Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain the health care \'crisis\' to me?

[ QUOTE ]

Holding the doctor "to the same standard" is an attractive principle. Pretty. It sparkles. But a lawsuit would do little to change medical practice, at least not more than a talk with an administrator, "hey, here's what happened," which is what we did. Lawsuits will not change the quality of health care, they just inflate the size of corporate legal departments and butt covering measures. We did not see my father's death as an opportunity to win the lottery, though if a judge could order him back to life, we'd reconsider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it would do little to change medical practice. But that's not the point. If a doctor causes someone harm through a negligent error, that person deserves to be compensated. It's not about punishment or preventing future errors; it's about recouping the value of what the doctor's mistake cost the victim of the mistake.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know this for sure, but I'd assume Walmart employees have pretty good health coverage available if they want it.

[/ QUOTE ]
You'd be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you need HC insurance, maybe find another employer. Last I checked, WalMart can't force anybody to work there.

I know there are many haters of WalMart...this source seems to be one, and the info provided I would not be shocked if it was spun in a bad light.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look, JuntMonkey made an assumption:
[ QUOTE ]
...I'd assume Walmart employees have pretty good health coverage available if they want it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is not true, and provided a link with evidence that Wal-Mart employees do not, in fact, have "pretty good health coverage available if they want it."

If you have any specific objections to the claims made in the report, fine, let's get specific. But your dismissal of the (extensively sourced) report's authors as "haters of WalMart" and your speculation that the "info provided" might have been "spun in a bad light" mean nothing to me, nor should they to anyone else, other than as a shining example of an ad hominem argument.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course it would do little to change medical practice. But that's not the point. If a doctor causes someone harm through a negligent error, that person deserves to be compensated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a lawsuit would have made us happy, we'd have done it. Since we did not want badly anything a lawsuit might provide, it therefore WAS a question of whether it would improve hospital routines or not. It wouldn't, so we didn't. As for justice, when we have a need for the satisfaction of seeing justice done, we go outside and slap mosquitoes.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain the health care \'crisis\' to me? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dan.

nm, this is getting too off topic
Old 05-30-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have no rebuttal to this. Would it make you feel better if I said "We're trying to get better?" I'm only a medical student, so my perspective is a bit limited, but I can assure you, we spend lots of time learning about disclosing medical error, and the reason we do this is EXACTLY because of the concerns you have raised here. They are very legitimate concerns. I guess the best I can do is assure you that I will not take this approach, and that I will in fact disclose all medical error that I INEVITABLY will make. And I can give you some assurance that my classmates will act similarly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be very interested in hearing about how you're instructed to deal with disclosure of errors. What are the attitudes like currently?

Have you read any of Atul Gawande's stuff? He's excellent, and any physcian should read both of his books. Also, if you're interested in preventative medicine and nutritional therapies, "The China Study," by T. Colin Campbell (not a physician, but a nutritionist and biochemist from Cornell) is a really excellent book.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you need HC insurance, maybe find another employer. Last I checked, WalMart can't force anybody to work there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, the "you don't have to work there" argument. Tell that to Chicago's westside poor, minorities who would literally starve without a job at WalMart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there is only one employer in the area, no subway system to get people to another part of town, or no way to move to a part of town that actually has jobs.

Oh wait, those wonderful minimum wage laws don't cause unemployment too.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course it would do little to change medical practice. But that's not the point. If a doctor causes someone harm through a negligent error, that person deserves to be compensated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a lawsuit would have made us happy, we'd have done it. Since we did not want badly anything a lawsuit might provide, it therefore WAS a question of whether it would improve hospital routines or not. It wouldn't, so we didn't. As for justice, when we have a need for the satisfaction of seeing justice done, we go outside and slap mosquitoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand why you didn't pursue a lawsuit. But it sounded like you were arguing against the validity of malpractice lawsuits in general by saying that they wouldn't change anything. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand why you didn't pursue a lawsuit. But it sounded like you were arguing against the validity of malpractice lawsuits in general by saying that they wouldn't change anything. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why do you hate doctors so much? You never got back to it.

[ QUOTE ]
Because there is only one employer in the area, no subway system to get people to another part of town, or no way to move to a part of town that actually has jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be my only comment about it, because this is getting too off-topic. But a real failure in Chicago is lack of information. It does not matter if there's a job on the Northshore that a Southsider could perform if he doesn't know the job exists.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be my only comment about it, because this is getting too off-topic. But a real failure in Chicago is lack of information. It does not matter if there's a job on the Northshore that a Southsider could perform if he doesn't know the job exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they not have newspapers or classified sections?