Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Torre is back

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees' farm system is pretty much a bare cupboard now (thanks to Cashman, not Torre), so no one's going to trade the Yankees anything actually worth having.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop posting in the thread, because you don't know what you are talking about. LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do tell us, then, just whom in the Yankees farm system is actually ready to step up and contribute, because it's pretty evidence that aside from Wang, none of their callups can get major league hitters out on a regular basis. (And Joba, if they let him be a starter, of course.)

Who down there is actually going to bring you anything of value in return? Robinson Cano (who is quite a good player) and Soriano are about the only everyday player sworth anything the Yankees have developed in the last 10 years, and Soriano's gone.

Damon's done, I think Abreu is a FA (correct me if I'm wrong), their every day lineup is starting to age...who's the next Jeter? the next Posada?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... Melky is a MLB avg CFer. Cano is a superstar for his age/position. He's excellent and barring injury/flipping out will likely end up in the HOF one day.

And then you name top ten SS and a HOF catcher expecting the yankees to churn out HOF type players every third day... WTF?

The Yankees farm system is one of the best in baseball. Their young pitching is behind the D'rays (who isn't?), but is v v good. I don't know where you gathered information, but its bad.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:14 PM

so im watchin this coverage ... i heard the Cubs will be after Rivera!?!?!?!? so will the rest of the league but the Cubs have the money, I wonder if this means the Cubs are the favorites to land Arod too, as long as we take care of the ownership thing quickly.
I really think the Yankees only options at manager should be Larussa or Girardi, i really dont think Mattingly is fit to be the manager
Old 10-18-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And whom do you project that to be, besides Joba?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kennedy and Hughes have also proven themselves to be major league ready.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's no accident that the Indians, Rockies, Tigers, etc., are a lot closer to a World Series these days than the Yankees, and it's no secret why.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Tigers were closer to a WS than NYY were?

"Better off spending money restocking farm system"????

You might be right and then they can draft some free agents on the market.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chase Wright and Matt DeSalvo, LDO
Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm... Melky is a MLB avg CFer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Melky is a pretty decent player. But he's not going to lead your team to the promised land.

[ QUOTE ]
Cano is a superstar for his age/position. He's excellent and barring injury/flipping out will likely end up in the HOF one day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, nope. Cano is a very good player, and should be a several time All-Star, but not already in the same class as a Ryno, Morgan, etc. He can get there, but I wouldn't assume HOF yet. Still, yes, he's a key player, but he's already a 3-year MLB...well out of the farm system.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And then you name top ten SS and a HOF catcher expecting the yankees to churn out HOF type players every third day... WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't expect the Yankees to develop a HOF player every third day. I do, however, expect a franchise trying to get to the level of winning a WS to be able to develop more than one everyday player (not even HOF-level, just better than average) every three years.

Since 1995, the Yanks have developed Jeter, Posada, Soriano, and Cano. That's it. Two are now in their mid 30s, one is gone, and that leaves Cano. As you say, Melky is average. Nothing wrong with average, but average doesn't make your farm system "one of the best in baseball".

[ QUOTE ]
Their young pitching is behind the D'rays (who isn't?), but is v v good. I don't know where you gathered information, but its bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's easy -- look at who the Yankees brought up from the minors to start games this year. Aside from Ian Kennedy and Phillip Hughes, the rest appear to be middling, at best. I have no idea who the Yankees have in low-A ball, but they're not going to be able to help in the next 2-3 years. Even Hughes sometimes seems overmatched, though he'll probably be fine.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:28 PM

To respond to the previous posts, good for Torre for leaving. Torre was just being pushed around and threatened by the Yankees for too long. Then, they take a manager with continued success in terms of reaching the playoffs and give him a $2 million pay cut.

I'm pretty sure that the Yankees made his offer knowing that Torre would probably reject it. I cannot imagine that they actually thought Torre would take a $2 million pay cut.

Now, what happens to their free agents? Who goes? Who stays?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kennedy and Hughes have also proven themselves to be major league ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they seem ready to pitch in the majors, but they're not yet ready to lead the Yankees to the playoffs. Hughes looked overmatched at times. I'm not saying they're not ready to play, but they're definitely not going to lead the Yankees to the World Series yet, no matter who's managing.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how about the same torre that for all of these years was actually a much worse manager than even people who thought he sucked realized.
He had the get out of jail free card in the 8th and 9th inning with Rivera. Rivera almost never blew a playoff game and even if he did you cant blame someone for brining rivera in the game so he really only had to manage for 7 innngs.
However in 2004 and this past series against Clevland he cant even use Rivera right any more.
Lets see Chmaberlain cant even throw a strike with the tying run on base and you have Mariano [censored] Rivera in your bullpen NOT EVEN WARMING UP. Not when he had throw 14 balls and 3 strikes, not on the first wild pitch, no on the second wild pitch that ties the game, not when he hits and walks the next 2 batters. Finally the bullpen phone rings and I sarcastically and jokingly say to my friend that its probably for Vizcaino. Sure as [censored] it actually was.

Dont even get me started on how he butchered game 5 against Boston in 04.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chase Wright and Matt DeSalvo, LDO

[/ QUOTE ]

Chase Wright is already 25 and couldn't get major league hitters out in his breif callup this year. He may have a major league career, but he's hardly a stud.

Matt Desalvo is already 27, and is a worse pitcher than Chase Wright. He's an organizational player, at best.

I hope those aren't the guys you're looking to lead your staff in the coming years.