Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 06:15 AM

Default Re: New Fight Question

blackize,

True, true, but I still think you're thinking of a Rocky movie, with those big flailing hooks. I'm thinking of a Mike Tyson uppercut. Lightning quick, low, powerful.

I guess it's a matter of how much preparation would the fighters get. Would the boxer know he's going to fight a guy that's going to kick him in the nuts and inside the knee? Or is it just BAM and they're tossed in the ring?

Still, it's more of a question of how easy the MMA guy could take the boxer down. Standing up, the MMA guys techniques are laughable. I don't know how else to say it. However, I think once a takedown happens, it's hard to say how wily the boxer would be.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:22 AM

Bare Handed
90% UFC MMA
10% seal
0% other

The only way I can see the seal winning +50% is if the enclosure is a deserted island and they have to find each other and THEN kill their opponent.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:31 AM

"I read somewhere that it culminates in something like a 50-mile run with a 40-lb. backpack on or something crazy like that. "

this is what im talking about this kind of endurance is not very useful in a caged fight. it is however highly useful if you might have to hike several miles before the fight.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:34 AM

kdotsky,

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is the guys that know about boxing don't know [censored] about MMA (me) and vice versa

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
We have to discount the early UFC debacles with half-ass boxers and kung fu doods getting annihilated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those early UFC didn't attract any top rank boxers for obvious reasons. Money. They were has-beens or never-weres. I can't speak on the karatekas and others with any authority.

I'm pretty convinced the MMA guy would win against a top-flight boxer, but for intellectual argument's sake, I have dispute the 'not even close' part. In the same way it's hard for me to envision these guys wiggling around on the ground being able to annihilate anybody, it's hard for you to envision just how deadly accurate and dangerous a boxer's punches are. It doesn't matter how much MMA striking technique the guy has, it doesn't come close to true boxing skill.

Like I said though, I still believe the MMA guy would win. He would adapt better and like you interestingly said, might just start the fight on his back and avoid all standing confrontation. In the same way the boxer would be out of his element in any sort of grappling, the MMA guy would not be able to attack in the same way he'd attack another MMA guy. I'm confident that would fail easily.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:53 AM

ALL,

IRON MIKE WOULD BIT AN EAR OFF AND WHATEVER ELSE CAME CLOSE TO HIS MOUTH. HE'S ALWAYS BEEN INSANE. INSANE KILLER INSTINCT WILL ALWAYS GO A LONG WAY.

/end thread
Old 12-02-2006, 07:07 AM

I pretty much agree with everything you said, and you nailed the weaknesses I saw in my argument.

[ QUOTE ]

Those early UFC didn't attract any top rank boxers for obvious reasons. Money. They were has-beens or never-weres. I can't speak on the karatekas and others with any authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

- I was wrong to say the early UFCs are proof. However, it's the only evidence/experiment we have. We have no evidence leading us to believe otherwise. I don't believe it's needed, anyway.

- It didn't attract the greatest grapplers either. The grappler (Royce Gracie) that dominated those competitions got his ass kicked by a better UFC fighter this year.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty convinced the MMA guy would win against a top-flight boxer, but for intellectual argument's sake, I have dispute the 'not even close' part. In the same way it's hard for me to envision these guys wiggling around on the ground being able to annihilate anybody, it's hard for you to envision just how deadly accurate and dangerous a boxer's punches are. It doesn't matter how much MMA striking technique the guy has, it doesn't come close to true boxing skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I don't have a great understanding of the finer points of boxing. But the boxer won't have the chance to use his superior boxing skills, as you mention below.

[ QUOTE ]

Like I said though, I still believe the MMA guy would win. He would adapt better and like you interestingly said, might just start the fight on his back and avoid all standing confrontation. In the same way the boxer would be out of his element in any sort of grappling, the MMA guy would not be able to attack in the same way he'd attack another MMA guy. I'm confident that would fail easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the UFC fighter could just dive at the boxers legs and take him down. If he knows he has to avoid one punch from fully connecting during his dive, he can avoid it. Plus the boxer has never done repetitions of punching someone diving at his legs.

If the MMA guy wanted to be even safer, he could get on his back immediately, then edge forward towards the boxer. If the boxer tried to stand over him and punch him, the UFC fighter will break the boxers ankle before the boxer throws a punch. If the boxer tries jumping on top of him... well, that just won't work either.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:09 AM

why in the world do people think navy seals and special forces guys are superhumans at hand to hand weaponless combat. they are trained killers of course, but they rely on stealth and technology. they are definitely in great shape and mentally tough, but thinking they can win against an MMA fighter or get boxer or martial artist is folly.

we had a few seals come to learn jiu jitsu and thai boxing, and they were some of the coolest guys ive ever met, no ego at all, willing to learn, and when they first came, they got their asses handed to them but they learned very fast. but still they were far outclassed and usually got tapped out within seconds against the top jiu jitsu students
Old 12-02-2006, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why in the world do people think navy seals and special forces guys are superhumans at hand to hand weaponless combat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think their portrayal in TV/movies is the reason most people without a lot of knowledge of any of this far overrate the Asian martial arts and, to a lesser extent, the Seals, boxers, and street fighters.

Jet Li's choreographed moves look pretty sweet. A director that chooses their hero to be a Brazillian Jiujitsu expert is a horrible director.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why in the world do people think navy seals and special forces guys are superhumans at hand to hand weaponless combat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think their portrayal in TV/movies is the reason most people without a lot of knowledge of any of this far overrate the Asian martial arts and, to a lesser extent, the Seals, boxers, and street fighters.

Jet Li's choreographed moves look pretty sweet. A director that chooses their hero to be a Brazillian Jiujitsu expert is a horrible director.

[/ QUOTE ]

the ironic thing to me is that seals themselves dont think they are better fighters than MMA guys, only these people that buy into the legends and wives tales about them
Old 12-02-2006, 08:15 AM

I'd have to agree, based on that short clip.
As the UFC guy came in with his fists, a 19 year old Tyson would have him flat out one punch inside and through his jaw - game over.