Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 PM

Default Re: A couple of questions about Christianity that cause me some diffic

[ QUOTE ]
We have looked. That is why we became atheists.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think in the vast majority of cases this is not true.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't believe the more believable story of Caesar, you'd certainly have to laugh at the idea of taking the Bible seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are in effect saying that either he did a good job of debunking the resurrection, and therefore the resurrection should be disbelieved, or that he did a bad job of debunking it by using a dubious comparison, which should in turn increase your scepticism about the resurrection. C'mon: are you analyzing critically or interpreting the Rorschach?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:47 PM

Kurto, this is circumstantial! It has little (if anything) to do with the resurrection itself, and Carrier only included it as introductory material. Surely even you must realize that this is not the "strength of his arguments".
Old 03-06-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Many of the theists who suggest this fail to realize that many of us were believers who... and the more we looked the more we realized the Bible did not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming I'm a theist. IMO the Bible doesn't have to come from God in order for me to apply some of it's teachings to my life. I actually do this for a lot of religious faiths.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:49 PM

And, txag you didn't answer my questions about the validity of different interpretations.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think in the vast majority of cases this is not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I admittedly haven't had the means or opportunity to quiz most atheists. But there have been numerous atheists on this forum who have shared similar experiences.

Most atheists whom I've met (granted my experience is limited) were all raised in religious households. I actually personally know ONE atheist who was raised in an atheist household.

Perhaps you can elaborate on exactly what you think is untrue and why you think that is the case.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you are suggesting internal consistency as an indicator of existence, are you actively accepting internal inconsitency as evidence that something is unlikley to exist?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes to everything after the second comma. No to everything before it.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kurto, this is circumstantial! It has little (if anything) to do with the resurrection itself, and Carrier only included it as introductory material. Surely even you must realize that this is not the "strength of his arguments".

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary. Showing that it is typical of people of the period to be uneducated, superstitious and unskeptical is completely relevent in examining the texts of a story that makes claims that sound like the ramblings of uneducated, superstitious and unskeptical people.

Humor me.... explain to me why you should give any credence to the stories of people who believed that sickness was as likely to be demonic possession as opposed to simple virus. People who believed in magic and witchcraft as opposed to simpler explanations.

There is NO credibility to the people who tell the story.

I could go point by point of his entire essay and ask you to address each one but I've never seen you ever adequately even explain the above...
Old 03-06-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Many of the theists who suggest this fail to realize that many of us were believers who... and the more we looked the more we realized the Bible did not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming I'm a theist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I didn't assume you were a theist. I was referring to Txag, not you, when I suggested that theists failed to realize that we have looked at the Bible.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO the Bible doesn't have to come from God in order for me to apply some of it's teachings to my life. I actually do this for a lot of religious faiths.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many non-theists find things of value in the Bible. I am merely pointing out that reading the Bible does not mean we'll find the same truths that the Christians constantly suggest. Reading the Bible does not lead all to the conclusion that its true... that there is a God, etc. As the Bible Reading Club on this forum showed... many read it and were more put off then they were before studying it.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think many non-theists find things of value in the Bible. I am merely pointing out that reading the Bible does not mean we'll find the same truths that the Christians constantly suggest. Reading the Bible does not lead all to the conclusion that its true... that there is a God, etc. As the Bible Reading Club on this forum showed... many read it and were more put off then they were before studying it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think it is kind of silly to be put off by the Bible though. I can see why you would think it's terrible that people believe it is the infallible word of God though.