thereafter. She found this out in January, and she elected not to do the elective abortion and named the twins.

The healthy one was named Julissa and the sick one was named Jocelyn.

2 weeks after naming the twins she recieved her plates to her new mini van and it was "4Joc358"

We new the 4 Joc meant "For Jocelyn" and the 3 ended up standing for the day home that she died (3rd day home) and the 58 stood for the minute of death (10:58am).

T