Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Winning in Tough Hold \'em Games

[ QUOTE ]

Thats funny, my leather bound copy of SSII is both saddle stitched and glued. In fact all hardcover books I own are the same way.. LOTS of glue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went and checked a bunch of my own books. Some of them showed clear signs of both stitching and glueing (Super/System, modern hardbound novels) but the ones whose binding one would expect to be good quality (dictionaries etc.) showed no obvious signs of glue and plenty of sign of stitching: pages stitched into signatures and signatures stitched into the spine.

Guy.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Winning in Tough Hold 'em Games should be available on April 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fab news.

Question for anyone: I live in the UK but will be going to Vegas April 18-22.
Would the quickest way for me to get my hands on this book be to buy it in Vegas? And if so, where should I go?

Cheers,

Guy.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Winning in Tough Hold 'em Games should be available on April 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fab news.

Question for anyone: I live in the UK but will be going to Vegas April 18-22.
Would the quickest way for me to get my hands on this book be to buy it in Vegas? And if so, where should I go?

Cheers,

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Guy, have you ever tried Highstakes book shop in Great Ormond Street they normally get copies really quickly.

chez
Old 03-17-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thats funny, my leather bound copy of SSII is both saddle stitched and glued. In fact all hardcover books I own are the same way.. LOTS of glue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just went and checked a bunch of my own books. Some of them showed clear signs of both stitching and glueing (Super/System, modern hardbound novels) but the ones whose binding one would expect to be good quality (dictionaries etc.) showed no obvious signs of glue and plenty of sign of stitching: pages stitched into signatures and signatures stitched into the spine.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats correct. Glue in that situation is just temporary as the binding process takes place. Thats why book collectors often look at the spines, the binding, and the seam.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah Mason, please make hardcover special editions (hearts and diamonds in red PLEASE), I d be willing to pay 40-50$ for such a book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would re-buy a [censored] of my 2+2 books if they were available with the same (or similar) paper, hardcover, with Hearts & Diamonds in red at a price point of $50-60 each.

My "Buy Tomorrow" list would include:

HOH (all of them)
SSH
NLH:T&P
HPFAP

Also on my "Buy Tomorrow" list would be Tough Hold'em Games, Ed's new book and any Harrington cash game books.

And I might also buy several other 2+2s that I don't own, like other "for Advanced Players" titles and Mason's Essays.

(OK, I ALREADY own all the Essays, but I don't think they'd be on my "Buy Tomorrow" list. More like my "By Next Payday" list.)

To further chime in, I like the high quality paper because I like to highlight extensivly, usually during my second or third read through. Yes, the binding on 2+2 books is somewhat similar to vicegrip pliars. But by my third read through I find it it nicely worn in. Yes, if I was dumb enough to take the book off the shelf and lay it flat the very first day, the binding would crack and the pages would fall out. Thank goodness I've read enough expensive soft cover books that I know not to do that.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Properly breaking them in will go a long way towards helping them lay open. I learned how to do this in a 5th grade library science class, more years ago than I care to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding Ding Ding !!!! We have a winner!

Break-in the binding before you read it, and the binding won't crack later.

Jimmy, I may have been sitting next to you in that class, all those years ago.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldnt publishers make books that are spiral bound instead? or wouldnt that be practical?

[/ QUOTE ]

God, I hate spiral bound books. Lots of people who don't like the standard 2+2 binding say to get the book, take it to Kinko's and have them spiral bind it. More power to you, if that's what you like, but I'd rather never buy a spiral bound poker book.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:53 PM

hello mason.

I am curious in the new book coming up about some questions I would like to ask you about all new upcoming books,,

1. what chapter are looking forward to the most feedback on
in other words the chapter that you are hoping will affect readers the most.

2. what if there is a sequal would you wish you could add,

3. in order to enjoy this book , which logical progression of two plus two books do you reccomend for us to study .
aka since it is a limit book i assume no limit and theory would be a optional reccomendation after the book is read for example.
while theory of poker would be an after book or a before book?.
for sure small stakes hold them, and hold them for advanced players a must read before reading this book ?.

4. and basically what will this book do for someone who has read hold them for advanced players as opposed to just one who has small stakes hold them.
will it just fill it out,, or greatly add to one game, if they put their nose to the grindstone.

5. and finally what else would you want us all to know about this book ,
I know two plus two is behind this book 100 percent that is why they are publishing it.
so you must greatly appreciate its quality.
there must be one or two little things my question didnt' cover aka,, this book changed the way you think about poker in some aspects.
or gave you a suprising read when you first read it.
these behind the scenes commentary is what I appreciate knowing when a new book comes out that I am looking forward to.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Couldnt publishers make books that are spiral bound instead? or wouldnt that be practical?

[/ QUOTE ]

God, I hate spiral bound books. Lots of people who don't like the standard 2+2 binding say to get the book, take it to Kinko's and have them spiral bind it. More power to you, if that's what you like, but I'd rather never buy a spiral bound poker book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi P,

I dont know if i particularly like spiral bound either, i was just wondering if they were any easier to study from. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your paper is obviously high quality - it is thick.

The rigidity of the 2+2 spine due to the thickness of the paper is the problem IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to highlight passages as I read so I can find them again later. The heavier 2+2 paper stock lets the words stay highlighted forever. I've noticed highlights in my poker books on cheaper stock fade quickly.
I like the heavier stock, but that's just a personal preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I'll gladly take the stiff binding so long as I have a I have thick, quality paper that can stand up to highlighting. Highlighting with an over-the-counter highlighter.

I have a bible on my nightstand. It wasn't expensive, about the same price as a high-end 2+2. I've had it for many years and it still holds together. It lays flat whenever I open it, and always has. Even the first day. But the paper is tissue thin. I highlight that book as well, but I have to buy special, crayon-type highlighters or just one pass would soak through 6-8 pages.

Give me quality paper. I'll deal with the stiff binding.