Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Presenting... better know a pogger

[ QUOTE ]

Haha. I do the same thing with smoking/drinking. Drink occasionaly, never smokes, except cigars occasionally. I didn't think anyone else my age did that.

[/ QUOTE ]

*waves* hey stupid. I do that.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:21 PM

I really have no idea what to say, but I feel left out by not posting.

err, I guess my name is Ryan and I'm 19 years old living in Vancouver Canada. Although, I go to McGill University in Montreal, and just completeled my first year of my BCOM there. I've done martial arts my whole life, with a black belt in Hapkido (for those who care), and am now heavily involved in Brazilian Jiujitsu (the ground work they do in the UFC). I'm a really small guy, about 5'4, half chinese, half white, born in Singapore.

I'm pretty much your normal teenager...I party (drink but no drugs), go to movies, clubs and whatever else is fun :P
Old 06-10-2006, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome zero, thanks. How does a nice young girl get involved in astrophysics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I dunno, but since the 8th grade I've felt that its the most fascinating subject so I've stuck with it. The field just seems so endless.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I dunno, but since the 8th grade I've felt that its the most fascinating subject so I've stuck with it. The field just seems so endless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite the opposite really.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite the opposite really.

[/ QUOTE ]
The field of study or the object of study?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:53 PM

OK, here's mine. I am 48 and yes, I really am kyros mother. (I don’t know who “kyrosfather” is – but I can promise you it is not kyro’s father. He knows how to get to www.weather.com and that is about it….)

I’ve been married 23 years and have two kids - kyro (22) and kyroette (19). I was born and raised in NH. I studied in Salzburg, Austria my junior year in college and traveled throughout Europe during that time. I slept in more train stations than you can imagine, because they were cheaper than youth hostels. I met Ian Drury and the Blockheads on a train ride from Denmark to Germany. It was quite an “experience”. They invited to stay in Hamburg with them and attend their concert as their guest. They also offered to send me tickets and a backstage pass to their NYC concert. I declined the offer at the time - I guess I missed my chance to be a rock groupie….

I spent the first 5 years of my “career” in social work, working with abused and neglected children. When kyro was born, I knew I could no longer work in that job and maintain my sanity. I had to leave that field – because it would eventually destroy any faith I had in mankind.

Today I have my MBA and am an IT project manager. When nobody is looking, I go back to my first love - programming. I have a motorcycle, love researching genealogy, reading, NFL and college football, basketball…and gymnastics (kyroette is a gymnast – obviously a mutated gene, as I was a basketball/softball player and could not have done a cartwheel to save my life.) I play very low-stakes poker ($10 NL tourneys). I am good enough to make a little money – not good enough to make a lot. I play for fun – not income.

I have never done any form of illegal drugs – ever. It was just something I chose not to do. I never passed judgment on my friends that did, nor they on me. I gave up cigarettes 26 years ago when my father died on my birthday. Best decision I ever made. I drink socially, but rarely. I loathe people who do drugs/alcohol and then drive. If you want to kill yourself, that is one thing – don’t kill others too. I was raised Catholic, but do not actively practice Catholicism. I think religion is a personal choice and doesn’t need to be discussed here. Nor do abortion, gay marriages, or politics. I have opinions about all of these like everyone else – and I respect everyone’s right to their opinions. Anyone who doesn't has probably never walked in the other person's shoes.

I got into WW because of kyro. Not because I wanted to, but because things have been hard for him these past two years and I wanted to know where he was spending a lot of his time. Frankly, I didn’t approve of these games at first – and felt he could find better things to do with his free time. But, as I read them, I found sometimes I could not stop laughing. Sometimes I would laugh so hard I would cry. I also found them a fascinating study of human behavior.

I am often impressed at the “community” that has grown here and am fascinated at the different walks of life. None of us really know if the other is making stories up or telling the truth, but I believe that many have found support and/or a sympathetic ear here when they have needed it. That can never be a bad thing. I feel like I have gotten to know some of you better over time, a PM or IM here, a wolf chat there, and I really do appreciate those of you who have made me feel welcome and a part of the group. Amp will always have a special place in my heart and he probably doesn’t even know why.

Finally - I feel I am very blessed to have a son who is comfortable enough about himself to let his mother hang around. Seriously - how many of you would want your mothers here?

My philosophy on life? You can never change what you did in the past, you can only change what you do in the future.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:55 PM

The field. Physics and Astronomy are fields of diminishing returns. This means that the more they are studied the less new information will found out because we get closer to "learning" it all as time marches forward.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The field. Physics and Astronomy are fields of diminishing returns. This means that the more they are studied the less new information will found out because we get closer to "learning" it all as time marches forward.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow I don't agree at all. Do you really think that we are closer to learning "it all" than the greeks were? (I do think we have "better" answers) We don't even have a unified theory of how the fundamental forces work within one context.

Do you also feel like we are closer to knowing "it all" in medicine, biology and genetics?
Old 06-10-2006, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow I don't agree at all. Do you really think that we are closer to learning "it all" than the greeks were? (I do think we have "better" answers) We don't even have a unified theory of how the fundamental forces work within one context.

Do you also feel like we are closer to knowing "it all" in medicine, biology and genetics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely we have. All of the easy stuff in Physics has been figured out, and only the hard stuff is left. I am not saying we have currently "figured it all out" or that these fields will not be rewarding for zero. I am saying that to think they are endless is misleading, as they are much, much smaller then they were even 100 years ago.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:07 PM

As per biology, medicine, genetics, that is slightly different. These fields are less "theoretical" and more practical. Also, I know much less about these fields, but I would suspect there is an upper limit to science in general, and the individual limits of each science only vary in the time taken to reach them.