Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Led Zeppelin Is Just a Great \"COVER\" Band

Zeppelin from what I understand did not have radio 'hits'. They were an album band and most of the songs that people consider hits were probably ripped off but are hardly their best work.

If you think 'Whole Lotta Love' or 'Dazed and Confused' represent the pinnacle of Led Zeppelin's music then you really need to listen to their later stuff. As has been mentioned before, their later music was groundbreaking and definitely their own.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zeppelin from what I understand did not have radio 'hits'. They were an album band and most of the songs that people consider hits were probably ripped off but are hardly their best work.

If you think 'Whole Lotta Love' or 'Dazed and Confused' represent the pinnacle of Led Zeppelin's music then you really need to listen to their later stuff. As has been mentioned before, their later music was groundbreaking and definitely their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft.
op is retarded.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh, so it's ok to talk about torrents on OOT now?

i think not

[/ QUOTE ]
oopsies. I should have pm'ed or link'd vehn obviously.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wow, you guys are a bunch of retarded [censored] nits.

just live with the fact that led zeppelin is the biggest rock band of all time and most influential.

arguments on both sides about stealing blues songs blah blah blah have already been stated in this thread so no use rehashing them.

but the biggest point is in their entire body of work, led zeppelin is mainly original and groundbreaking. did they blatantly steal a bunch of songs? I don't know for sure, I can't say, but are they more influential than about almost everyone else? yes.

just stop trying to feel better about yourself by calling out led zeppelin, tools. are all of you related to robert johnson and need some money or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Led Zeppelin is the biggest rock band of all time? I guess you don't define The Beatles or The Rolling Stones as rock since it was popular music... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Whatever.

Apparently though you haven't listened to the link in the OP, because if you had you'd realize that not only did they rip other artists off, a lot of their biggest songs, including Stairway to Heaven, were completely stolen, bar for bar, without giving any credit. Just listen to the song they stole Stairway from and then come in here and talk about Led Zeppelin without being ashamed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Woah man, we don't need anymore exaggeration from either side here. The intro acoustic part is definitely ripped from the taurus song, but it's not note for note. It's basically the same though.

Also, if it WERE ripped bar for bar, how come the other song wasn't a ginormous hit? Because it simply wasn't close to as good as Stairway.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:58 PM

Jesus, Zeppelin is the soundtrack to my formative years.

But even so, I never once, not even when I was 13 years old, thought that their stuff was wholly original. It was obvious to anyone paying any attention whatsoever that at the very least, they were a sort of blues tribute band.

But none of this mattered much to me because the stuff was gigantic. I understood (and understand) the link to the scratchy, trebly delta blues stuff, but didn't care much because of the mammoth Zeppelinishness. It annihilated all such concerns.

And, most importantly, this is the band that made Physical Graffiti, one of the most beautiful rock albums ever made, and there is very little to trifle with there--it's all Page, Plant, Jone, and Bonham. It's incredible.

Think about it--Page was a genius. He wore a wizard's outfit and was stoned and blotto drunk and weighed 104 pounds and was a fetishist and is arguably the poster child for rock excess, but when you listen to the live version of Dazed from The Song Remains The Same, and you hear the 15+ minutes of lead on it, you'll know none of this crap matters much.

And this was BEFORE the creation of Phyzz Graff.

Come on, guys--it's Led Zeppelin.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:35 AM

I'm amused by the "Floyd is better than Zeppelin" posts here. Must be a younger generation phenomenon.

Floyd and Zep were bookends of the same buzz. They went together like hunt 'n fish.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm amused by the "Floyd is better than Zeppelin" posts here. Must be a younger generation phenomenon.

Floyd and Zep were bookends of the same buzz. They went together like hunt 'n fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and yet totally different animals. Floyd brought the psycadelia into mainstream rock while Zepplin brought that extra heavy blues sound and I don't care who refutes this, but almost every metal band tributes to Zep. If not, the band that they were influenced by was influenced by Zep. The same just can't be said for Floyd.

BTW I love both of these bands, but this just needed to be pointed out.