Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: not related to astroglide\'s three questions for david sklansky -

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This thread should be locked and half the posts deleted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why delete all the evidence? You don't think that Elaine will get involved in some other tiff months from now? This evidence of interactions should be preserved for posterity. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Evidence? This is not stuff that needs to be preserved for a future trial. Like durron said, if you want to keep this stuff then put it in another thread. The reason for deleting the posts are two fold. 1) They clog up a good thread for no reason and take away what it had to offer. 2) Deleting the posts will demonstrate how retarded and worthless the posts made by these people were. Hopefully they will grow up a bit and not have retarded pissing contests over nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let the word evidence put you off. No trial, just when they go off the handle next time, we can link here and nod knowingly to ourselves.

Why bother archiving anything in OOT? We could easily delete 90% of the old threads as being worthless (many are outdated). Just let the thread fade into history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally I would agree that we can just let threads die away, but typically these are threads that have their own retarded agenda. Here, however, there was a perfectly good thread that was pretty cool given the questions and the responder and it has been tainted by this excess fluff. The thread should be available to be bumped like it was so others can enjoy - and enjoy it for what it was and not for the crap that it has become.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Re: astroglide\'s three questions for david sklansky

[ QUOTE ]
There is no protective padding for any combatant other than the standard-issue cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 months later, i'm still desparately trying not to picture DS wearing only a cup
Old 01-12-2006, 03:52 PM

. The analogy simply doesn't work. And besides, even at Hooters you can't get away with jokes about "kicking her in the c-nt."

Off color? Sure, however this sub forum seems to exist to keep the locker room within 2+2. In other words, if Mat and company decide to rule with a heavy hand and ban people who make off color or racist/sexist statements, then those people will find another place to post and will reduce the traffic on 2+2 (sure it may be a minor bump on the road) and reduce the amount they can charge for ads.

People feel they have freedom of speech on here, and that entails hearing and reading things you wont agree with or find funny. Why complain about it by notifying moderators of posts etc...? People have as much right to make a joke about kicking a girl in the c*nt as you do to post your wedding pictures. Did it ever occur to you that somebody who thinks that marriage is a sham might find those photos as offensive as you find jokes about women?

OOT is cool becuase its a place for the readers to hang out and act like themselves (kinda like a bar). If you went to a bar and heard a guy make a joke about beating a woman, and every patron found it funny would you make a scene? OR would you simply not return to the bar, because you didnt like how the patrons acted? There are plenty of posters on 2+2 who avoid OOT because they think its sophmoric and offensive. Maybe you should follow suit.

As for Astro outing you, did it ever occur to you that you brought it on yourself by making your lame farewell post, in which you told people you had another account?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, it was stated in the original 5YO thread that these are psycho ravenous kids who are bent on attacking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they're still mods, I think they should have to behave with some kind of decorum.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, it took me a good 30 sec. to realize you were talking about the second part of my post. Ok, thanks, I'll find the 5-year old thread and quit trying to dredge it up here. Hard to reply to a 5 year old thread though, and I want to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that was pretty damn funny. nh sir [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then, Astro outed me as Otis, which likewise, I would not have minded nearly as much if it had come from a non-mod. Astro used his powers as a mod to find out who I was and then revealed it to everyone. I won't say how, since it will just be censored again, but it involves a level of privacy most posters have on other forums, but not this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if Im wrong, but I was under the impression that the chain of events went down like this:

- Commodus determined who you were (through the means that you know, but we dont discuss here)
- Commodus told Astro
- Astro outted you

This is the chain of events that Commodus described to me over aim, but it was a little while ago, and the details are fuzzy.

So, technically, your beef is not with astro, because he never abused his mod privledges.

Also, just a thought: If you didnt want others to know of your secret identity, dont make posts like the one you made. Whether or not you like it, letting people know you have a secret tends to indicate that you arent hell bent on keeping it secret (though, there are exceptions)
Old 01-12-2006, 04:40 PM

CMI,

You didn't need to write all that crap to get your point across. "I talk to Commodus on AIM" would have been sufficient.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:56 PM

Pwned.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CMI,

You didn't need to write all that crap to get your point across. "I talk to Commodus on AIM" would have been sufficient.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh... at one point, I could see this being a relevant point. But pretty much everyone knows now, so its really no different than saying "I talk to ___" on aim, which I say all the time.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if Mat and company decide to rule with a heavy hand and ban people who make off color or racist/sexist statements, then those people will find another place to post ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said they should be banned. I think the content is worth considering for deletion, but I would never promote banning a user. The only people I want to see banned are spammers. That's it.

[ QUOTE ]
People have as much right to make a joke about kicking a girl in the c*nt as you do to post your wedding pictures. Did it ever occur to you that somebody who thinks that marriage is a sham might find those photos as offensive as you find jokes about women?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, sure they have a right to say what they want. But in OOT the culture is to delete certain types of offensive posts (anti-Semitic jokes) and not others (anti-women jokes). I have a problem with that, yes.

OOT didn't always have a culture that was offended by anti-Semitic posts. They developed that when people who were offended stood up and said so.

Second, sure some people might be offended by our wedding pictures. They should say so. They should notify the mods.
Besides, I didn't post them. And wedding photos are a far cry from "kick her in the c-nt."

[ QUOTE ]
If you went to a bar and heard a guy make a joke about beating a woman, and every patron found it funny would you make a scene?

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on the context. It depends if I go to the bar other times and haven't been offended. It depends on if I know the bartenders and they agree with me but keep their mouths shut because they need the tips. It depends on if everyone laughs or just most of the people. It depends on if the joke is loud enough for the entire bar to hear... etc.

I was not the only one offended in the "sleepy girlfriend thread" by the "kick her in the c-nt" joke. Read the OP in that thread.

So, you can keep pretending that everyone in OOT is OK with women bashing, but it's not true. And whatever traffic OOT would lose from deleting such talk, could probably gain back from the ones currently avoiding it. You said it yourself:

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of posters on 2+2 who avoid OOT because they think its sophomoric and offensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-12-2006, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My biggest beef with this is that both Wacki in an earlier thread and [censored] in this one took some stance that what motivated Elaine was some sort of feminist bent, which is just a really stupid assumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bdids, I think you need to think things through a little more. You also make ZERO supporting arguments for your claims. To think my problems with Otis is because she is a "feminist" is very very out there. In all of my serious posts I have been very clear and thorough as I could possibly be (given certain restrictions) in explaining why I thought Otis was a piece of [censored] and her being a feminist has never come up. I have said repeatedly that her intolerance of benign behaviors and her "ambulance chasing lawsuit happy I'm a first year lawstudent" attitude was my primary motivation for thinking Otis is a sack of [censored]. I stand by my statements.

That does not mean I feel the same way about any of her other aliases. And yes, elainmonster, I know what several of those are and my mod powers were not used to find them.