Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: WOW! No Official Ranking Thread. I Will Start One

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay I agree with all of that, and it's remarkable that Sagarin and others don't fix that. That has always been my argument for Auburn>Oklahoma in '04. Auburn played 4 top 15 teams that year, and Oklahoma played 1. But Auburn gets left out because of the difference between Bowling Green and the Citadel.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a little more than that. I notice you cut it off at the top 15 instead of top 20, which would've made it 4-3, as well as OU having the top ranked opponent. None of OU's toughest opponents were at home that year, while Auburn's two toughest were. It was a little more than "Bowling Green vs The Citadel".

[/ QUOTE ]

Auburn demolished Tennessee in Knoxville that year (see my Avatar.) It was 31-3 at halftime. That's a tougher road game than OU played all year. Arguably OU's toughest road game was @ A&M where they trailed by 2 TDs and had to score late to win by 7. For comparison, Tennessee beat A&M 38-7 in their bowl game that year. Also, Auburn beat Tennessee again in the SECCG on a neutral field.

MyTurn- You're never going to get an accurate comparison because Tennessee is going to appear to be a much easier game than it actually was because Auburn beat them twice by double-digits. So two games on Auburn's schedule will appear to be against a 3-loss ~#25 team because you can't take out the losses to Auburn. Tennessee was 11-1 in other games that year. I realize that every team on both schedules will be like that, but it's compounded too much in that scenario because Auburn will have two games against a team with 200% more losses than they should have, and bad losses at that. Do you see what I mean?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 PM

I see, but an MOV ranking like sagarin predictor should take most of that out
Old 10-29-2007, 07:13 PM

MT2R, if you do shoot off an email for old pre-bowl Sagarin rankings, would you mind asking for 2001 as well? I'd like to see if your system confirms that my Ducks got shafted [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does Arizona State move up to #1 if they beat Oregon? I don't see how you can't put them there.

On a similar note, does Oregon move above LSU with a win?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes and yes

[/ QUOTE ]
So there is nothing LSU can do to avoid being jumped?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay I agree with all of that, and it's remarkable that Sagarin and others don't fix that. That has always been my argument for Auburn>Oklahoma in '04. Auburn played 4 top 15 teams that year, and Oklahoma played 1. But Auburn gets left out because of the difference between Bowling Green and the Citadel.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a little more than that. I notice you cut it off at the top 15 instead of top 20, which would've made it 4-3, as well as OU having the top ranked opponent. None of OU's toughest opponents were at home that year, while Auburn's two toughest were. It was a little more than "Bowling Green vs The Citadel".

[/ QUOTE ]

Auburn demolished Tennessee in Knoxville that year (see my Avatar.) It was 31-3 at halftime. That's a tougher road game than OU played all year. Arguably OU's toughest road game was @ A&M where they trailed by 2 TDs and had to score late to win by 7. For comparison, Tennessee beat A&M 38-7 in their bowl game that year. Also, Auburn beat Tennessee again in the SECCG on a neutral field.

MyTurn- You're never going to get an accurate comparison because Tennessee is going to appear to be a much easier game than it actually was because Auburn beat them twice by double-digits. So two games on Auburn's schedule will appear to be against a 3-loss ~#25 team because you can't take out the losses to Auburn. Tennessee was 11-1 in other games that year. I realize that every team on both schedules will be like that, but it's compounded too much in that scenario because Auburn will have two games against a team with 200% more losses than they should have, and bad losses at that. Do you see what I mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

OU's toughest game was playing Texas in Dallas. That was a tougher game than Tennessee that year. Texas didn't lose another game that year.

Btw, Tennesse won six games that year by less than a touchdown. Don't make them out to be a team they aren't (weren't).

Most systems don't penalize a team's schedule strength by including the games they played agains their opponent. When they show the SOS, they do it just for simplicity. When I say "most systems", I mean "most good systems".
Old 10-29-2007, 07:33 PM

One thing missing is the chances of going undefeated the rest of the way. I would imagine that all teams improved significantly with their performance this weekend.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:41 PM

BSF- That's true if you're looking only at their SOS. Under MyTurn's system it would not be true, since he can't take it out.

Also, if Tennessee is not the team I'm making them out to be, why did the beat TAMU in Dallas by a bajillion points when you beat them by 7?

I really don't feel like rehashing this debate any more because it only ticks me off. You guys had your shot. You got blown out.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BSF- That's true if you're looking only at their SOS. Under MyTurn's system it would not be true, since he can't take it out.

Also, if Tennessee is not the team I'm making them out to be, why did the beat TAMU in Dallas by a bajillion points when you beat them by 7?

I really don't feel like rehashing this debate any more because it only ticks me off. You guys had your shot. You got blown out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer weighs all of the information from the season, not just a couple of games. Tennessee's performance against Auburn is part of the picture, and not a part you throw out. I would be very interested in seeing MT2R's system give us an answer on this. At the time, I felt like USC and Oklahoma had played more difficult schedules and deserved to battle for the title. FWIW, I don't think you even need the pre bowl numbers. The bowl game just serves as an extra data point. You could take the results from after the bowl games and put them against the schedules up to the bowl game.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 PM

rwperu,
I expect ASU to leap frog Ohio State by a decent margin if both win this weekend. I think I'll start pimping my blog on the ASU scout and rivals site. I'm already on phog.net.
Soon, I think I'll bombard the cesspool that is ESPN and yahoo message boards.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 PM

Just a quick glance at the 2004 schedules and there is no way Auburn's was in the same ballpark as Oklahoma. USC's was the toughest by far. They got that one right.