Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Full Ring 101 Questions - N00Bs ask here

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question. What are some of the advantages/disadvatanges of FR vs 6-handed?

[/ QUOTE ]

check the FAQ for the thread on why ppl play FR > 6max

also

FR:
lowwer variance
with that comes less emotional volatility
can 8+ table with fewwer issues
less rly hard decisions so u can sesh longer
can autopilot

6max:
higher variance
allows a better player to get a higher winrate
allows a better player to pick apart opponents weakness (more hands with that player = more chances to take $)
rewards the better players faster and longer
Old 10-26-2007, 01:58 PM

Adv. of 6max:
1) More hands/hr
2) Because of the nature of the game, more likely to find bigstack fish you can exploit.
3) People in a poorer state of mind (drunk/tilted) are more likely to be playing here and spewing.
4) All-ins are easier to come by.
5) Many more marginal situations to put people in.

Advantages to FR:
1) Easier to play more tables
2) Standards of play are "more" standard; set miners set mine, nits play aces, 30/8 guys play draws.
3) At low levels you can actually set mine and get paid nearly every time.
4) Raise 10-15% of your hands preflop, bet/fold flop, profit. Note who raises you but many will not.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:05 PM

I made a regular post but deleted it, deciding it would be more suiting to post it here.

QUESTION: Should I move on up to 25NL? My bankroll is over $500.00 now. Hopefully close to 550.00 by the end of the month. I know I am rolled for it but.....

I beat NL5 for 38 bb/100 and NL10 for 12bb/100 over the course of nearing 20,000 hands between the two for the last two months. So for every 100 hands at 5NL I make $1.52, at NL10 I make $1.20...Obviously Nl5 seems to bring in more money for my bankroll. I realize its not a large sample, but my previous non recorded hands were about the same if not more... I think 20000 is enough to make some assumptions anyway.

Fact: For me too keep up at 25NL(which I imagine is harder then NL5 and NL10) I would need to make at least 5bb/100 hands to make it even worthwhile.

So for anyone who has made that jump(recently, not like a year or two ago) have you shown more profit over the first two levels? Can you sustain a 10bb/100h winrate there easily? The jackpot tables seem fishier then the regular tables, is it worth it to play there for the fish?(with the disadvantage of the prize pool rake)
Old 10-26-2007, 02:13 PM

Move up, take lumps (the play is a bit better). You need to get better at some point and babying yourself won't do that. You have the roll, gogogogo.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:27 PM

I still cant figure out how to get the image of the graph from photobucket (or imageshack), onto a thread here. HOW IS IT DONE???
Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Move up, take lumps (the play is a bit better). You need to get better at some point and babying yourself won't do that. You have the roll, gogogogo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this if your goals for your poker playing involve making much larger wins. You could feasibly play nl10 for the rest of your life and if you're happy with the relatively meager winnings possible there, fine. You'd be able to buy a nice video game system for yourself.

However, if you choose to get better at the game -- and you must move up to do so -- the wins there look like possibly a nice CAR for yourself.

my .02
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 PM

I have a question about variance.

I am running at 8 ptbb/100 at 5NL over 60k hands. The other day I made about $50, only to lose it all and then some the next day. My ptbb/100 has dropped to about 6 in one day. I have changed nothing in my game, and am wondering if variance can be this severe? Can you lose half of your roll in a few days due to "variance?"

It seems nothing I do holds up. I have hit a set several times, only to lose to a higher set. This happened 3 or 4 times in one day. I push pre-flop with queens (against a short stack) he has 10's, he rivers a 10. I hit TPTK, only to have a guy with a 5-7 hit two pair. I can't count the times someone has hit a set on me. I RARELY hit sets. It seems as if villains are hitting monster hands a disproportionate percentage of the time against me. Statistically you will only hit a set about 10% of the time. It has happened FAR more than this against me in the last couple of days. It's not just sets, villains are also making miracle flushes (board makes 4 of same suit), miracle straights etc.. I mean I realize bad beats happen, but this is crazy.

I guess my question is: were my 60k hands at 8 ptbb/100 a fluke? If not, then how do you guys work through such bad runs like I am having?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:15 PM

Unfortunately, it comes with a territory. Review your hands, post them to 2p2, plug the leaks, rince, repeat. Poker is like that.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still cant figure out how to get the image of the graph from photobucket (or imageshack), onto a thread here. HOW IS IT DONE???

[/ QUOTE ]

just copy the line in photobucket that says IMG Code and paste it in your post.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess my question is: were my 60k hands at 8 ptbb/100 a fluke? If not, then how do you guys work through such bad runs like I am having?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make me post my graph! Do not make me do it!

Most players who have played a substantial number of hands (half million+) have seen lengthy (20-50K hand) downswings or break-even stretches. That's just the way it is. People deal with it or they quit poker. Sometimes it's just variance, sometimes it's bad play. Sometimes it's both. Part of the process is figuring that out. If it's just variance, ride it out. Yes, it is possible to run bad for a very long time. If you can use it as inspiration to improve your play, then do so. If you're playing like crap, then work on it.

[censored] happens. But it's the same for anyone. If you're a doctor, a patient dies and you're sued for malpractice, what do you do? You're an architect, the contractor uses substandard concrete and the building falls down, what do you do? You're an athlete and you tear your ACL, what do you do?