Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: How did you get where you current are?

Started playing online a little more than a year ago. I sucked and lost a few hundred. Eventually, I took about half of my $200 paycheck (earning $7 an hour making food, I'm in college.) Won a $20 Pokeroom tourney, ran good at small buy in NL, then ran good at 2/4, had a roll fo 2k, quit my job, and I have never looked back.

Ran well in tournaments early this year, won a ME seat, spent two weeks in Vegas and lost tons of money playing blackjack (very stupid,) but ran very well last month showing over 15k in profit in tournaments. Over this time I have ran at about 1.5bb/100 at limits from 3/6 to 10/20, where I now play shorthanded across a wide variety of sites with a roll of about 20k.

As long as I don't find out I suck by next spring, I will probably be playing full time when I graduate.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:08 AM

Played goofy nickle dime gams in college

Looking for a fun home game got drafted in a Wendesday "watch the WPT and play poker game"

Got hooked.

Depo-ed 50 lost.

Found 2+2

Depo-ed another 50 (almost lost then, when I tiltly put almost the very last of my buyin in on the river with Ace high, the other guy timed out, I won, untilted).

Eventually I ran that up to 3.6K playing mostly 6 max limit games, then down to 1.3K playing 3/6 full (gg Quest for Rakeback), and then back up to just north of 4.2K playing 3/6 6 max.

Somewhere in there I won 4.5K in a staggering festival of luck/listening to SpicyF in a party step tournment, but that just paid off my car and never hit my roll.

(there's a more detailed version of this in my old "Cards is Fun" post).

ETA- crap, I thought this thread was in general, ignore my tiny bankrolless ass...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 PM

october 2003: i have 1k in my bank account from working and am in school, i decide that poker seems interesting and put 50 bucks into party and lost and repeated a few times. after the third time i ran it to 1k, my nl bankroll was at 10k before i quit in may 2005. i started playing limit in july 2005 at the .25/.5 level and then to .5/1. then i jumped to 2/4 full. then 3/6 full, then i learned 3/6 6m, then i learned 5/10 6m. at this point my game is 5/10 6m. but i def am not satisfied with just being a winning player at 5/10. hopefully there will be much more of a story to tell in the future.

rj
Old 04-18-2006, 06:38 AM

Here I'll chime in with a piece of prose.

Before I had played online poker, I had a little dabbling into live poker. I used to play Magic the Gathering (at this time semi-pro) when I was 19, and in the card club we played at, sometimes with some other Magic players we would play Holdem as well. It was $1 ante Holdem, with $2 and $4 betting structure (2 guilders, etc but translates to this structure in $) Yes, this game is pretty much a crapshoot considering the amount of money in the pot, but I did end up being a winning player there, even though 1 guy cheated, and 2 guys teamplayed. After being about up $2100 in it, I tilted, lost $800 and quit poker forever (yeah right).

Fast forward four years. I hear of Magic players who choose poker over magic. Confused as I am, since these players are extremely good, why would they forfeit playing in a tournament where they can win $20000 over poker? I learn more and slowly hear there's much more money in online poker.

In the end I decide to swap $100 real money for $100 online. This first $100 online disappeared pretty quickly on .5/1 on paradise, while this friend was watching and he assured me that although I didn't play very well, I was also very unlucky. I decide to try for another $100, and end up swinging between $30 and $300 for approximately a month in this game. Eventually I break the $300 and it slowly starts growing, and I promise a friend I will buy her a ticket to a rave if I hit the $1000 before the rave. I manage to break that, and win a $20 tournament in paradise for $660 which was my BIG TOURNAMENT WIN in this pokerstory.

I find out about Pokerstars and Partypoker, start playing there a bit as well, and through MTTs, SNGs and limit I keep on progressing through the game, build up the roll to about 8k, hit another psychological barrier at 10k, and never get past the 10k. I cash out some, head towards 10k again, still can't break it. Eventually, play deteriorates, and after a while, I am down to the last $200, together with some roommates who basically went through the same process. We make a propbet for some retardedly small amount, to race each other to $1k. I don't win, but finish 2nd. After that our game was back in gear and bankrolls start growing again, I get back to about $8k, and I graduated from university. At this point I knew I could beat the games up to 10/20 and 2/4NL, and 215sngs. Decide to give poker a shot, but accidentally get addicted to WoW. During a break from that game, we went on a holiday to Vegas, I win about 12k there with 215 sngs (dont ask) and a MTT score in Vegas itself. Eat the roll, and was down to $200 again beginning of this year. Quit the devil of a game, when I looked at the /played, and multiplied that time with $5 an hour, and realised the opportunity cost. One of my new years resolutions was to make $100k with poker this year, and I had to do it off that $200. Start playing some headsups again on stars, win a bit, take a shot at the $55+5s when roll hit $600, won the first two, played some more, hit a massive heater and at $6k, ran some 10/20 6max, bankroll grew to about 10k, do one of my pokerprojects, which is basically a shot as well but forces me to focus completely on one table, that ends up +6k, and I play some more sngs and full ring. Currently still there, playing some 30/60 when I think the games look good or 215s when I think 30/60 doesn't look so hot. Not doing any NL Cash atm, because I don't feel as confident in that game.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:48 PM

I started out playing with a mere $50 deposit into Pokerroom. I played the .25/50 tables for at least 3 days, learning everything I could about the game. Now, 4 days later, I play TWO .25/50 tables at the SAME TIME, and my BR has been built up to $54. I have never looked back.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:25 AM

bump due to recent thread.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:55 PM

great thread, real cool to see how many different paths people have taken.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:53 PM

I started with I think $25 to clear the pokerroom refer a friend bonus rat holing nl 25. Clear the bonus continue raping tiny NL games. Moved to SNGs where I eventually was beating the 215s for what I thought was huge money at the time.
Then started playing Mtts. After my friend kept ragging on me for not playing real poker, I try cash (2/4 and 3/6) and run very good for my first 100k hands.

In the fall I cashed out most of my roll (bc of neteller party dying etc). Decide its a good time to try 2k and get slaughtered. At the same time a guy I'm backing drops 15k. Took me a lil while to rebuild, but with some help from backers I'm back to donkaments 5/10 and 10/20.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:30 PM

I have class soon so this is going to be typed quickly and hard to read. Start with 50 a couple years ago, go broke, do it again go broke, do it again and play 25/50 cents Razz on FTP like a nit and eventually 25/50 cents-1/2 pretty much all the games like a nit until I have about 800. Be a pretty terrible losing player at 2/4-3/6 live, discover 2+2 when trying to learn about Omaha 8.

Learn how to play poker about 15 months ago when I get PT/PAHUD and like a million 2+2 books and play 1/2 6max LHE till I had 1800, move up to 3/6. Move up to 5/10 when I have about 4500 run good at first till I have about 6k at which point I start playing 8/16 live as well. Run terrible in a shot at 10/20 and 15/30 Stud 8 and move back down to 3/6. Win it all back at 3/6 LHE and run good live and lose/breakeven for 50k hands 5/10 online until I have about 10k but am playing the same games. Stop running awful online until I have about 8k online and 6k live and am playing 20/40 live and 10/20 online, LHE mostly but a decent amount of HORSE/Stud 8 also. Apocalypse september losing Party and immediately losing about 3500 which is pretty substantial when your roll is like 14k. Move down to 2/4-5/10 to rebuild confidence online, no time to play live because of school. Stars adds 2-7 I win like every day I play which isn't that many at 5/10-10/20 because everyone is awful and I probably ran well, I then have about 13k live after winter break and some 2/5 NL and about 12k online. After winter break start playing 40/80 live miraculously run good for once when I move up and win like 33k in 160 hours or so. Of course things don't work out quite as great as they sound because I also lost 6k at 75/150 failed shot and 10k HU 50/100 as well as a small 6k downswing online that took me from a sad 13k to 7k that I am barely recovering from since I don't play much online.

No clue how many dollars I actually have, somewhere in the 40-45k range, which is not a lot, but plenty for the games I play now which is 40/80 live, 5/10 LHE online and sometimes 30/60 Stud 8 when one specific fish is playing. I sort of want to start playing online again, so probably 10/20 online soon and a lot more 30 Stud 8. If it weren't for 2+2 I'm pretty sure I'd be broke and have no clue how to play. While it pisses me off that I feel like I fail miserably every time I take a shot and it results in me staying where I am for longer than I should, I'm pretty sure I ran REALLY well when I first started playing 3/6 online and I can't really complain about how well 40/80 has gone for me, so it's not too bad.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump

[/ QUOTE ]