Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 02:18 AM

Default Re: the king of kong

[ QUOTE ]
Is this correct?

<font color="white">-Billy holds the record for 20+ years at around 800k or something.
-Steve beats the record by a lot, but they don't count it for whatever reason.
-Steve sets the record live, at Funspot, and achieves the first live Kill Screen.
-Billy's little friend plays an old video that Billy has been hanging onto for a while that shows him getting an even higher score, they count it, and Billy has the record once again.
-At the end, Steve beats Billy's top score and is recrowned the champion.
-Epilogue: Billy once again reclaims the title with a new score.</font>

Is this accurate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good except:

<font color="white">The kill screen was the first one at Funspot. It's not clear whether it's the first live one</font>
Old 09-08-2007, 04:26 AM

Ah, damn. That's weak on the film makers part. Thanks for the insight, avatar sharer. And thanks Suzzer, I forgot to mention that.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:36 AM

Finally got around to seeing it the other day. Awesome movie! They definitely couldn't have cast a more evil villain then Billy if they had tried.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:40 AM

MEbenhoe,

Do you think the rumor that Billy studied Steve's tapes, gained new strategy from them, and then set a new record w/ a camera set to a fake date (to show he got to 1m first) is true?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:46 AM

M: "fwiw, I pretty much assumed anyone who would be remotely interested in actually seeing this movie already knew what CDS posted. Maybe I overjudged how common knowledge that was" That's pretty funny. I suspect the vast majority of people watching this film have little idea that there's even an official Donkey Kong record, and certainly don't know who holds it or if it was broken recently.

All: I just saw this tonight, thought it was awesome. And this was the first time I opened this thread. I'm always surprised at people who open OOT threads about movies they want to see and then are surprised when they see spoilers.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
M: "fwiw, I pretty much assumed anyone who would be remotely interested in actually seeing this movie already knew what CDS posted. Maybe I overjudged how common knowledge that was" That's pretty funny. I suspect the vast majority of people watching this film have little idea that there's even an official Donkey Kong record, and certainly don't know who holds it or if it was broken recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I definitely underestimated this movie's audience as only being video game nerds.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MEbenhoe,

Do you think the rumor that Billy studied Steve's tapes, gained new strategy from them, and then set a new record w/ a camera set to a fake date (to show he got to 1m first) is true?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've obviously never seen the tapes of them both playing, but I've read there tactics differ pretty greatly in some ways, so I doubt this is true.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:58 PM

yeah i think Day said that Billy liked to gain the majority of his points by jumping over barrels while Steve prefered to smash them.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:20 PM

All,

Last night spent an hour or so reading Twin Galaxies forum and various other articles and stuff. Sounds like Billy Mitchell got screwed over pretty bad in this movie, but at least he's getting a lot of publicity.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Last night spent an hour or so reading Twin Galaxies forum and various other articles and stuff. Sounds like Billy Mitchell got screwed over pretty bad in this movie, but at least he's getting a lot of publicity.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya from all accounts they are both kind of geeky douches in their own way...but they went ahead and portrayed Billy as a really mean spirited evil type of person...when he is apparantly just kind of geeky tool.