Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: HOT or NOT
HOT 2 7.69%
NOT 24 92.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: MNF Football: Cowboys vs. Bills

Who cares about the pass rush? Rush 2 guys for all I care. The only way you can lose is if they score a touchdown or get out of bounds, so giving up the quick out is just unconscionable. Have every defender shade the outside of their receiver, if they want to hit a 15 yard pass down the middle who cares, it's game over. Stack 4 guys in the end zone, rush 2, have the other 5 guys play man on the outside of the receiver, and make them do something ridiculous to get out of bounds or score a touchdown, don't give them a 50 yard kick for the win.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think its pretty obvious the Bills would MUCH rather give up the shot at a 53-yarder by a rookie than give up something big deep or down the middle with all their guys watching the sideline. Kid's just got ice in his veins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations, you are officially the the dumbest poster in the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

It got lost in quick reply, but I was responding to someone who said Buffalo should have put 4 or 5 guys on each sideline. Plus, if you think that was an easy play to defend at all, you're insane. You've got TO and Crayton, I'd much rather force them to dump it off and try from 50+ with a rookie than let them get deep anywhere.

=

[/ QUOTE ]

Edge, wtf are you talking about? Do you think their gonna complete a 55 yard pass down the middle of the field for a TD? No freaking way. Buffalo had 7 DB's in the game. There is a 0% chance unless they throw a pass into the endzone unless they catch a jump ball that the Cowboys score a TD there. It's a VERY basic defense to just protect the sidelines there, which they didn't do.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my last reply - I didn't make it clear enough that I didn't mean just going deep for a TD when I said "don't give up anything deep". They were pretty much resigned to making the Cowboys try a very long kick with a rookie in a high-pressure situation.

Was that a good decision? Not in retrospect, but I've seen this mentality at every level of football I've been involved in (HS, d-3, and d-2 ball) and you have to understand that even for NFL kickers, 50+ is anything but automatic. People take that for granted because these guys tend to be so automatic, but that's still a long [censored] kick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I better understand your point now Edge. With 7 seconds on the clock Dallas might have been able to get a bigger chunk of yardage down the sidelines.

Go America's Team! Cowboys won and Bills lost. I however have gained alot of respect for Edwards. I root for Bills from now on as my 3rd favorite team.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think its pretty obvious the Bills would MUCH rather give up the shot at a 53-yarder by a rookie than give up something big deep or down the middle with all their guys watching the sideline. Kid's just got ice in his veins.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It got lost in quick reply, but I was responding to someone who said Buffalo should have put 4 or 5 guys on each sideline. Plus, if you think that was an easy play to defend at all, you're insane. You've got TO and Crayton, I'd much rather force them to dump it off and try from 50+ with a rookie than let them get deep anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess I would just put my entire defense on the sidelines instead of just saying "don't let anything get deep, we'll give them 3 yards and make him kick it deeeeeep if they catch it."

I guess all those years of playing football in high school and college haven't taught me anything, especially since I've played both as a defensive back and a kicker. I must not know anything about how the game is played, and neither do the coaches who always say "we're not going to give up the deep ball, we'll give them 2 or 3 if they catch it".

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLz, it's not difficult to take away the quick outs AND not get beat deep for the TD, that's all they had to take away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you want any pass rush at all, it gets even more difficult. As I said before, my original response was to a guy who wanted 8-10 Bills watching the short sideline routes. Still, you give way too much credit to defenses to be able to just shut down both short sideline and deep routes "easily". Is it possible? Of course, but you have to decide what's important, as a coach.

Should they have had more guys up close? Sure, why not? But they made the decision to give the Cowboys a few yards and make them work for a long kick instead of risking giving them a much shorter, easier FG. I'm not only saying they didn't want to give up a TD, I mean anything that would make a FG, say, 40 or shorter.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is there was 7 seconds left, pretty much everything but a quick out=game over, and the Cowboys would rather kick a 60 yarder than take their chances with a 10-15 yarder at the sidelines.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pats -5 to -6, almost solely because of this game.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd be really surprised if this were the line. If so, I'd definitely take Dallas. Pats will probably be 3 point favorites at best, and I still think that line favors the home team.

It's not like this team has completely luckboxed its way to 5-0. They beat the [censored] out of 4 teams, and had one poor game on the road they should've lost. If you're arguing that the rest of the season was an anomaly, and this is the real Cowboys, you have it backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah. This game was probably more of an anomaly than the last 4, and I'm just annoying/annoyed at cowboys fans. Really though, Tony Romo was outperforming ridic up to this point, and he really shouldn't be that good for the rest of the season. Just that the Patriots are very, very good, and this game makes me (and probably the books) think "the Cowboys ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE."
Old 10-09-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

=

[/ QUOTE ]

Edge, wtf are you talking about? Do you think their gonna complete a 55 yard pass down the middle of the field for a TD? No freaking way. Buffalo had 7 DB's in the game. There is a 0% chance unless they throw a pass into the endzone unless they catch a jump ball that the Cowboys score a TD there. It's a VERY basic defense to just protect the sidelines there, which they didn't do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, how would they protect the sidelines? Put three guys on each one 10 yards from each other with the first being 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and put the other 5 guys in the middle of the field?

Wouldn't Dallas have been able to complete a 10 yard pass down the middle and spike the ball, or did they not have enough time?

Do defensive coordinators even have such an alignment in the game plan for these situations? I really doubt it.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 AM

Glad the Cowboys won because of the nonsense at the end. I am sick and tired of these last-second timeouts. I understand coaches have always tried to "ice" the opposing kicker by calling meaningless timeouts. However, the [censored] that is happening this year where the only person who knows the timeout is being called is one official on the sideline is complete nonsense. Enough already. Change the rule. Make a player on the field call timeout. It's stupid. I'm sick of seeing it at the end of every game. What if someone gets seriously injured on one of these plays that doesn't count because all 22 players think the play is happening when in reality it doesn't even matter.

End of rant.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know I'm in the minority, but this is why I don't like the onside kick - just adds a pure luckbox factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. The Bills played that onside kick terribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a coin flip across the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

Onside kicks are most certainly not 'coin flips!'

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying some teams only allow like 20% of onsides to be recovered and some like 80%?

[/ QUOTE ]

For [censored]'s sake, the average successful onside kick rate has got to be in the twenties if not the teens. That's why it's a desperation / trick play.

[/ QUOTE ]

13% of anticipated onside kicks were recovered by the kicking team

[/ QUOTE ]

That's weird - I distinctly remember the 50-50 stat from about 5-6 years ago. Maybe rules changed or defenses changed like this article guesses. But I still don't like it - it just gives the losing team a freeroll at the end of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that onside kicks have never succeeded at anywhere close to 50%
Old 10-09-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

=

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See my last reply - I didn't make it clear enough that I didn't mean just going deep for a TD when I said "don't give up anything deep". They were pretty much resigned to making the Cowboys try a very long kick with a rookie in a high-pressure situation.

Was that a good decision? Not in retrospect, but I've seen this mentality at every level of football I've been involved in (HS, d-3, and d-2 ball) and you have to understand that even for NFL kickers, 50+ is anything but automatic. People take that for granted because these guys tend to be so automatic, but that's still a long [censored] kick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you defend against a deeper out pattern while still at least having a man on the guys who are running the short out routes. The thing that is mind boggling is that BUF essentially gave DAL the yardage necessary to make it at least a makeable FG. If I'm BUF, I'm rushing 3 (maybe even 2), putting a man on each receiver and I've got 3 safeties over the top. There's no reason you can't defend any length of the sideline like that.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't Dallas have been able to complete a 10 yard pass down the middle and spike the ball, or did they not have enough time?

Do defensive coordinators even have such an alignment in the game plan for these situations? I really doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was 7 seconds left. DAL had no time to line up again to spike it.

I would hope most D Coordinators had some type of scheme to defend with in such a high leverage situation.