Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Crossfit Discussion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
maybe they have bad diets.

the guys in the video's I have been watching are big and ripped.

some of them are small, but maybe it's just genetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still confused by this. The guy Thremp provided as an example above is ripped. He is only 5'5", and wearing a sloppy shirt in the one vid, but he's extremely muscular as seen with his shirt off. The morph to: I work out so I "look good in clothes" because I'm usually wearing clothes is amusing for a couple reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a morph. Its a fact. I don't think you look good when you're sitting in a room and are the smallest dude there no matter how "ripped" you are.

Brad Pitt in Fight Club is not an ideal body type for a heterosuxual. He's feking tiny. I'm a fairly small dude and I would dwarf him.

[/ QUOTE ]

That guy is 5'5/150, not 5'11/155. Your appearance in clothing is much more a function of your taste and wardrobe budget, regardless, being ripped is not a handicap.

The common expression is "look good naked" for a reason.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:45 PM

shemp,

I don't disagree with that at all. The guy also looks like he carries a ton of his mass in his upper body as well. I need to think about this issue more to explain an exact criteria for htis.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still confused by this. The guy Thremp provided as an example above is ripped. He is only 5'5", and wearing a sloppy shirt in the one vid, but he's extremely muscular as seen with his shirt off. The morph to: I work out so I "look good in clothes" because I'm usually wearing clothes is amusing for a couple reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a morph. Its a fact. I don't think you look good when you're sitting in a room and are the smallest dude there no matter how "ripped" you are.

Brad Pitt in Fight Club is not an ideal body type for a heterosuxual. He's feking tiny. I'm a fairly small dude and I would dwarf him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basing your training on looks is a metrosexual thing. People are born different sizes and should work with what they got, not worry about how they look in clothes. Gaining mass should have a purpose beyond looking good. Tiny guys can do a hell of a lot of things a bigger man can't.
You don't have to look good in clothes to be a stud. No one cares but yourself.

Worrying about size and how other people think they look is unhealthy. Like bigorexia.
jmo.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:03 AM

please no one respond to this and change direction of thread.

*I know I am responding
Old 09-18-2007, 05:02 AM

yeah these crossfit guys look horrible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcf-WJ_ds...h?v=GAuP9Llm2hE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdsyBrt77dM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-RM6ebuis
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...nHeavyFran.mov

these rosstraining guys arent much better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ushya23QeQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSVHTe7z5Uw this kid is like 15 or 16

thremp you need to realize that this is what the majority of people want to look like, and im saying this as someone much bigger than any of them
Old 09-18-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Basing your training on looks is a metrosexual thing. People are born different sizes and should work with what they got, not worry about how they look in clothes. Gaining mass should have a purpose beyond looking good. Tiny guys can do a hell of a lot of things a bigger man can't.
You don't have to look good in clothes to be a stud. No one cares but yourself.

Worrying about size and how other people think they look is unhealthy. Like bigorexia.
jmo.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, tons of people care about how others look, from the women deciding whether you're attractive enough to the dudes with all their possible reactions, which can even include violence based on how much mass you're carrying. What we feel about that is one thing, but it's definitely happening.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:31 PM

You may be right, but I still think appearance as a main goal for training is rather wrong, when it usually takes care of itself with more important goals (ex. crossfit) put ahead of it.
I think looking unassuming would be advantageous in many circumstances.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:27 PM

I would much rather have an able body than a good looking one, but a mix seems ideal. At my most able, I was very far from my best looking, and it definitely had a notable negative impact on my life.

Of course, some people are able to be generally fit and good at their sports of choice while still keeping muscle on or even adding muscle, but natural metabolism affects that a lot. For an ectomorph like myself, very big compromises have to be made if I want to gain or retain any muscle to speak of.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CT,

Could you give a brief summary of your main issues with it?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is desgined as a one-size fits everything (literally) program. Training for a decathalon? Do CF. Fat guy who wants to drop 30 pounds? Do CF. That's a recipe for wasted time and effort, and usually failure.

I love the fact that it gets women lifting weights and eating sensibly, and some of their poster girls are hot.

The poster men are, to a man, guys who were studs before they ever heard of CF.

Anyway, the big thing to me is, if you were looking for any specific goal, there is a much better/safer way to go about it than pursuing CF.

I suppose if you really like being nauseous after workouts and losing in sports and having worse physiques than guys who train less hard and eat more of what they want (there are people like this), you can feel more hardcore than them while you do it.

It was specifically designed to work better for everything, under the theory that somebody who became a halfway decent sprinter, powerlifter, gymnast, & Olympic weightlifter would outperform most athletes (You can read the first CF journal and early interviews with Greg Glassman). In practice, it doesn't work.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 PM

I read this thread and J.Brown's TR with great interest. I have never heard of Crossfit until today. I have always been a fan of a lot of the principles that seem to go into crossfit however. A lot of them I learned from a acquaintance of mine who is a former Navy SEAL (google Stew Smith if you're interested). Like I said I ddidnt know about CF til today, although Im definitely now.

I think Chicago Troy is really misrepresenting the claims that the CF crowd puts forth though. I'll address a couple points that Troy brought up.

1. "Anyway, the big thing to me is, if you were looking for any specific goal, there is a much better/safer way to go about it than pursuing CF."

A. I sort of agree with you but dont here. I'll try to explain. Yeah if all you want to do is get big, CF isnt the best. If you all you want to do is knock a minute of your mile time, CF probably isnt the best. But I dont think that is what CF is trying to do. Its a program that tries to improve your fitness and functional strength.

2. " suppose if you really like being nauseous after workouts and losing in sports and having worse physiques than guys who train less hard and eat more of what they want (there are people like this), you can feel more hardcore than them while you do it."

The physique thing has already been argued so Im not going to dwell on that. I have no idea what you are talking about "losing at sports", could you expand on that?

3. "It was specifically designed to work better for everything, under the theory that somebody who became a halfway decent sprinter, powerlifter, gymnast, & Olympic weightlifter would outperform most athletes"

I think you are misrepresenting here, but I will read the articles you referenced. I know I know, I should read them first, but Im typing at work and sort of off the cuff.I think the point of the CF crowd is that their method or whatever you want to call it is better for the average to grow in many different aspects of fitness. But I dont know want to unfairly slight you here, I will read more tonight.