Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Beat: My parents are retarded

Guys he's 18, he can call a $45 meal expensive.
Most kids consider Applebees a ballin date.

OP,
I would tell your parents to back off. There is the chance they take away your tuition money, but I wouldn't want that threat lingering over my head anyway. If you are decent at poker the money shouldn't be that hard to attain, and you will probably have a much better time at college.

I also wouldn't pass up dorm life to live with my brother/his wife but don't really know your situation.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:06 PM

yeah wtf at living with your brother and his wife at college, that is such a huge beat for about a million reasons and you don't even know it yet
Old 08-05-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you should thank your parents.
Online poker is rigged, winning is a fallacy. Someone posted the definitive proof here earlier. (Search for it)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
, my dad immediately flipped out and quoted some story he had heard from a coworker that online poker was rigged.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this already wraps it...

[/ QUOTE ]
his father doesnt work at the FBI does he?
Old 08-05-2007, 02:44 PM

1) Don't comingle poker and life money: let mom have access to life money-you control your poker money
2) Always carry cash. There will be plenty of times in your life that you will need cash, many of them unexpected. Car breakdowns, sudden sales, +EV spur of the moment gambles.
3) You got lucky by not getting lucky with that psycho. Believe it.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:15 AM

Actually, things turned out for the best on that date. She was a psycho bitch in disguise, and you got to find out about it early before you got too involved with her. Plus you saved $45!

About your parents though... I know they're strict, but seriously you have to do something about it. Just start out small... open a new bank account and transfer part of your money over, just so you'll have a card that you KNOW will work.

You said "but they'll notice the balance changed!"... well, so what? What are they going to do to you that's so terrible? Simply explain that you needed to have a debit card you can rely on, after being embarrassed by the steakhouse experience. You now have a perfectly good reason to justify it.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:18 AM

If that were my bank, I'd probably be overdrafted. Bastards.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And who carries around only one credit card/debit card? Again, unballer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't have any credit cards. My credit is shot from a bunch of [censored] ups in early college years. Paying for everything in cash has its own balla advantages, example (true story):

New Landlord: Ok, just fill out these papers and we'll be all set.
Me: Ummm...yah all this banking and credit stuff, is this optional?
New Landlord: Well, no, why?
Me: I don't deal with credit any more.
New Landlord: ????????????????????????? Well you need credit because...(goes on rant about how I can't do anything in life without credit and I really should start to build it, etc.)
Me: Uhh...yah...so...how much cash do you need up front to forget this piece of paper and everything you just said?
New Landlord: Well...i guess first 4 months, last 2 months, and security deposit (total=7k), but really you should work on getting credit....(more ranting)
Me: Here. (hands him 7k in hundos)
New Landlord: Ok, you can move in on Tuesday.
Me: Thank you.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
u realize.. if u set up your own accounts.. u can 'instatransfer' yourself money without having to ask your dads permission right? ur just letting your dad have control of you. thats fine if its comfortable, but u gotta get out of it sometime..

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes 3 business days to transfer from HSBC savings to my Wells Fargo checking, whereas my dad also has Wells Fargo so transfers are instant.

It has nothing to do with 'control', he thinks it's cool that I play poker and make good money doing it. It's not like he's trying to keep a close watch on my financial activities and that's his secret motivation for doing it. I just moved to another city though, and there's an HSBC branch here, which eliminates one of the bigger obstacles (not having a branch) from moving my business to HSBC permanently.

nath,

I have not in fact told this to any girls. Do you think they would be impressed by my responsible saving? Maybe I'll bust this one out in a couple years when I get another date.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
haha yeah I thought of making an Outback joke but the whole story is pretty ridiculous that picking out that part seemed weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, it is def ridiculous i know. basically i was just seeing if anyone else's parents are (or were, i know there is a wide range of ages in these forums) as insanely strict as mine are. like most of my friends, their parents don't give a [censored], they never had a curfew and pretty much did whatever the hell they wanted. it just has never been like that for me. don't get me wrong i appreciate that my parents care, i just think they care a little too much

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents aren't as strict about online poker, but I've always had a curfew earlier than my friends, and I'm 18, go to college in 2 weeks and they are being really lame about stuff. One time I cashed some money out on partypoker, and my mom "made" me stop playing. Now, as long as I'm winning they don't care. You should tell them about your success, and maybe give them some of the articles/ posts some people have made about how online poker is not rigged. If they are paying for your college they can always have control. If they use it (mine do), you are basically f-ed. If they don't have any control over you then it doesn't really matter what they think.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:01 AM

my mom did teh same thing when I wanted to go get my bike license...