Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: O/U on Number of current/ future felons playing in this game.
over 13 14 66.67%
13 or Under 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Restaurant refuses to sing happy bday to 6 yr old

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of douchey, but I'm glad that more restaurants are beginning to take this approach. Nothing kills the conversation in a restaurant faster than 15 waiters singing happy birthday to someone.

Take the little [censored] to Chuck E Cheese if you want somewhere that will shut down to sing him happy birthday.

Also

[ QUOTE ]

This is where a cool dad clears a little space, stand up on the table and says:

"Hey Everybody, it's little Billy's birthday today!!!! He's 6 years old and we're all gonna sing him Happy Birthday together!!!!"

All while stomping a nice beat out on the table top.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously the solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed and agreed again. Two excellent posts, right on the money.

It's unfair to expect others to fulfill your voluntary obligations to someone else for you. Especially in a business setting, not a personal one. Their life is not yours. And their business is not yours, either.

I wonder if the dad would have tried this in a restaurant he didn't think was downscale enough.

I still sympathize with the dad, but people have to realize the world is not all about their little precious dumplings. Most people don't give a sh*t and shouldn't feel pressured to. It's just not their "business."

I think I'd be much much MORE likely to go to a place where the owners or managers refused to knuckle under to guests and let them run the show for the benefit of their kids. There are tons of places that do that, and they're readily available. There's no reason to expect every place to do that.

What the dad should have done is not be so dopey as to let the kid pick the restaurant, if the singing was so important. That dad was pretty damn dumb. He's obviously in over his head, when it comes to picking restaurants and handling his kid. He is the guy who set his kid up for being bummed out, not the restaurant.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is how I was guessing this post was going to end:
[ QUOTE ]
If I were the owner I would have said "Oh my hostess told you we sing happy birthday here?"

Dad: Yes
Me: One moment please
*Brings hostess over*
Me: Did you tell this man that we would sing his child happy birthday?
Host: Yes
Me: Start singing

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to realize that just becaue you have a a couple bucks to spend in a restaurant doesn't make you king of the world.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is where a cool dad clears a little space, stand up on the table and says:

"Hey Everybody, it's little Billy's birthday today!!!! He's 6 years old and we're all gonna sing him Happy Birthday together!!!!"

All while stomping a nice beat out on the table top.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Once they realized the waiter wasn't going to sing to the kid, why couldn't the family sing to the kid themselves?

Even if the dad managed to get his way after arguing with the manager, I'm pretty sure the singing from the staff wouldn't have been all that enthusiastic.

It's a real douche move on the restaurant's part, though. The manager obviously didn't get the word out to the staff that "Happy birthdays" are no longer to be sung. The manager handled this atrociously. They obviously lost themselves some customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Business decision. They didn't lose the kind of customers they want anyway.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:23 PM

rar i hate kids and the birthday song rar rarrr
Old 07-07-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that the hostess is qualified to enter into an agreement on behalf of the establishment.

If I were the owner I would have said "Oh my hostess told you we sing happy birthday here?"

Dad: Yes
Me: One moment please
*Brings hostess over*
Me: Did you tell this man that we would sing his child happy birthday?
Host: Yes
Me: You're fired. We'll mail you your check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously what are you trying to do here? Just ruin everyones day. Your solution doesn't solve anyones problem and it just creates more. It does the following:
The little kid still doesn't get the song sung to him
A person just got fired
Now the parents will feel guilty over this.

Good job. Mr. Boss
Old 07-07-2007, 06:24 PM

Blarg,

LOL at your last paragraph. Seriously wtf from anyone else Id think that was an awesome level.

The kid picked what kind of food he wanted, the parents picked the restaurant. They then confirmed with the hostess that the kid would get what he wanted.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:28 PM

If I ever open a restaurant, I think that because of this thread, any kid that comes in and wants to have his birthday sung to him is going to be in for a treat. Im thinking, have the waiter come out with a baby seal, club it to death on the table, and then scream "EVERYTIME YOU HAVE A BIRTHDAY A BABY SEAL DIES".

now that I think about it, that may be against health regulations..so maybe just a liberal policy about the use of air horns and sneak attacks.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you need to realize that just becaue you have a a couple bucks to spend in a restaurant doesn't make you king of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's unfair to expect others to fulfill your voluntary obligations to someone else for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
The guy didn't expect them to do anything. That is why he specifically confirmed that they were willing to do it ahead of time.

Once they have agreed to do something then, yes, it is reasonable to expect that they will either fulfill that agreement or at the very least the owner will be nice about it and apologize for her restaurant making a mistake.

I can't fathom how anyone thinks it reasonable for the restaurant to not only not do what they agreed, but then afterwards to act like a dick to the guy when he nicely (at least according to OP) asks what happened. I also don't think it is relevant to that whether singing is a good or bad policy or whether the kid is a brat.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I ever open a restaurant, I think that because of this thread, any kid that comes in and wants to have his birthday sung to him is going to be in for a treat. Im thinking, have the waiter come out with a baby seal, club it to death on the table, and then scream "EVERYTIME YOU HAVE A BIRTHDAY A BABY SEAL DIES".

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO