Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: why hockey is dumb

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Also, no matter how retarded the NHL OT system is... it's FAR superior compared to the NFL's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the NFL's overtime is much better. The only sport with a worse overtime than NHL is college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? An overtime that doesn't guarantee an equal chance for offensive possession is better than one that does? Yeah, college football is dumb because it's a shootout style that barely resembles football and yes, the NHL shootout part of overtime is sorta dumb, but it beats hours of OT's or ties. The 5 minute 4-on-4 part of the NHL OT is actually pretty nice and not a huge departure from how the game is played in regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were no shootout, then I would think the NHL had a better overtime. I agree that football overtime could be better, but the way that the NFL does it now is at least football. I don't feel bad for teams that never get the ball because defence is a part of football.

BTW, what's wrong with ties?

[/ QUOTE ]

College FB overtime rocks. It's a helluva lot more exciting than NFL overtime(which is a big fat yawn). I just wish they'd start about 10-15 yards farther back.

NFL is about the only overtime I can think of where both teams don't have an equal opportunity after the coin flip.

b
Old 10-20-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Also, no matter how retarded the NHL OT system is... it's FAR superior compared to the NFL's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the NFL's overtime is much better. The only sport with a worse overtime than NHL is college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? An overtime that doesn't guarantee an equal chance for offensive possession is better than one that does? Yeah, college football is dumb because it's a shootout style that barely resembles football and yes, the NHL shootout part of overtime is sorta dumb, but it beats hours of OT's or ties. The 5 minute 4-on-4 part of the NHL OT is actually pretty nice and not a huge departure from how the game is played in regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were no shootout, then I would think the NHL had a better overtime. I agree that football overtime could be better, but the way that the NFL does it now is at least football. I don't feel bad for teams that never get the ball because defence is a part of football.

[/ QUOTE ]

College FB overtime rocks. It's a helluva lot more exciting than NFL overtime(which is a big fat yawn). I just wish they'd start about 10-15 yards farther back.

NFL is about the only overtime I can think of where both teams don't have an equal opportunity after the coin flip.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Bernie. I can't believe someone is saying NFL OT is better than College OT. I guess NFL is better if you like watching a cointoss..
Old 10-20-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Bernie. I can't believe someone is saying NFL OT is better than College OT. I guess NFL is better if you like watching a cointoss..

[/ QUOTE ]

First, defence is a part of football, so if you let the other team score on the first possesion, I have no sympathy for you.

Second, college overtime is not football. Football is largely about field position, and this is not a part of the college overtime (And wouldn't be no matter how far back they start).

I think that there are several options which are better than the NFL overtime, but the college system is not one of them.

(And the NFL overtime is usually more exciting than the regulation game IMO).
Old 10-20-2007, 02:39 AM

bluef0x,

I brought up a couple of those points because this thread has mutated in terms of staying on the OP's topic. Also, about the visors and the contracts, I was just making predictions. I'm definitely for visors, as that should just be common sense regardless of what some players may think.

Triumph,

About the scheduling, part of my point was that teams in the same country don't play each other, which doesn't make much sense. Couldn't one of those eight interdivisional games against each team be put towards playing 4 teams from the other conference, if only for the sake of the fans getting to watch a team they wouldn't normally see.

Regarding the guaranteed contracts, what makes you think the NHL wouldn't follow the NFL's example? Pre-lockout it wouldn't have been as big an issue, but I can't see GMs let alone owners not pushing this issue when the next CBA opens up.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First, defence is a part of football, so if you let the other team score on the first possesion, I have no sympathy for you.

Second, college overtime is not football. Football is largely about field position, and this is not a part of the college overtime (And wouldn't be no matter how far back they start).

I think that there are several options which are better than the NFL overtime, but the college system is not one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right defence is part of football, but let me throw a wrench in your argument: When was the last time a NFL team won the OT toss and decided to "defend" first?

The current NFL system would be as silly as having a shootout in hockey where if the team that goes first scores, the other team loses - they don't get a chance to shoot. game over. Or in baseball, if the visitor scores in the top of 12th inning, it's game over....

OT has to be about equal opportunity to score, not just defend against a score.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:50 AM

regarding NFL OT, why don't they just play the full OT, or have a team have to have a lead by 4 points to win.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your right defence is part of football, but let me throw a wrench in your argument: When was the last time a NFL team won the OT toss and decided to "defend" first?

[/ QUOTE ]

When was the last time a college team won the toss and decided to go on offense first? The college team that wins the coin toss and goes on defense first has won ~55% of the time, compared to ~60% in the NFL since the advent of the 30 yard line kickoff. If kickoffs were moved up to 35 in overtime, the NFL system would actually have less decided on the flip of the coin than in college. I think that's the best idea, barring a drastic auction for the worst field position that will never in a million years happen.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The current NFL system would be as silly as having a shootout in hockey where if the team that goes first scores, the other team loses - they don't get a chance to shoot. game over. Or in baseball, if the visitor scores in the top of 12th inning, it's game over....

OT has to be about equal opportunity to score, not just defend against a score.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, there are better ways to do overtime, I just don't think that the college system is one of them. I guess I would rather have the teams play a somewhat unfair version of football than a totally different game (no matter how fair).

BTW, I know of at least two instances in which the team that won the toss in overtime chose sides (but that doesn't make your point invalid).
Old 10-20-2007, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When was the last time a college team won the toss and decided to go on offense first? The college team that wins the coin toss and goes on defense first has won ~55% of the time, compared to ~60% in the NFL since the advent of the 30 yard line kickoff. If kickoffs were moved up to 35 in overtime, the NFL system would actually have less decided on the flip of the coin than in college. I think that's the best idea, barring a drastic auction for the worst field position that will never in a million years happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this would be the best overtime system possible. (but you're right, it will never happen)
Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 AM

I just remembered the real reason that hockey is dumb. The home team gets to match up before every faceoff, and the visiting team has to set their stick first. Over the course of a game, I would think that this would be quite an advantage to the home team. (People who know more about hockey might want to weigh in on this.)

I think the should decide those things by which end of the ice the faceoff is on.