Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: ask me about eyes

Question:

I'm in my mid-20's. My vision got bad when I was around 16, and my prescription hasn't changed at all since. What is the likelihood it will stay about the same for the rest of my life?

Also, I have roughly 200/20 vision apparently. What is the "average" prescription for people who need glasses? I am worse than most or about the same?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I've had a self-diagnosed sinus infection for like 4 days (I've had tons and have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis in the past)....but ok I've never had issues with my eyes.

Last night my left eye got a bit watery and then started exuding a lot of mucus. It's now a bit red but doesn't hurt or itch or anything (even with contact in). My right eye is completely normal.

Is this necessarily conjuntivitis? Could it be something else not that contagious?

I'm going to see an immunologist later today....should I be seeing someone else like an eye dude?

Thanks in advance!

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

You're seeing an immunologist for some other problem I assume bc you def don't need to see him for your red eye.

From the sounds of it , it sounds like conjuctivitis but I would definitely remove the contact lenses until it clears. You don't want it to develop into a corneal ulcer or something. There are many serious problems that can cause red eye although yours sounds like just an infection. Go see your eye dude to make sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm seeing the immunologist b/c I'm sick! Likely with a sinus infection that's not getting better. The eye thing is just a symptom I think but not the main problem (is it possible for it to be a symptom of a common sinus infection?). Ok, so I should see two doctors now? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

well , the eye problem may have nothing to do with the sinus problem. You need your eye dr to rule out more serious stuff and to give a eye drops to clear it up. DON'T wear contacts in the mean time.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:59 PM

If my contacts have UV protection. How bad is it to wear them in a tanning bed with no goggles. I do keep my eyes shut though.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:06 PM

I've been recently diagnosed with kariteconis(sp). Any chance that they'll come up with some surgery that doesn't involve retina transplant in the next little while? I'm really scared of this disease as contact lenses really freak me out.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you an md? i always get confused to whos who in the eye business.

[/ QUOTE ]

No...I'm an OD. Everybody gets us confused. Think of it this way

The amount of schooling required for an OD, MD,DDS,DC are all the same. However, to work as a family doctor you require another 2 years (I believe) but you are an MD even without the 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored]?? This thread totally blows. I went to school for 27 years (including Kindergarten) After college I did ten.

Optometrists treat eye disease in many states because they have a very powerful lobby and create increased scope of practice by legislative fiat.

The "MD" Makes a Difference....
Old 12-15-2006, 06:03 PM

I've tried to wear contacts a couple times over the years. Each time I've tried I find that I can only wear them for a few hours before they irritate my eyes to the point that I need to take them out. The last time I tried was about 5+ years ago with some daily wear disposables. Have there been any improvements over the last few years? Any suggestions on a brand that might work for me?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:18 PM

I have astigmatism in both eyes. How effective can surgery be for someone like me?

I'm sure it all depends on how bad my eyes are and all that junk. I just want to know if it's realistic for me to think I can get surgery and function without glasses/contacts.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:32 PM

slim,
I have pretty dark circles under my eyes and have had them since early teens. They are there no matter how good of a sleep schedule I keep. Some say that I just have pronounced cheekbones and my eyes are a little sunken in my head which causes the circles. What is the best way to combat circles under eyes?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:09 PM

slim,

any thoughts on ortho k?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:25 PM

slim, which joke do you like best? i wrote them myself.

1. what's an optometrist's favorite flower?

-an iris

2. what did the optometrist put on his taco?

-extra guaclomo

3. what's an optometrist's favorite beer?

-coronea

4. -knock knock.
who's there?
-see an eye
see an eye who?
-seeing eye dog-tor

edit to add #4

i have others