Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Jman\'s High Stakes Poker Trip Report (long)

I didn't read anything after your OP. But maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Maybe now you'll keep the rep of a tight arse and that it might make you much more in the long run.

Anyway GL
Old 05-16-2007, 03:52 AM

"Im sorry but complaining about a double straddle is ridiculous for someone with such a high opinion of himself. Either he should have planned for this or gambled on day two if the table was so great and put down 500k, I just dont see the point in whining about it"

"You obviously missed the point of that story, Brian."---Thurgood Jenkins
Old 05-16-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I made a commitment to play on day 3. I needed to save 500k to do so.

I might be whining a bit. I didn't mean to, but this just happened a day ago so I haven't cooled down yet. I was very upset about it.

I'm not blaming anyone for what happened. I guess I'm just unhappy about the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply, I see your point of view and I really hope that you and aba (or some others) get to play on season 5 b/c you add a sophisticated element to the game but there are a few things to remember:

1) the poker boom imo has largely been personality driven
2) alot of these personalities probably belong to the people given preference over you
3) the poker boom has funneled money from total donks up the ladder of the poker economy into your pocket so you should probably save as much of it as possible while the action lasts and retire at a young age.
4) dont give a crap if self promoters get a lot of tv time - they are equally good at what they do

I just think that HSP and poker in general needs these personalities to maintain the boom and cash flow into the poker economy and therefore need to be given preference once in a while
Old 05-16-2007, 04:12 AM

everytime action was on you you should have turned around and pretended to [censored] out a raise, followed by you saying when are we gonna actually start playing for money. you would have been more of a hero than you already are and also they would have been begging you to play day three. also you are a baller either way, [censored] this show and what the "public" thinks, they dont see your net worth so who gives a [censored].
Old 05-16-2007, 04:14 AM

This really blows! But I think you could kinda see it coming. Just think about aba who played well but hardly talked and *surprise* didn't get invited for this season.

The next great player to get on HSP should definately prepare to make sure he's TV material:

1. Tell people who talk bad about your game how you've made 4 times what they have made in the last few months or challenge them to HU matches and mean it. Don't be "Wanna play HU?" and then let it go but keep talking about how you really want to play for a lot of money to show everybody who's the daddy here.

2. Tell anekdotes! You can actually prepare those and then tell them wen they fit or don't fit. Any stupid story about "I was busto and came back withing 2 days" wil do. Doesn't have to be 100% true. You could for example tell about Grimstarr getting his 130K stolen. These stories are very entertaining for the TV audience.

3. Be willing to give away some EV for TV purposes. For example if you know on the river you have the best hand make a bet and while the other guy goes in the tank tell him he can fold and for $5k you'll show him your cards. Or you could reveal some of your reads. Go "I know you have a busted flushdraw, don't even try to bluff" or after 2 guys folded (as Jman explained in the OP) "You had middle pair and you had a gutshot". It doesn't even have to be right and it's still good TV.

Obviously do all this without being an ass. Do it in a I'm-your-buddy-style and smile and laugh while you do it. Then get rich and give me money!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 AM

You may want to clarify the game you would play for this open heads up challenge as someone might agree and pick a random game they assume to have an edge in over you.

**Clarify not saying you can't play other games as I don't know but just saw an opening someone might take on ya is all.**
Old 05-16-2007, 04:28 AM

unlucky, would have loved to see you play on day 3
Old 05-16-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you shouldve challenged hellmuth headsup immediately when he called you a nit. you either make him look like a bitch on national television or he plays you and you win lots of bling blang $$$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually seriously considered this.

I was really worried about coming off as a D-bag.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are worried that doing this would make you come off as a D-bag - I can only imagine how I will come off. I basically spent the entire 8 hours making fun of Phil - He is such an easy target that I couldn't help myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forward to watching this.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From an "outsider's" (no idea who Jman is) point of view, this thread leaves a seriously bad taste in my mouth towards the OP. Comes off extremely self-righteously. He bought in min, played like a nit and they decided to replace him with an ostensibly more interesting player - it's a shame he never got to put his master plan or whatever into action, but it's pretty easy to see HSP's point of view here. I can't imagine anybody affiliated with HSP who happened to wander into this thread would view the OP in a much more positive light either. Doesn't seem like the smartest idea posting this in terms of chances of getting back on the show. But it sure was a fun read, so I'm happy you did. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know of Jman, and I am impressed by his skills, but I do not really like all the self-aggrandizing either. You might want to try not being underrolled next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess bringing 1200x the bb is underrolled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sorry but complaining about a double straddle is ridiculous for someone with such a high opinion of himself. Either he should have planned for this or gambled on day two if the table was so great and put down 500k, I just dont see the point in whining about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made a commitment to play on day 3. I needed to save 500k to do so.

I might be whining a bit. I didn't mean to, but this just happened a day ago so I haven't cooled down yet. I was very upset about it.

I'm not blaming anyone for what happened. I guess I'm just unhappy about the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I'd be pissed if i were you too. I'm not sure how many veiwers HSP poker but i know that me and some of my friends (2+2ers) are much more inclined to watch HSP when there is a 2+2er like Aba on there.

for the people who are saying JMAN is an ass for being sarcastic about making 20k... when you bring 720k to a game, and you come out 20k ahead, thats dissapointing. dont look at it as making 20k, look at it as making about 3% on your investment. clearly its better than losing (or making anything less) but JMAN has a right to be dissapointed.

It really sucks because while you dont want to come off as a douchebag, it seems that if you did it would be very +EV for you. Also, the poker community knows/will know who you are/what you are capable of, so [censored] the random donks who watch the show who may think you are a nit (and phil hellmuth lolz)
Old 05-16-2007, 08:07 AM

Yeah, I actually think this is good for you overall... I guarantee they all talked about you and who you are online at some point... I think you'll definitely get a lot more action in the future because people now think you're a nittard.