Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: *Red Sox thread* News, views, and love for the front office

When I looked at the MLB standings in the past week, I was only paying attention to the playoff teams (not Red Sox). So, I was caught a bit by surprise by the final AL East standings.

1. NY Yankees 97 65 .599 --
2. Toronto 87 75 .537 10
3. Boston 86 76 .531 11

4. Baltimore 70 92 .432 27
5. Tampa Bay 61 101 .377 36
Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 AM

The Sox fell apart the last 45 days of the season.

At any rate, random rookie non-prospect (at least I hadn't heard of him before he got called up) throws a complete game shutout in the final game of the season allowing one walk and zero hits.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM

Not really news because we all knew that Adam Stern would be the Player to be named later for Jazy Lopez. But it kind of just piles on what has been a dreadful year for the Sox front office.

Not that Adam Stern is the second coming or anything but he did have some good games and contributed in April before the Sox sent him down. So here's another trade where they basically received zero in return as Javy Lopez was worse than awful.

I can't think of one deal the Front Office made this year that turned out well, not one. How the hell did the boy genius all of a sudden become stupid? Or is the luck factor on deals much bigger than we think?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really news because we all knew that Adam Stern would be the Player to be named later for Jazy Lopez. But it kind of just piles on what has been a dreadful year for the Sox front office.

Not that Adam Stern is the second coming or anything but he did have some good games and contributed in April before the Sox sent him down. So here's another trade where they basically received zero in return as Javy Lopez was worse than awful.

I can't think of one deal the Front Office made this year that turned out well, not one. How the hell did the boy genius all of a sudden become stupid? Or is the luck factor on deals much bigger than we think?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Varitek injury was huge. Finding a decent replacement at Catcher is very hard. I was very happy about this trade as Javy Lopez has been a consistent mid-800s OPS kind of guy for the past decade or so. He had a couple down years before 2003, had a big breakout contract year and was then was very solid for the Orioles the past couple of years. It seems that his body is just falling apart after twenty years behind the plate which isn't all that unexpected though, he just unfortunately lost it when the Sox picked him up. Overall, giving up Stern for Lopez given their situation was a very very good front office move.

On the other hand, I though the Bard/Meredith deal was very reactionary and stupid. Bard would have figured out the knuckleball eventually and once he did he would probably project to hit much better than Mirabelli at the respective points in their careers. Plus Bard is young and we can hold on to him which is worth quite a lot.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 PM

I think the biggest mistake that Epstein made, and others continue to make it, is to not realize the difference between the AL and the NL. The AL kicked the crap out of the NL this year. And if you look at the last few years pitchers who have changed leagues, it is really obvious that you have to adjust AL pitchers up and NL pitchers down. Clement, Wright, Pavano, Randy Johnson, etc... etc.. come to the AL and seem mediocre. Pedro, Pettite, Clemens, go to the NL and look way way better. It really seems like Theo thought Arroyo-> Beckett was some huge upgrade, but I'm not sure he should have thought it was.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It really seems like Theo thought Arroyo-> Beckett was some huge upgrade, but I'm not sure he should have thought it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has a lot more to do than Beckett being from the NL - he's simply not very good.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the biggest mistake that Epstein made, was letting Johnny Damon sign with the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the biggest mistake that Epstein made, was letting Johnny Damon sign with the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the worst mistake you make as a GM, you are probably running a damn good club.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think you're mistaken about that one

to me the sanchez/ramirez trade hurts the most followed by the bard/meredith trade. meredith was sucking ass in the sox pen when he was here last year but clearly had potential. but ramirez is going to be a real deal ML shortstop for many years and sanchez looks legit. sox are definitely better this year with ramirez at short, sanchez and/or arroyo in the rotation instead of beckett. and there's no doubt about who is better down the road.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think you're mistaken about that one

to me the sanchez/ramirez trade hurts the most followed by the bard/meredith trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sanchez/Ramirez was not Epstein's work, but the Bard/Meredith trade was.