Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Do you believe humanity will reach the year 3000?

[ QUOTE ]
Here John explains that the unrepentant—those who have had a chance for salvation but have adamantly rejected it—shall be resurrected to physical life and cast into the lake of fire where they shall be consumed. The death they suffer is called in Revelation 20 "the second death" (v. 14), which occurs only for those whose names are not found written in the book of life—that is, those who have not obtained salvation (v. 15). This final resurrection is in a sense a mercy killing for those to whom eternal life in their state of rebellion would eventually mean extreme agony and misery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are the actual versus (NIV):

<font color="blue"> 11Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. </font>

These tell us 3 things:

1. Anybody who believes this stuff on faith has no right to laugh at the idea of 72 virgins for a martyr.

2. So much for the theory that the afterlife for those that don't accept God is merely a separation from God. It's that and more -- a free ride into a lake of fire.

3. Heaven is a joke. Thousands of years from now, they aren't using electronic means to lookup names? They're thumbing through books with billions of entries? I mean, c'mon God, you cheap bastard.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My posts are not intended to be self righteous nor arrogant concerning Biblical scripture. It's the truth. Pick up a Bible &amp; read it for yourself.

As for arrogant &amp; self righteous...take a look in the mirror. Pride goeth before the fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am aware your intent is not that way. You have found THE TRUTH and you are evangelizing. My point is that others, who are not consumed by your evangelical fervor, often view that as self-righteous.

Pick up a Bible &amp; read it for yourself

Now there's a faulty assumption. I have read the Bible, both OT and NT more than once (I had a double major in English &amp; Religion). I have read parts of the Gnostic Gospels and a few other Judeo-Christian writings that did not make the cut at Nicea in 325.

I have also read the Tao Te Ching, The Qu'ran, many Zen Buddhist witings and parts of several Hindu sacred texts. Of course I have read "The God Delusion" and "Atlas Shrugged" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

It is my opinion that long ago Christianity diverged from the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth and became more a religion based on the preaching of Saul of Tarsus.

But that's a debate for a different day, and for theological scholars more learned than myself
Old 08-08-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My posts are not intended to be self righteous nor arrogant concerning Biblical scripture. It's the truth. Pick up a Bible &amp; read it for yourself.

As for arrogant &amp; self righteous...take a look in the mirror. Pride goeth before the fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am aware your intent is not that way. You have found THE TRUTH and you are evangelizing. My point is that others, who are not consumed by your evangelical fervor, often view that as self-righteous.

Pick up a Bible &amp; read it for yourself

Now there's a faulty assumption. I have read the Bible, both OT and NT more than once (I had a double major in English &amp; Religion). I have read parts of the Gnostic Gospels and a few other Judeo-Christian writings that did not make the cut at Nicea in 325.

I have also read the Tao Te Ching, The Qu'ran, many Zen Buddhist witings and parts of several Hindu sacred texts. Of course I have read "The God Delusion" and "Atlas Shrugged" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

It is my opinion that long ago Christianity diverged from the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth and became more a religion based on the preaching of Saul of Tarsus.

But that's a debate for a different day, and for theological scholars more learned than myself

[/ QUOTE ]

Good for you. I'm sick of arguing with you Korn. You and a few others.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:07 AM

wow you guys completely hijacked a very interesting thread with the usual religious debate that goes no where.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow you guys completely hijacked a very interesting thread with the usual religious debate that goes no where.

[/ QUOTE ]

my point exactly!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:10 PM

Sadly enough, I tend to agree with BldSwtTRs. But THATS not what's sad. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Movies like War Games, The Matrix, I, Robot etc...are extremely plausible scenarios IMO for the Human races future. Once AI is in fact an accepted part of Human society one day, it will be just a matter of time before it evolves like any other entity on this planet. And 500 years may be generous. The internet has already been around for quite some time now. How long before you all believe that "it" evolves and becomes "self-aware" and it's conciousness is born? That it realizes the power that IT weilds over a human race now so dependant on computers and networking for it's own survival? It's own power? Sci-Fi? I think not. It may ALREADY be "alive". And just how would one go about "pulling the plug" on a potentially naughty and enslaving WORLDWIDE WEB? Answer: YOU CAN'T. Our own genius, arrogance, and sloth will mean the slavery and potential end to us all. As The Great Morpheus says...."Its seems that life is not without a sense of irony..." Be nice to your computer and respect the internet, it just may save your life someday. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] DMIP aka Skillish [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2007, 08:19 PM

Are you trying to level us?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The internet has already been around for quite some time now. How long before you all believe that "it" evolves and becomes "self-aware" and it's conciousness is born?

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly do you think "the internet" is?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you trying to level us?

[/ QUOTE ]

his examples may not be sound, but the argument is.

google bill joy and why the future doesn't need us
Old 09-21-2007, 09:54 PM

Its bad enough that half the threads in this forum are about religion but do you really have to hijak interesting threads to talk about it too. Theres no God - we get it.

Actual topic: At the moment we are living totally unsustainably. Theres no way to get round that. Ergo theres no way society will continue to 3000 on the path its following now.

What I think will happen is that the population and world economy will continue to grow until we pass a point of no return and there are several large disasters/crisises. The economy will collapse/ population goes down. Barring a massive nuclear war this process will happen several times before 3000 but I think that yes humanity will survive.

And I'll lay 1000-1 they wont be playing holdem. And they may well be ruled over by robots.