Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is the Tactic of Fighting to Keep Tom Delay's Name on Texas Ballots Ethical?
No, it is not ethical. 17 60.71%
Yes, it is ethical. 6 21.43%
Neither 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Is this considered offensive?

[ QUOTE ]
That said, people get offended too easily and are too ready to throw the 'racist' term out there.

[/ QUOTE ]I think people who say this just want be able to say anything they please without any backlash.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Is this considered offensive? EDIT

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That said, people get offended too easily and are too ready to throw the 'racist' term out there.

[/ QUOTE ]I think people who say this just want be able to say anything they please without any backlash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could care less about backlash. If someone really wants to know a true meaning of anything I say that might be taken the wrong way, they could/should just ask before they fly off the handle. If they don't, what does that really say about those people? Lest them be judged themselves, god forbid.

I think people should think abit more before just kneejerk reacting and grow a thicker skin. Sometimes it is, GASP!, just a joke.

Edit: There's a big difference between letting someone know that what they say/said could be considered offensive/racist, or even that you were offended and actually calling the person a racist and that their intent was racism. Like DN, I don't know him. Sure, his skit could be seen as racist or whatever. It doesn't mean he is one or that was his intent.

b
Old 02-16-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but Daniel didn't really do anything wrong.... It was just a skit to have fun with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, releasing a blackface video in the middle of Black History Month is going to be interpreted as just a funny guy doing a funny skit, just like the frat boys throwing a BBQ on MLK day at U of Texas where the party goers were dressed in gang apparel, Aunt Jemimas etc... , carrying hand guns and eating fried chicken and drinking malt liquor were just showing tribute to a great man.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides that, it wasn't even a caricature of American blacks like in the Jim Crow days. It was a caricature of a Jamaican hipster pokah playa and Daniel made the guy out kinda cool in a way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this naivite or complete ignorance? Do you really believe that blackface should be taken in the context of where it is done and to whom it is refering to? Reducing blackface down to this neglects that it is not merely putting cork or shoepolish on ones face and dancing in a minstrel show, it is an attitude that has been reflected in art, knick knacks, literature, rhetoric etc... throughout many countries and continues to this day and is being justified in this instance because it's a Canadian of Romanian descent on American soil playing a Jamaican.

Additionally, these incidents tend to expose one's own subtle biases. One of my biases is that I believe there already is an inherent coolness and hipness to Jamaicans whether it be their music, mannerisms, colloquialisms, fashion etc... whereas here one can easily construe that in order for Jamaicans to be "made kinda cool in a way," it takes blackface to do it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually glad to see people starting to get sick of all the PC bullcrap that has taken over our culture in recent years. Why let the Speech-And-Thought-Nazis win this round by giving them an unmerited apology.

[/ QUOTE ]
Political correctness does at times create over sensitivity and disproportionate reactions to inocculous situations, but it is rarely if ever violent and it is not as capable of instilling facism upon a society as the sick of it crowd is. In the last 6 years spiteful, venemous and hateful rhetoric has increased, often stemming from the capitol by our lawmakers. Is it any wonder that hate groups and hate crimes have been increasing at an accelerated rate when leaders in this country place blame on immigrants, gays and lesbians, mexicans, arabs, the secular and it is amplified on a daily basis? These are the same lawmakers responsible for such life and liberty legislation as TIA, HLS, PA, so tell me again who is leading the charge into thought policing, those that ask kindly that you not say certain things or those that record everything you say?
Old 02-16-2007, 05:45 PM

The PC stuff has gotten way out of hand.
DN was having fun doing a skit-- BIG DEAL-----
there is a movie out with two black guys doing a white face thing as women. IS THIS WRONG------
DN, have fun, do your own thing and worry only about yesterday for tomorrow may never come.

Blessed be to those who have fun------
Old 02-16-2007, 05:51 PM

To a certain degree......your skit was offensive.......let me explain.....

What would a random black individual would think of your skit??? Offensive? Funny?.......

You unintentionally made a mockery of the black community.....think about it.....you did not look black...

Why do u compare your skit with Dan A. (Trading PLaces)?? Lets not forget that Eddie Murphy, funniest black man in the 80's played in the movie.....Eddie Murphy had Dan's back....who has your back?? (mom)......do u see the problem???? Next time you do this silly skit you need a supporting cast.....it really would help your cause....

Now to your defense........you are a well spoken, funny, silly individual........
Old 02-16-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember one time in a meeting I referred to the "guys and girls" on my team - and one of the young ladies (yes this is the correct term) - got up and screamed - "We are women - we menstruate" and stormed out. I had to apologize etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this woman attend UC Berkeley undergrad?
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 PM

Default What do you find offensive... the poll

I suspect that very few people are actually offended by this. It just happens that the ones that are offended are more likely to speak out. Let's find out!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to whether those same people that found my video blog to be offensive also find this clip offensive as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs08a4D0lgg

He is a real actor, is actually funny, and is doing the skit with a black man. Aside from that, is there anything different about the face paint he used and the face paint that I used? If you found my skit offensive, I'm assuming that you felt this Dan Akroyd bit was equally offensive?

If not, please explain why.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as one jokes without intent to hurt, I feel that joking about one's ethic background should be seen as a celebration of our differences.

For example, many Asians get offended when someone speaks English with an "asian" accent, whether it be Chinese, Vietnamese, or Indian. However, as an Asian person, I view this act in the same way I view myself (I am Asian born and raised in the US) when I speak with an English, German, French, or for that matter, Canadian accent. I don't think Canadians are offended when I say "Eh?" or "I've beeeeen working too hard" after ordering a Moosehead beer or drop into my Pepe Le Pew accent when talking about escargot.

Celebrate our differences, don't be afraid of them!

FropUhSeh
Old 02-16-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to whether those same people that found my video blog to be offensive also find this clip offensive as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs08a4D0lgg

He is a real actor, is actually funny, and is doing the skit with a black man. Aside from that, is there anything different about the face paint he used and the face paint that I used? If you found my skit offensive, I'm assuming that you felt this Dan Akroyd bit was equally offensive?

If not, please explain why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it ever occur to you that the reason you need the difference between your skit and this clip explained is the exact same reason you aren't funny? Anyone who is funny would just naturally know the difference.

I used to be a fan of yours Danny and post on your site. I realize now I was just naive and had stars in my eyes to not see before you aren't who you pretend you are on TV and on your forums. You can't help revealing yourself as a bitter person who is so full of himself it is sickening. How about more blogs about the thousands you spend on clothes? Or how you know poker and no one else does? It's so arrogant and the funny thing is I actually believe that you don't think so because you are so blind to your own ego. I can't believe I used to care about these things that you do. I finally grew up I guess.

It has nothing to do with racism. It has everything to do with you thinking you are automatically on the same plane of credibility as Dan Akroyd? Why? Because you won some poker tournaments? Because you attend comedy clubs? Just why? Anyone can dress in black shoepolish if they want, but they better be funny. Otherwise, they are just clueless.

I don't think you are racist and I don't hate you. I have lost a lot of respect for you, but that was much before your latest video. It is your aroogance and assuming in just about everything else too. You just need to realize you are a good poker player, not a good comedian, not a good scientist, not a good mathematician, not a good environmentalist, not a good priest, etc. Try to find some humility. You keep saying you shoot from the hip, but you really just shoot your own foot.

You may do well playing poker by instinct, but try thinking before acting in just about everything else you do. If you did, I would still be your fan.

Evy
Old 02-16-2007, 06:40 PM

Daniel,

I very much doubt that you are a racist, and am sure that the video you posted was intended as good natured humor. However, I think posting it was bad judgement on your part. You are a public figure and posting video's which some people will surely view as being in bad taste is not IMHO the smartest thing to do. The same thing goes for impressions I have heard you doing several times when you play with Ming. I get that you are probably friends with Ming and having fun with him, but it comes off like you are mocking him to people who do not know your history, and appears to be very insensitive to Asians. When I first saw the video, my first thought was "what was he thinking". Reminded me of when Fuzzy Zoeller made his "joke" about Tiger selecting collard greens and chicken for the meal at the masters. I am not trying to rip on you, and from what I know of you, you seem to be a decent guy, but I believe you would be best served if you refrained from humor that is sure to be seen as insensitive in public. Just my 2 cents.