View Poll Results: prop bet
$20 4 15.38%
$5 0 0%
$10 1 3.85%
$15 0 0%
>$20 21 80.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Could the average NFL fan make it to 20 carries in a game??

[ QUOTE ]
This is hilarious. The average NFL fan couldn't make 20 carries in a high school game, let along an NFL game.

I coach a middle school aged pop warner team and know a couple of 120 lb 12 year olds that will put some adults on the sidelines after 20 hits. Anyone (other than an NFL or current college RB) that thinks they can handle 20 plays in the NFL has absolutely no clue.

To the guy that played 'sprint football':

- the 300 lb lineman will generally not be making tackles. It's their job to keep the OL occupied so the 250 lb linebacker with 4.6 speed can dislocate your neck. And he will.

- you don't 'keep your shoulder low' when you carry the football (at least not if you want to have that shoulder attached to your torso for very long). Anyone that has played any form of organized tackle football knows that. Shoulder pads protect the top and front of the shoulders, but don't protect from the side. If you want to throw a 'football' term around and impress your friends, then say you should 'keep your hips low' as you run.

- getting hit by a 'fast guy at 172 lbs' is not the same as getting hit by a faster guy at 272 lbs. DUCY?

My guess is the first or 2nd hit will break the wrist and/or forearm of the 'average NFL fan' as he tries for his 20 carry challenge. If you've watched enough NFL games you should know that, while it's not the proper technique, many of the current crop of defensive players will lead with their helmet and it's the helmet (or facemask) that will do the damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...the first part especially was hilarious
Old 05-18-2007, 01:50 AM

I think a lot of ppl saying yes are understimating the being way too scared factor.
If I did the challenge I would die brutally.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:07 AM

I dont think people realize how big reggie bush would be if he had ANY fat on him.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:17 AM

Would a champion Sumo wrestler be able to do this for positive yardage?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:48 AM

I predict that the average fan would fumble either during the handoff or after a hit about half the time. When fumbling during the handoff, the first instinct will be to try to retrieve the ball. A couple seconds later, that person will be crushed after the offensive line crumbles. I get the feeling that those experiences hurt.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cornell,

ricky williams wrote a diary for his first year in the NFL for espn the magazine. he wrote about his frustruations w/ the transition from college to pro. he discussed how the game was so different - that holes he spotted for his run were completely gone by the time he got there.

he also wrote about his frustration that year w/ his run productivity and how difficult it was to gain yards. he wrote that during a run he'd be dragging defenders trying to eek out every bit of distance in his run and finally go down and think he got about five or six yards and then hear over the PA system "willams for one yard."

nfl.com has williams weighing 228lb now. dont know what he weighed his rookie year but i would imagine it was more.

if williams had that much difficulty his freshman year, i cant imagine someone weighing 140lb could come close to gaining any yards.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:25 AM

To everyone saying, "He'd only get hurt in the open field or if he made it to the linebacker level," you're completely forgetting that the linebackers are going to be coming to him. The o-line will open a hole... that the average fan won't come close to hitting. He's just way too slow compared to the linebackers and pro RBs. Many times, those runs that get "stacked up at the line" are because of the linebackers filling. If its an average idiot back in the RB spot, the linebackers won't be filling, they'll be coming straight through the hole to snot bubble him.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 AM

this thread is just ridiculous. I agree with the posters who say that it would be hard for the average dude to run 20 successful times at most colleges without getting hurt. The LB's at my Division III school were roughly 230 LB roided up monsters, one of these guys literally threw me 10 feet one time in a drunken wrestling match (I was 190 lb's at the time). the Dlineman were stronger and slower, but even 1/2 a clean shot from one of these guys would be terrible news for the average dude. Div III dbacks generally aren't huge, but good ones know how to hit and if they got a clean shot your average guy would be in trouble.

playing RB is really hard, there is a reason why careers for these guys is so short - tackling them is the object for the 11 guys on the other side of the field.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also you spirit football guys have to be kidding. A defensive lineman in the NFL is about twice as big as the largest guy you've played against and about as fast. Get a clue.

Also we are talking about the average NFL fan. The average NFL fan is over 30, out of shape and hasn't been hit in any context in a decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on the average fan. For us college players, technique and experience in getting hit MIGHT help us survive. Hell, I made a pseudo-career out of bouncing off of people.

I'd be less worried about the linemen than the LB/secondary run-ups. Think Tatum, Lambert, Butkus, Singletary, Lott, Dawkins...
Old 05-18-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so the 250 lb linebacker with 4.6 speed can dislocate your neck. And he will.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you say so

[ QUOTE ]
- you don't 'keep your shoulder low' when you carry the football then say you should 'keep your hips low' as you run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'd say you keep your shoulders AND hips low, at least lower than the person trying to cream you.

[ QUOTE ]
- getting hit by a 'fast guy at 172 lbs' is not the same as getting hit by a faster guy at 272 lbs. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not... and if you're taking the full force of said linebacker on every run, you're in for some serious pain.
There would have to be a LOT on the line for me to even THINK about gambling on this.. but I'd have given myself a better shot back in the day than the "average" person, who I agree would risk serious injury just like any other untrained person.