Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: 4_2_it in the Well

[ QUOTE ]

About this time, I started playing online at Pokerstars. I lost my $100 playing $0.50/$1 Limit. Then my second $100 as well.

My third $100 was down to $15 when I decided to play switch to NL. I worked my way through the micros playing basically a set mining strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminded me of scene from Quest for the Holy Grail

"Listen, lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get, lad: the strongest castle in these islands."

Favorite Monty Python Movies 4_2_it?
Old 08-14-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In no particular order:

Jam
dustbustr (not sure if he counts anymore)
AJ, isura and Grunch as mods and posters are excellent
orange
epdaws
mousuavea
dbitel
fallen hero
MT2R lagtard that he is

[/ QUOTE ]

no pokey [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The orthodoxy here is that TAG play is best, and that a win rate of ~8PTBB/100 is achievable. Moreover, a simpler strategy allows you to play more tables and hence multiply your winrate.

1) If you were limited to playing 1 table, do you think that a looser style of play could improve your winrate, or is a lot of the laggier stuff really EV neutral?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure if the table was full of TAGs or bad players.

However, being able to shift between styles and identifying the right time to employ each style would result in the largest possible winrate increase.

[ QUOTE ]
2) A lot of what passes for TAG play in SSNL has the 'T' down but is missing the 'AG'. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and am guilty at times. Not 3-betting in position, not making value bets raises. Not aggressively playing draws. Slow playing monsters. You get the drift....

[ QUOTE ]
3) The guy who claimed a 100BB/100 hands winrate was doable - what do you think ever happened to him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakdaddy. Who knows? I am sure he is still lurking around somewhere. Maybe even under a new screen name?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In no particular order:

Jam
dustbustr (not sure if he counts anymore)
AJ, isura and Grunch as mods and posters are excellent
orange
epdaws
mousuavea
dbitel
fallen hero
MT2R lagtard that he is

[/ QUOTE ]

no pokey [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he pissed him off on the shuffle board in Vegas. Possibly he stole his pink bingo dabber and good luck troll.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Give me the cliffs notes from the worst monkey tilt chip spewing spree of you're life.

[/ QUOTE ]

A while ago, I dropped 5-6 buy-ins at NL $50 to an uber LAG who kept hitting straights and flushes against my sets and two pairs. I tried to target him and just keep handing my money over........

I do not tilt easy, mainly because I play for fun, so when it's not fun I stop so I don't usually hit a run where bluff all-in with crap or push AQ pre-flop against a 70/20 LAGtard who woke with AA.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st poker book I read was the Lee Jones one. While it helped win, I learned many weak tight habits. Also, trying to apply it to NL wasn't too smart either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're not alone. I sense LJ's influence in a lot of SSNL posts.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) What should I do to get better at poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read this and then let's play HU for bankrolls [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Just study and post here is the best advice I can offer.

[ QUOTE ]
2) I have a kid due in 2 weeks (first one). Any chance I'll be able to get in a few hours of poker per day when the little one comes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations. New borns usually sleep a lot for the first couple of weeks.

You will have time, but really, spend it with your wife and child. Poker will always be there.

My kids were not allowed to stay up past 9PM on school until they were 8. You will have plenty of time to play.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From one late 30s guy to another, also with 2 girls [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] how old are they, what are their names, and what does your immediate family think about you gambling online? Are you more snappy after a session where the fish took all your money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Adding to the above, do you ever feel pressure to raid the BR for family concerns, and if so do you?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is your biggest rollercoaster day? For example, yesterday I played 3500 hands - started the day up 2 buy ins right away...then I went on a horrid streak and dropped 7.5 buy ins to be down 5.5 buy ins total. Finally I went on an insane run after a dinner break to go up 9.5 buy ins in about 3 hours of 8 tabling to finish the day up 4 buy ins...and 3 heart attacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. The only one I can think of is going down 4 buy-ins and fighting my way back to being up 3. It was painful and many profanities were shouted at the screen along with a few Ship it hollas.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Read this and then let's play HU for bankrolls

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!! You forgot this one too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1580420...3823852?ie=UTF8