Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Paul Wins NV Straw Poll in Absentia, Beats Romney Who Spoke in Per

sigh are ron paul supporters really delusional enough to believe that if the beginning of life is defined at conception, then abortion wont be illegal?

sigh, i'm done with rp threads
Old 10-16-2007, 02:39 AM

If the federal government defines a fetus as life. Would the supreme court not be able to overrule states that allow abortion. If a state allowed the murder of people with mustaches it seems that supreme court would rule it as unconstitutional. Does Ron Paul currently advocate congress passing a law to define life beginning at conception?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

pretty sure all the act says is that a state doesnt have to recognize a different state's gay marriage law. Saying that you can't be charged for murder at a federal level is el oh el and shows how desperately you want Ron Paul not to be so anti-abortion. I find the mental backflips funny, keep them coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took it to mean that the bill only applied when the federal government had jurisdiction. Otherwise, the states could make their own laws applicable to their own states and the Supreme Court wouldn't overrule that. I question what would happen though, if one state banned abortion and a woman went across state lines to a state that allowed abortion as to who would have jurisdiction and if Roe v. Wade would apply. That's just what I get when I read Sect. 2, B2. Like I said, I could be wrong though.

And for the record, I don't agree with Paul on abortion. I was just questioning your interpretation of the bill. Paul is an OBGYN so I can see where he's coming from though. He's running for the Republican nomination so I'm pretty sure his pro life position will be helpful. I'm not sure that too many of Paul's supporters on here are pro life either, but they support him for reasons much greater than his personal views on abortion.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the federal government defines a fetus as life. Would the supreme court not be able to overrule states that allow abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

[ QUOTE ]
If a state allowed the murder of people with mustaches it seems that supreme court would rule it as unconstitutional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cause that's remotely similar.

[ QUOTE ]
Does Ron Paul currently advocate congress passing a law to define life beginning at conception?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Ron Paul does not currently officially support this position. I asked for a link early on by the guy claiming he does, but he failed to provide one. Seems to be a trend among these random attacks on Ron Paul.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:16 AM

How would allowing abortion be different than allowing murder of a specific group? If a fetus is defined as a life then wouldn't it follow that abortion is murder?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

sigh, i'm done with rp threads

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome
Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the federal government defines a fetus as life. Would the supreme court not be able to overrule states that allow abortion. If a state allowed the murder of people with mustaches it seems that supreme court would rule it as unconstitutional. Does Ron Paul currently advocate congress passing a law to define life beginning at conception?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul also introduced a bill banning the Court from even considering abortion cases, so I wouldn't worry too much about that one.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also abortion is a pretty major issue, and you can't really back off the positions RP has made

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul has already softened his position on abortion. In the videos thread there is a recently posted one of a speech in Iowa where he hammers the "life begins at conception" and a nationally televised one where he talks about how abortion should be states rights, how he doesn't want federal law to determine what individuals do.

[/ QUOTE ]

he doesn't want federal law to determine what individuals do, but he'll still define the beginning of life at conception. That will ban all abortions because it would be murder. Its not that hard, just come to terms with the fact that RP wants to abortion

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

those positions are NOT in opposition, in fact they are 2 distinct topics. I would think (and someone please correct me if this is wrong) that Dr. Paul's driving principle is to lessen the role of federal government. This would supercede his personal opinions on abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about his positions within the context of a political campaign. This whole thing started with a comment that RP had no chance in a national election because 80% of the US doesn't agree fully with his position on one issue. I know Ron Paul is against abortion.