W. Dunn @ Cin 6 35.29%
S. Alexander(if he plays) @ KC 3 17.65%
T. Henry Vs. Hou 8 47.06%
M. Jones-Drew @ Phi 0 0%
F. Taylor @ Phi 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Re: ****Official 2007 NY Mets NL East Champs Thread****

Stop watching unless you get enjoyment out of seeing Heilman give up home runs. If that's the case then by all means stay tuned.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 AM

Why do you have confidence in your team when it's getting bum rushed every night. I like the Braves but the Phillies have been very solid for the last month. I just don't see why right now you can have confidence in your team, the pitching has been bad and their have been struggles by a lot of hitters. I've read this thread and some thought you guys would just blow away the competition even when on paper your pitching wasn't as good as it's performed for the first two months (Maine was pitching out of his mind, so has Perez). Will see what happens but to not be scared of what can possibly happen when 2 teams who are very capable are only 1.5 and 2 games behind them. The Mets schedule also doesn't get any easier with the A's and the Twins coming up this week. The Braves doesn't get much easier as well with the Tigers and Bo Sox on tap although the Sox have been struggling for some reason or another. The Phillies have a slightly easier schedule with the Cards and Indians on the road.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop watching unless you get enjoyment out of seeing Heilman give up home runs. If that's the case then by all means stay tuned.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, gonna continue watching cos im on holiday and got nothing better to do but thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:37 PM

Capone,

I see where you are coming from. The Mets have done nothing but lose 5 straight series and look like a double A team. But, the thing is the rest of the division is doing the same thing. Yeah the Mets have Twins(and catch Santana on Tuesday) and A's coming in but a 3-3 in that strech should allow them to keep pace with both the Phils and the Braves. Can they go 3-3? That's the big question. But I have to assume that sooner or later this lineup is gonna put up at least 6 runs 5 times in 7 games. They can go on stretches like that. And if they can start doing that it's gonna be tough on the competition. But, it's all an if factor right now. Maybe this lineup really needs Alou in it?

Anyway, what I came in here to say was I keep hearing the trade of Buerhle + Jermaine Dye for Milledge + Humer/Pelfrey/Mulvy. What do you guys think? Which of the pitchers would you want to give up?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:40 PM

I really don't think getting Buerhle / Dye will solve anything. Dye is a power upgrade / defense and speed downgrade, Buerhle isn't much better than Maine or Perez... they don't need to dump prospects at this point. If they're going to lose Milledge and a pitching prospect or two they're probably going to go after Oswalt or Willis, Oswalt being by far the more desirable choice IMO
Old 06-18-2007, 03:43 PM

for the short term, i don't see how the mets turn that trade down...i'm down on both milledge (because of his attitude mostly) and pelfrey...

dye is at least servicable, and beurhle (or however u spell his name) is young, 28ish and eats innings which isn't a bad thing with el duque, pedro, and glavine on the roster...
Old 06-18-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm down on both milledge (because of his attitude mostly)

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep hearing this... what specifically is this based on? I've seen him interviewed before and he's always come across as a class act. He also happens to be extremely talented... renting Dye and getting Buerhle in exchange for Milledge (who has huge upside) and Pelfrey/Humber/whatnot (any of whom will probably be at least as good as Buerhle if not much better) just doesn't seem like that great of a deal.

Remember the team was winning 3 weeks ago and there wasn't this panic... I just don't see it as a big deal. The Mets will win the division rather easily because they happen to be the best team. They'll get into the playoffs and then it's a crapshoot, but I can't see them selling the farm system for aging, middle-of-the-road players like Dye and Buerhle. The reason they're in the market for starters / outfielders in the first place is because they have aging starters and corner outfielders... getting Dye and Buerhle doesn't help that problem imo.

Oswalt is a different story, because he's a legitimate ace on almost any pitching staff. Trading for an ace is a lot different than trading for a 6 hitter and a 3rd or 4th starter.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:51 PM

If I was the GM I would tyr to trade for one of those power guys that can play both the OF and 1st base and another decent OFer. If Delgado is still perfoming like this come September, bench him. I'd also release Schoewnweiss and put Tom Glavine in the bullpen when Pedro comes back. Of course none of this will ever happen because teams always ride guys that make a lot of money into the ground.

To get those two outfielders id give up the entire farm, because AAA prospects are totally meanigless and new ones pop up every year, ask the Yankees.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was the GM I would tyr to trade for one of those power guys that can play both the OF and 1st base and another decent OFer. If Delgado is still perfoming like this come September, bench him. I'd also release Schoewnweiss and put Tom Glavine in the bullpen when Pedro comes back. Of course none of this will ever happen because teams always ride guys that make a lot of money into the ground.

To get those two outfielders id give up the entire farm, because AAA prospects are totally meanigless and new ones pop up every year, ask the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

What on earth makes you think Glavine can pitch from the pen at his age? And bench Delgado, seriously? For who? The Mets are going to win the division regardless... there's no point in dumping the farm system to pad the lead another 5-10 games. Unless they're getting playoff help (an ace pitcher) it's stupid to trade for aging players.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 PM

And btw Schoeneweiss is obviously terrible, but he was actually thought of somewhat highly when he was signed, it isn't unthinkable that they might be able to get something for him in a trade... at any rate he's signed for 3 years, you can't just release him, that's immeasurably stupid.