Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Re: *** Official St Louis Cardinals to the 2006 World Series Thread **

[ QUOTE ]
it was a leadoff single, right? miles gets on, duncan bunts to 1 out, pujols walks...that gives rolen a longshot chance at a risp hit, and then whoever was 5th

[/ QUOTE ]

Preston Wilson struck out after the Miles single so Duncan was up with one out.

It was a really bad ninth inning. Leadoff single, strikeout, strikeout, walk, strikeout.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it was a leadoff single, right? miles gets on, duncan bunts to 1 out, pujols walks...that gives rolen a longshot chance at a risp hit, and then whoever was 5th. with a better lineup, like encarnacion or spiezio in cleanup, it's even better. the most frustrating element of the lineup by far to me is rolen going 4th, or at this point even 5th. it looked like it was over but we had it again tonight.

in general though i think the bunt is underused by our team. you could experiment with stuff like having preston wilson batting second against lefties and bunting if miles/eckstein get a leadoff hit, that might be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 09-26-2006, 12:54 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
st. louis fans are not without their flaws, but they seem to be among the classiest when it specifically comes to not booing their own players and cheering for expatriates.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have noticed this too: i went to larry walker's first game as a cardinal and he was given a huge ovation even after striking out in a big spot in his first AB.

those who live in the area: is this just a regional difference in general attitude towards life, or just towards the hometown nine?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i have noticed this too: i went to larry walker's first game as a cardinal and he was given a huge ovation even after striking out in a big spot in his first AB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone remember Stubby Clapp's MLB debut at bat a few years back? The crowd was going nuts chanting STUB-BY STUB-BY the whole time, and even though he struck out, he got an ovation. Pretty neat to give a career minor-leaguer a real moment in the sun.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it was a leadoff single, right? miles gets on, duncan bunts to 1 out, pujols walks...that gives rolen a longshot chance at a risp hit, and then whoever was 5th. with a better lineup, like encarnacion or spiezio in cleanup, it's even better. the most frustrating element of the lineup by far to me is rolen going 4th, or at this point even 5th. it looked like it was over but we had it again tonight.

in general though i think the bunt is underused by our team. you could experiment with stuff like having preston wilson batting second against lefties and bunting if miles/eckstein get a leadoff hit, that might be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely think the bunt is overused and am still pissed about the game during the first homestand verse Milwaukee at home were the Cards wasted an out on a sac

it would've doubly sucked in this situation as it would've set up a Pujols walk.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:55 PM

This just in: Skip Bayless on "1st and Ten" reports that the Cards are done for the season and will be caught by the 'Stros.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:29 PM

<font color="blue">I completely think the bunt is overused</font>

perhaps, but i don't think it's overused by the cardinals. other than pitchers, when are you seeing them do it?

<font color="blue">it would've doubly sucked in this situation as it would've set up a Pujols walk</font>

i thought there were 0 outs. with 1 out and rolen behind pujols, it clearly would have sucked.

duncan is still striking out 24% of the time, and he's sub-200 w/RISP. i think he needs to work on contact and the ability to at least hit sac flies.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This just in: Skip Bayless on "1st and Ten" reports that the Cards are done for the season and will be caught by the 'Stros.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it actually happens, this would have to top the Phillies collapse in 1964 (6 games ahead with 10 to play) and the Red Sox collapse in 1978 (14.5 games ahead in July).

St. Louis 80 75 .516 - Lost 6
Houston 78 78 .500 2.5 Won 6
Old 09-26-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel better about the Cards chances now
Old 09-26-2006, 08:16 PM

well, carpenter's off to a bad start [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

2 balls, lead-off double, wild pitch to advance the runner to 3rd, next pitch is nearly wild, throws one more ball to make it 3-0 before the second hitter grounds out a run.