Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Learning to eat everything

Cauliflower has almost no flavor by itself and is totally dependent on how you cook them. Since I almost stir fry all my vegs, I don't eat them. Broccoli tastes much better anyway.

Eggplant: I slice them not too thin, place slices on rack, and salt liberally on both sides. Let sit for 15-30 minutes. Then literally wring them like a sponge (don't get too agressive or you'll rip them). The water will squeeze out. Then you can cook them however you like (in pasta, stir fry, whatever). All the bad eggplant I've ever had was because it was soggy.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:57 PM

Al,

I think The Man Who Ate Everything sucked really bad and when he judges on Iron Chef he is just an annoying, pretentious a-hole.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:01 PM

Diablo - haha fair enough... and yes, when Steingarten is on Iron Chef America I do kind of want to punch him...

-Al
Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al,

I think The Man Who Ate Everything sucked really bad and when he judges on Iron Chef he is just an annoying, pretentious a-hole.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
Old 03-15-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 41 and I would like to be able to eat "everything." But there are some things I just can't stand:

Eggs- the smell of scrambled eggs makes me wretch

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only person who felt this way. I can't even be in the kitchen when someone is making eggs. I've vomited just from being in the same room as someone frying up an egg. Scrambled eggs aren't quite as bad, but they still elicit a reaction from me. I even dislike being near someone peeling a fresh hard-boiled egg.

This makes eating out for breakfast fairly tough, since everything comes with eggs. I end up getting pancakes or waffles or frech toast (which don't bother me, strangely enough).

El D seems to dislike a lot of foods I like, for the very reasons that I like those foods. I love the texture of raw oysters or a spicy scallop sushi roll or a properly-cooked liver. As people have said over and over in this thread, the problem to watch out for is overcooking. Many of these foods are prepared with melted butter in American restaurants. One thing that some Asians do is to eat these foods with vinegar-based sauces. If that feels scary, something citrus-y will do. Maybe a Japanese ponzu sauce, possibly watered down with soy sauce or another liquid.

Some popular preparations of clams in restaurants include fried and red or white clam sauce with pasta. I have also used clams in a seafood white lasagna. Clams and mussels also work as a throw-in ingredient in a seafood-oriented paella.

I'm used to eating the body of crabs and opening up the shell myself. I'm also used to eating head-on shrimp that you have to peel. The idea seemed a bit gross to me before, but I learned the joys of pulling off the head and sucking out the juicy goodness before eating the body of the shrimp.

I can understand why some people dislike cartilage and tendon. I used to dislike it. I learned to love it when I started ordering the Vietnamese soup pho with beef tendon. Now, I can't imagine doing otherwise.

I learned to like tomato juice by drinking bloody marys. I'm guessing people here mostly won't even touch a bloody caesar, which is a bloody mary, minus the tomato juice, plus Clamato juice.

I want to eat more vegetables, but I can't stand asparagus and brocolli. I'm not particularly fond of okra, either.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:34 PM

Mmmm...4.5lbs of awesomeness!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:38 PM

I will eat almost anything. There is one major exception though. For all you sushi lovers, anyone ever try Uni? It is sea urchin and it is the worst tasting thing I have ever tried in my life.

On another note, El Diablo you are from NY right? If so, go try lobster at Francisco Centro Vasco. Get it baked. Trust me this place is the best in the city for good big lobster.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:57 PM

I'm kinda late on this thread. I've been trying new things the last couple years. I'm too friggin' picky with my taste buds. Lo and behold, I've found some stuff I didn't like long ago I like now. So I try and force myself to try something new.

I do prefer seeing some stuff before getting it though. Like in a restaurant. It can be tough to just 'take a shot' with something when you don't really know what it will be like at all. Which is one good thing about going with buds who'll give ya a taste of their plate. But this is one reason I like cookbooks with pictures in it.

[ QUOTE ]
Clams - I guess I'm ok w/ clam chowder. Hmmm... Not even sure where you eat clams otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steamers! God, I love a plate of steamers. Great snack to have while conversing.

b
Old 03-16-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mmmm...4.5lbs of awesomeness!

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks awesome. I love Chinese lobster and crab dishes. So much more interesting than boil and drown in butter.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:01 PM

Good post.

I'll have the lot but I'll never relish offal.