Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: my solution to the gay marriage argument

[ QUOTE ]
"Children raised in homosexual households will become gay."

The bulk of evidence to date indicates that children raised by gay and lesbian parents are no more likely to become homosexual than children raised by heterosexuals. As one researcher put it, "If heterosexual parenting is insufficient to ensure that children will also be heterosexual, then there is no reason to conclude that children of homosexuals also will be gay". 11

Studies asking the children of gay fathers to express their sexual orientation showed the majority of children to be heterosexual, with the proportion of gay offspring similar to that of a random sample of the population. An assessment of more than 300 children born to gay or lesbian parents in 12 different samples shows no evidence of "significant disturbances of any kind in the development of sexual identity among these individuals". 12

[/ QUOTE ]

this is from http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/f_gay/f_gayb.cfm

one doesn't have to look hard to find corroborating evidence. Though we all know any methodical studies of children raised by gay parents pales in significance to your opinion.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I'm saying-
I believe gays should have the right to marry the same as I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

It turns out that every single US citizen has exactly the same right to get married. If that wasn't the case, the 14th amendment would have been invoked to overturn unconstitutional laws long ago.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I skimmed this thread and found it to be very absurd talking about only tax breaks as it relates to marriage. I am sorry if this has already been mentioned, but if I adopt a child to raise with another male life partner I have to try and adopt that child as a single parent. Even though I plan on living with said life partner till the day I die, I am at a disadvantage at getting a child. Even when I get this child, if I die the child will be placed in the custody of the government, not my life partner who has been raising the child just as long as I have. It's absolutely absurd that homosexual couples can not be recognized as married by the government. There are thousands of ways that gay couples of discriminated against by the government, a lot of them outside of tax breaks, because they can not be legally recognized as a married couple.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you didn't have a will, then it's your own damned fault if your kid is given to the State. Stop trying to get the government to make up for your mistakes!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the obvious example of the tax filing, most of those things can be accomplished without being married through a simple PoA and living will.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's part of the issue, though. Sure many of the benefits of marriage CAN be conferred through contract (though MANY can't), it is still a huge benefit of marriage that a married couple doesn't have to do anything short of marriage to get those benefits.

[ QUOTE ]
With the obvious example of the tax filing, most of those things can be accomplished without being married through a simple PoA and living will.

We're just going in circles now.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how much easier is it if its all accomplished through marriage? Why treat gays differently? You're not supplying any reason why gays shouldn't have these same rights.

[ QUOTE ]
We should be focusing our efforts on trimming the government down to size instead of pointless squabbling over who should keep more of their tax money. How about EVERYONE keep most of their tax money, and we shave 85% off the size of our government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely different argument and thread and has no bearing on the discussion of whether or not gay couples should receive the same rights as hetero couples.

yo who the [censored] cares if children grow up to be gay? big [censored] deal. jesus christ if it's mostly americans posting in this thread, the less americans the better. let's hope nobody reproduces anymore. you all bitch and cry and moan about people being irresponsible parents and blah blah blah and the breakdown of families and then when people want to adopt kids and actually raise a family, it's "oh no the species won't survive" ... ffs blahhhh
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It turns out that every single US citizen has exactly the same right to get married. If that wasn't the case, the 14th amendment would have been invoked to overturn unconstitutional laws long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't.

Anne has the right to marry Bob.
John does not have the right to marry Bob.
The ONLY reason John does not have the right to marry Bob is because of his gender.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I skimmed this thread and found it to be very absurd talking about only tax breaks as it relates to marriage. I am sorry if this has already been mentioned, but if I adopt a child to raise with another male life partner I have to try and adopt that child as a single parent. Even though I plan on living with said life partner till the day I die, I am at a disadvantage at getting a child. Even when I get this child, if I die the child will be placed in the custody of the government, not my life partner who has been raising the child just as long as I have. It's absolutely absurd that homosexual couples can not be recognized as married by the government. There are thousands of ways that gay couples of discriminated against by the government, a lot of them outside of tax breaks, because they can not be legally recognized as a married couple.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you didn't have a will, then it's your own damned fault if your kid is given to the State. Stop trying to get the government to make up for your mistakes!

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you know your comment makes no sense. It does not address anything that I have stated in my post. I stated that I can not give custody of my child to my life partner if I die even though we are both raising it. Legally my life partner is some random dude. The government is tearing apart my family because of my death. It's quite sad that the fear irrational of gays can cause this.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't.

Anne has the right to marry Bob.
John does not have the right to marry Bob.
The ONLY reason John does not have the right to marry Bob is because of his gender.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he means is that a man can only marry a woman, eg a straight man can't marry another straight man, he can only marry a woman. it's a petty and linguistic argument that entirely misses the point, which is pretty much par for the course here apparently.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yo who the [censored] cares if children grow up to be gay? big [censored] deal. jesus christ if it's mostly americans posting in this thread, the less americans the better. let's hope nobody reproduces anymore. you all bitch and cry and moan about people being irresponsible parents and blah blah blah and the breakdown of families and then when people want to adopt kids and actually raise a family, it's "oh no the species won't survive" ... ffs blahhhh

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the problem is Americans. I'm willing to bet it has more to do with the biases of certain religious followers...