Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: why hockey is dumb

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
regular season sudden death overtime is silly

they should go to a 3-2-1-0 point structure like pudge is saying, but they won't because it will ruin the record books, not like it hasn't already the way they're doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm not a hockey fan, but I am assuming based on what I read in this thread that if the game is tied in regulation but a team wins in OT or shootout, the losing team is awarded 1 point. This is truly dumb. Either let ties stand, or award winner 2 points, lose 0 regardless of whether game is decided in OT or regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The general public hates ties. True fans are mixed, but if the games went back to ties you'd see a hundred more posts saying "LOL HOCKEY IS DUMB, LOOK @ TEH TIEZ!" Americans don't like watching sports for a long period of time only to see a draw. Take a look at some UFC/boxing matches. People rather see it end before it goes to the judges, and in the rare cases there's a draw- fans are usually outraged and boo like crazy. Americans want results. To please the fans and public, the NHL introduced the shootout. The shootout is entertaining and provides a conclusion, but it's really random. It would be a shame to play 3 periods + OT only to lose 2 points on a coin flip.

That's why every game should offer the same amount of points, while not penalizing teams that lose in a shootout. 3 point games would work really well, since a team that might be pretty far out of the playoff race will actually try to win in regulation since that extra point means a lot. Games that end in OT/SO, or maybe just SO, will give out 2 points to the winner and 1 point to the loser. You will still get teams that rather secure a point, but you aren't hurting other teams in the playoff race since it's not rewarding two teams.

EDIT: Also, no matter how retarded the NHL OT system is... it's FAR superior compared to the NFL's.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Also, no matter how retarded the NHL OT system is... it's FAR superior compared to the NFL's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the NFL's overtime is much better. The only sport with a worse overtime than NHL is college football.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the NFL's overtime is much better. The only sport with a worse overtime than NHL is college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? An overtime that doesn't guarantee an equal chance for offensive possession is better than one that does? Yeah, college football is dumb because it's a shootout style that barely resembles football and yes, the NHL shootout part of overtime is sorta dumb, but it beats hours of OT's or ties. The 5 minute 4-on-4 part of the NHL OT is actually pretty nice and not a huge departure from how the game is played in regulation.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:06 PM

lol at this thread.

-The NHL is dumb for awarding/moving franchises that had no way of becoming profitable ventures (Nashville, Florida, Phoenix, to start). As well, not going with ESPN's contract offer wasn't very smart, despite being of less money.
-The fact that some teams only play each other once every 2 or 3 years is stupid (for example the Leafs and Western Canada).
-Within the next 5 years all players will be required to wear visors.
-Also within 5 years, there'll be no guaranteed contracts.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? An overtime that doesn't guarantee an equal chance for offensive possession is better than one that does? Yeah, college football is dumb because it's a shootout style that barely resembles football and yes, the NHL shootout part of overtime is sorta dumb, but it beats hours of OT's or ties. The 5 minute 4-on-4 part of the NHL OT is actually pretty nice and not a huge departure from how the game is played in regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were no shootout, then I would think the NHL had a better overtime. I agree that football overtime could be better, but the way that the NFL does it now is at least football. I don't feel bad for teams that never get the ball because defence is a part of football.

BTW, what's wrong with ties?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM

This has to be the stupidest OP I have ever seen on these forums. Think for like two seconds.

This is a business. The players don't get paid unless fans spend money. Fans don't want to see this, obviously. They would be cutting themselves off of millions of dollars by doing this.

How did this not get locked?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If there were no shootout, then I would think the NHL had a better overtime. I agree that football overtime could be better, but the way that the NFL does it now is at least football. I don't feel bad for teams that never get the ball because defence is a part of football.

BTW, what's wrong with ties?

[/ QUOTE ]

I explained ties earlier. Giving one team a chance to drive 60 yards and kick a field goal on first and 10 is not football.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-The NHL is dumb for awarding/moving franchises that had no way of becoming profitable ventures (Nashville, Florida, Phoenix, to start). As well, not going with ESPN's contract offer wasn't very smart, despite being of less money.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone wants to pony up money for a franchise, let them. NHL was stupid not going with an ESPN contract, but from what I understand, they didn't have a choice.

[ QUOTE ]

-The fact that some teams only play each other once every 2 or 3 years is stupid (for example the Leafs and Western Canada).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say there's at least a 80% chance the scheduling will change next year

[ QUOTE ]

-Within the next 5 years all players will be required to wear visors.

[/ QUOTE ]

So? Do you think some players should be able to skate around with no helmets? Players are paid to perform on the ice and owners have the right to protect their investments. Visors won't deteriorate the game... why don't you go ask the NFL to go back to leather helmets?

[ QUOTE ]

-Also within 5 years, there'll be no guaranteed contracts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by this or where why you even said this.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Hockey is dying because of the ESPN deal. That's basically the long and the short of it. That was one of the dumbest business decisions I've ever seen.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at this thread.

-The NHL is dumb for awarding/moving franchises that had no way of becoming profitable ventures (Nashville, Florida, Phoenix, to start).

[/ QUOTE ]

What's it like having perfect hindsight? Did you forget 1996 with the rats being thrown on to the ice? Florida has been terribly run ever since then - they haven't won a playoff series in 11 years. Phoenix and Nashville have never won one in franchise history. Lest we forget some more history, New Jersey nearly moved to Nashville in 1995 - Nashville really REALLY wanted a hockey team.

[ QUOTE ]
As well, not going with ESPN's contract offer wasn't very smart, despite being of less money.

[/ QUOTE ]

ESPN's contract was probably for no money. ESPN treated the NHL like lepers after about 1998. Unfortunately, the NHL is too short sighted to recognize that a network owned by a cable company is going to get [censored] on by satellite and every other cable network. Versus has no hope of succeeding.

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that some teams only play each other once every 2 or 3 years is stupid (for example the Leafs and Western Canada).

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh please. These 'rivalries' are a joke. The Leafs used to be in the Western Conference - they're not anymore, those rivalries are dead. There's a few interesting matchups that occur every year, otherwise interconference games are terrible. I don't like them changing the schedule from how it is now.

[ QUOTE ]
Within the next 5 years all players will be required to wear visors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very unlikely.

[ QUOTE ]
Also within 5 years, there'll be no guaranteed contracts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet 100-1 against this happening, up to $100. No CHANCE.