Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: **OFFICIAL 2007 Cleveland Indians Thread**

It's Lofton for Max Ramirez (catching prospect we got for Wickman last year...he'll probably have to move to 1B, and BP isn't all that high on him).

This move creates a true logjam in our OF. I wonder if we'll see a Francisco + Fernando Cabrera for Dotel deal soon. The Dodgers have reportedly given up on getting Dotel, making us the frontrunners (and we refuse to give up Gutierrez for him).
Old 07-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Shame to see Ramirez go, he was great in the futures game (has a nice arm). We really could use a backup catcher prospect in 2-3 years. Getting Kenny Lofton isn't a really big acquisition, though it does ring true sentimentally. They should just play him over Trot Nixon, though I'm sure they won't. God, I hate Nixon - for god's sake, just play Michaels/Gutierrez + Sizemore + Choo/Francisco. We already have enough platoons - let the young guys play.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM

Not a massive fan of that trade. We need a power hitter, not a 40 year old who has slugged over .500 once in his career(1994). Certainly not another "OK but not really good" corner outfielder, of whom we now have like 30.

Ramirez was a real prospect, too.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM

You guys are 7th in the MLB in SLG%... And that is with Hafner having an off-year so far and Nixon getting way too much playing time. In fact, the team's SLG% is basically exactly the same as Hafner's.

You are also 1HR behind Detroit for the AL team hr lead, 4th in the MLB in overall scoring... Quit being greedy. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 02:39 PM

You can never have enough OPS :P
Old 07-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Lee to AAA. Mujica up, that is surely temporary. Lee's spot does not come up again until late next week.

Enjoy Buffalo you bum.

KJS
Old 07-27-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shame to see Ramirez go, he was great in the futures game (has a nice arm). We really could use a backup catcher prospect in 2-3 years. Getting Kenny Lofton isn't a really big acquisition, though it does ring true sentimentally. They should just play him over Trot Nixon, though I'm sure they won't. God, I hate Nixon - for god's sake, just play Michaels/Gutierrez + Sizemore + Choo/Francisco. We already have enough platoons - let the young guys play.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a good prospect, but Max is no lock to be a starter. He's basically Garko lite, and I'm still shocked that Garko has hit so well this year.

Good BP snippet on Max: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/un...?s=max+ramirez
Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Not a massive fan of that trade. We need a power hitter, not a 40 year old who has slugged over .500 once in his career(1994). Certainly not another "OK but not really good" corner outfielder, of whom we now have like 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lofton is a significant upgrade over what we had playing out there, offensively and defensively. It cost us a prospect who was 2-3 years away from contributing and is blocked at the three possible positions (DH, C 1b) for quite a few years. Most realistically it cost us a 2nd or 3 rd string catcher. I would assume that they will release Nixon when Dellucci is healthy since they owe DD a lot more money and there is still a chance that he could contribute to the team next year as a 4th outfielder. I can't imagine that they would send Gutierez down without some kind of meltdown in his performance.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lofton is a significant upgrade over what we had playing out there, offensively and defensively. It cost us a prospect who was 2-3 years away from contributing and is blocked at the three possible positions (DH, C 1b) for quite a few years. Most realistically it cost us a 2nd or 3 rd string catcher. I would assume that they will release Nixon when Dellucci is healthy since they owe DD a lot more money and there is still a chance that he could contribute to the team next year as a 4th outfielder. I can't imagine that they would send Gutierez down without some kind of meltdown in his performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

He won't get cut. When DD returns in September, the rosters will be expanded to 40 players, so there will be no need to cut anyone. What should be interesting is who makes the roster if/when we make the playoffs. One of Gutierrez, DD, and Nixon won't make it...I think we all know which one shouldn't make it, but I'm a little worried that FGutz will get squeezed "because he's young" or something.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:51 PM

trot nixon (aka sux dixon) is so fking bad

Trot Nixon: .253/.349/.349
Franklin Gutierrez: .296/.336/.528
Shin-Soo Choo (2006): .295/.373/.473

fdsghsdhkjsdhksjhkdsjhlksdhj