Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Push with 7's
Yes (This is the hand to double up) 0 0%
No (Wait for a better spot) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: TV: What are you watching? 6/21

Anyone watching So You Think You Can Dance? I am looking forward to Wookie's analysis of last nights show. It was great. I can't wait to hear what he has to say about that Paso Doble! Also, dying to know his thoughts on the fox trot with Faina and Cedric. To my untrained eyes they were awesome and Cedric was absolutely captivating. I loved the blend of hip hop with the fox trot [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Sadly, the judges really hated it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My favorite couple is still Danny and Anya but for some reason (and don't laugh at this Wookie) I really really liked Pasha and Jessie doing the bird dance. I don't know why I like that Russian guy so much.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:52 PM

I'm watching The Guns of Navarone on DVD with my wife and kids. Excellent!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: TV: What are you watching? 6/20

[ QUOTE ]
10pm ABC - Traveler:
The Tells - Tyler and Jay discover Will's aliases and gather evidence on the bombing; the FBI makes an arrest that reveals the depth of the conspiracy. Meanwhile, Will resurfaces, before being captured by his bosses.

[/ QUOTE ]

On last night's Traveler we finally got a peak into what's been going on, although it's still not clear Why.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm watching The Guns of Navarone on DVD with my wife and kids. Excellent!

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie or the wife and kids?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Showbiz Show with David Spade. I think its a repeat but I have never seen it.

I am going to see him tomorrow night. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 PM

Does Wookie Think You Can Dance, 6/20-6/21

Hip hop #1, with Blonde Commodus. They got great reviews from the judges, but I was underwhelmed. The choreography was on the easier side, it seemed. The hip hop last week capitalized on some of B-Boy/B-Girl stuff that I really like to watch, and that was missing here. Blonde Commodus, while they were hard on him looking funny in the rehearsal bit, looked better than the chick.

Jazz #1, with Pasha and Jesse. I just had a whole weekend devoted to learning traditional jazz dancing, and not a single step in that whole routine was anything close to traditional jazz. That said, I really liked the routine. It was very expressive of the music, and the chemistry between the two was better than the first couple. Pasha might be my favorite male dancer.

Samba, w/ Hok and Jamie. Their samba was fun, but Mary was right about their technique. I liked Hok's performance better than Jamie's -- she was too far into her knees, it seemed.

Contemporary #1, w/ Fro Girl and the Head Spinner. This was a beautiful routine, but I don't have a whole lot to critique on this. I'm just not familiar w/ this style to say that much. I did like the difficult foot hooks and such.

Foxtrot, with Faina and Cedric. Faina looked great, but Cedric was obviously out of his element. I would have liked to see him hold on to his arms longer, and he has such huge long legs that he really needed to be taking bigger steps. His hands were a little odd, too.

Broadway, with the last of the Mohicans and Lacey. They were one of my favorite two last week. This week was solid, too. I find it funny that they did more traditional jazz steps than the jazz couple. There were a couple of synchronization issues, but they looked pretty sharp overall.

Viennese Waltz, with Anya and the bro of the champ. This is a dance that isn't see on DwtS. It's a fast waltz, and proper Viennese waltz actually contains exactly four steps: spinning to the right, spinning to the left, changing between the two, and spinning in place. They were dancing a somewhat more liberal style, but it looked good. The one judge commented on his hands, and I agree. His arms and hands are great. His footwork was slightly muddy in places, but that's mostly nitpicking. Anya really shined here. Nigel called it the routine of the night. Did I like it better than Jazz #1? They were close, but I do think this was a hair better.

Hip Hop #2, with Joss Stone and Gregory Hines. This routine definitely rocked harder than the first hip hop routine. I liked the higher energy choreography, and I agree they stepped it up. Interestingly, this routine ALSO contained more traditional jazz steps than the jazz routine.

Oooooh, and our last routine is Paso Doble. This week seems skewed towards ballroom dances, but I'm not complaining. Anyway, this one is danced by Sarah and the Jesus. I really couldn't get into this dance this week. I don't think the choreography fit the music. I do think it's funny that the Jesus is from Paso Robles and did the Paso Doble. I agree with the judges that the Jesus was looking sharper than Sarah, even if his shoulders were creeping in a little bit.

Not having seen the results show yet, my picks for the bottom 3, then will be the Foxtrot, the samba, and hip hop 1. Dishonorable mention goes to the paso doble.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:44 PM

I wrote this up before reading Katy's comments, so I'm smiling that we agree so much [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Well, other than the foxtrot. Cedric seems to be great at hip hop, but I'm underwhelmed w/ his other dances. He didn't make me a believer in his arms, especially compared to the Viennese Waltz guy. Even in his face, he looked like he was just going through it rather than owning it.

One thine I'd also like to add is that I've been impressed with how masculine the men in the contemporary dances have been. Just as I typed that, I'm watching the intro to the results show, where the men do the boob shirt thing. Well, I guess I have to take that back, but in the couple's routines, the men have still been dancing in a very masculine fashion. My main turn off to contemporary dancing is how feminine the men end up looking. I've been impressed with the contemporary dances, in that they've shown an interplay between the men and the women rather than making the men into women.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:13 PM

Hmmm. It looks like hip hop 1 avoided the bottom 3. Ugh, but Pasha and Jesse are in the bottom 3? They were robbed.

Man, I guess I'm terrible at predicting the bottom 3 for this show, apparently. The samba dodged it, too.

I was thinking this thing might have been rigged to put one couple in the bottom 3 from each group of 3 couples, but I glad I'm wrong. None of the middle three couples deserve to be in the bottom 3, but really, neither do hip hop 2 nor the Viennese Waltz, but one of them will be. Ooph. I guess the bias against slow, smooth dances shows here.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 PM

Well, prior to hearing the judges' decision, I think Jesse is going to bite it, and I just hope that Pasha doesn't.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
8pm CBS - Pirate Master:
Death by Coconuts - A royal pardon is discovered along with the treasure; the alliance between Sean and Jay crumbles; Joe Don challenges Jay's loyalty to him; a fourth bucaneer is cut adrift. Pirate Master thread in EB

[/ QUOTE ]

Thoughts on last night's Pirate Master:

Cheryl is happy she wasn't cut last week, while Jay is obviously pissed at Sean. The girls are not liking Nessa's flirting with the guys. Captain Azmyth's fake accent is really annoying.

On the challenge, Black Crew was ahead at the sabotage point, but they screw up their search and end up going back to the clue point. Major screwup by Azmyth. Meanwhile Red starts digging by the anchor first and finds the treasure.

The treasure is only 5K, Red Crew elects Louise as the new Captain, and he selects Sean and Nessa as his officers. I'm starting to think there needs to be some thought put into selecting officers that wouldn't vote the way that you want to vote, since the Captain and Officers don't get to vote.

A Royal Pardon was also with the treasure. Whoever has the Royal Pardon cannot be set adrift. The Pirates will bid on the Pardon and if they do not need to use it at Pirates Court, then they have to sell it before the next Pirates Court. This certainly adds another twist and should make things interesting as money starts shifting around.

Jay and Joe Don have a falling out, as everyone submits their bids for the pardon. Black Spots go to: Cheryl, Joe Don and Azmyth.

At Pirates Court, after everyone defends themselves and the votes are in, its revealed that Joe Don got the Royal Pardon with a 7K bid, but he didn't get the most votes, also no mutiny ballots... Cheryl 4, Joe Don 3... and Cheryl is cut adrift.