Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: It cost someone close to 200k...

ive probably said this about 50 times this thread but once again

Duke is gay
Old 05-16-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
strassa,

Congratulations, man.

everyone else,

Yeah, "Duke" is really easy to graduate from. Guess what, morons - if you substitute any college in the [censored] United States for "Duke" the statement remains accurate. Shut up and let the man brag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Whoever said grad school was when they really start working you was right, anyone can get through undergrad in the US these days.

Its still a huge brag to graduate though, especially when you have a great job already set up, which Strassa does.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:28 PM

What's really funny about this thread is how indignant everybody ripping into paperjam is when he's clearly right (except for saying getting into Duke is mostly about where you're from: obviously an advantaged background helps but it's not a free ticket in and if Jason were stupid he wouldn't have gotten into Duke).

Graduating from a university is easy. I didn't do much work at all and graduated from Yale. So yeah, it's not impressive that Jason graduated, but it's still a huge moment in his life and there's nothing wrong with congratulating him just out of appreciation for how happy a time graduation is.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:41 PM

tar HEEELS, tar HEEEEELs
Old 05-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Congrats J!
Reminds me of a story about two close frinds of mine that went to Duke, many years ago.

The Duke college friend (boy) and his girlfriend went out the night before their major exams. Both of them were totally pissed when they got back home. The next day they were so hungover they missed most of their class. When they finally showed up, there was only 15 min. left in class before papers had to be turned in. They told the professer that their car's tire popped and they couldn't flag down a ride. The professer "uh huhed" with sympathy and told them they could take the exam the next day. The next day they came in and were sent into different rooms. The cover of the test said, "this will determine all I need to know". They opened the test and saw there was only one question. "Which tire was it?"
[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2007, 04:50 PM

Congrats dude.

You guys should get off the education criticism tip. Graduating isn't in itself especially difficult, but how many things have you earned with more "expected value" than your degree?

I went community college to state school magna to elite law school - none of it has been "hard," but it all remains a significant accomplishment.

It's a big deal, whether it's Duke or San Diego Community College.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's really funny about this thread is how indignant everybody ripping into paperjam is when he's clearly right (except for saying getting into Duke is mostly about where you're from: obviously an advantaged background helps but it's not a free ticket in and if Jason were stupid he wouldn't have gotten into Duke).

Graduating from a university is easy. I didn't do much work at all and graduated from Yale. So yeah, it's not impressive that Jason graduated, but it's still a huge moment in his life and there's nothing wrong with congratulating him just out of appreciation for how happy a time graduation is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree. As for myself, I can tell you that I put in a fair amount of hours into my engineering stuff but for the most part I just got done what I had to get done. I did my work as fast as I could, and just tried to get by on tests and stuff. This involved a lot of hours, but not nearly as many hours as other peopled invested.

Yes, for 90% or more of kids (the ones not graduating with insanely high GPAs or awards for research/community service/etc), any HS or college graduation is just the classic case of everyone celebrating mediocrity. That being said, I'm just really happy to be done with school and move onto another phase of my life, especially given the fact I was really not into my studies that much and I'm excited to move onto a different intellectual challenge which wall street will give me (along with giving me a good amount of bitch work and rough hours). I'm also excited to move to NY with my buddies, and to meet new people. That is worth celebrating.

The other thing is that although graduating Duke isnt that hard--for me to get the job I did, it was a very necessary credential. If I had graduated from a lesser name it would've been harder for me to get in the door and to get the job I did. I also met ML4L at duke and he pointed me to 2p2 and got me started in poker, and that was worth a lot.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:31 PM

Congrats, Jason. The real impressive feat was getting the MS job, but graduation's plenty to be proud of too.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 PM

f the haters, congrats!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Graduating from a university is easy. I didn't do much work at all

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the first part, but as for the not doing much work at all part, it really depends on your field. most people I know (myself included) who did engineering spent a lot of time in the lab. I would classify my undergrad education as a lot of not very hard work. most ppl I know in the engineering and hard sciences had similar experiences, at various schools.