Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: President\'s Cup

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am just as sure that it isn't even as good as a tour win

[/ QUOTE ]
Hoo boy, I couldn't disagree more about this. Paycheck aside, the emotions, venue, and outcome of that day is something he'll cherish more than anything other than his Masters win long after he's retired, barring another unforeseen major win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be surprised if that were true, but only Mike Weir can tell us. If he were to win AND lead them to the President's Cup, maybe, but I think he'd rather have a Memorial or good win like that.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes your butt buddy beat the best with nothing on the line...congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are downplaying the match simply because weir won. everyone knew that for all intents and purposes, the cup was decided before the day even started. This match was the only thing anyone was looking forward too.

if you don't think both players desperately wanted to win, you are just delusional.

as for johnny miller's comment about that being the biggest putt of his career, that was ridiculous. It certainly was a huge match and a huge putt, but it isn't even in the same zip as a masters victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really didn't want to get into the middle of this argument, but I agree completely with you.

basically, if Tiger won the match vs. Weir, everybody would be like "OMGGZZZZZZZZ HE HATES MAKING BOGEY SO [censored] MUCH JOHNNY! HE HATES IT SO MUCH! WHAT A GUTTY COMEBACK BY THE WORLD'S NUMBER ONE, CLAWING BACK FROM THE ASHES LIKE THE MIGHTY PHOENIX TO OVERTAKE HOMETOWN FAVORITE "CANADIAN" MIKE WEIR!!!! TIGER WINNING THIS MATCH MAY EVEN BE BETTER THAN THE US RETAINING THE CUP!"

But then Mike Weir wins and it's.. "Oh, if Tiger needed to par that hole, he would have."

I thought Tiger was the ultimate competitor? I thought Tiger took NO SHOTS FOR GRANTED? ISN'T TIGER THE ULTIMATE GRINDER, GUYS? FIGHTS FOR EVERY SHOT OF EVERY ROUND/MATCH HE PLAYS?

Can't have it both ways, guys.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir, this is the internet.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes your butt buddy beat the best with nothing on the line...congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are downplaying the match simply because weir won. everyone knew that for all intents and purposes, the cup was decided before the day even started. This match was the only thing anyone was looking forward too.

if you don't think both players desperately wanted to win, you are just delusional.

as for johnny miller's comment about that being the biggest putt of his career, that was ridiculous. It certainly was a huge match and a huge putt, but it isn't even in the same zip as a masters victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really didn't want to get into the middle of this argument, but I agree completely with you.

basically, if Tiger won the match vs. Weir, everybody would be like "OMGGZZZZZZZZ HE HATES MAKING BOGEY SO [censored] MUCH JOHNNY! HE HATES IT SO MUCH! WHAT A GUTTY COMEBACK BY THE WORLD'S NUMBER ONE, CLAWING BACK FROM THE ASHES LIKE THE MIGHTY PHOENIX TO OVERTAKE HOMETOWN FAVORITE "CANADIAN" MIKE WEIR!!!! TIGER WINNING THIS MATCH MAY EVEN BE BETTER THAN THE US RETAINING THE CUP!"

But then Mike Weir wins and it's.. "Oh, if Tiger needed to par that hole, he would have."

I thought Tiger was the ultimate competitor? I thought Tiger took NO SHOTS FOR GRANTED? ISN'T TIGER THE ULTIMATE GRINDER, GUYS? FIGHTS FOR EVERY SHOT OF EVERY ROUND/MATCH HE PLAYS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger threw the match to instill a false sense of pride in the Canadians, thus fostering complacency resulting in the US$ gaining strength against the CDN$ LDO.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Who won the President's Cup? I was busy all weekend and I didn't overhear about the results anywhere.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Desperately wanted to win? Uh, no. You're wrong. You can tell that by Tiger's attitude after his loss. He was laughing and joking.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Desperately wanted to win? Uh, no. You're wrong. You can tell that by Tiger's attitude after his loss. He was laughing and joking.

[/ QUOTE ]
True. Both players wanted to win. Tiger did not desperately want to win. Weir did. This is a big reason the U.S. team performs so poorly in Ryder Cup. The Europeans always desperately want to win.

BO
Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 PM

lol........please tiger didn't hasn't won 61 tournaments and 13 majors by ever not "desperately wanting to win". the guys is one of the sickest athletes ever purely for his ability to never ever ever ever ever EVER let his let his guard down or his concentration lapse.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, if he plays up to his potential in the next two or three years, he will be in the 15 to 25 range of the World rankings. I think the media often treats him like a "top 10" golfer that's just trying to regain his form, but I don't see him getting back and staying at that level (but I'd love to be wrong!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you are right to a certain extent, he certainly has been treated like a top player even when he has been really pretty bad. But I think two things make him potentially one of the best players in the world: 1. he plays hard courses well and is in contention in almost every major 2. his short game is one of the best in the world.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol........please tiger didn't hasn't won 61 tournaments and 13 majors by ever not "desperately wanting to win". the guys is one of the sickest athletes ever purely for his ability to never ever ever ever ever EVER let his let his guard down or his concentration lapse.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, if he plays up to his potential in the next two or three years, he will be in the 15 to 25 range of the World rankings. I think the media often treats him like a "top 10" golfer that's just trying to regain his form, but I don't see him getting back and staying at that level (but I'd love to be wrong!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you are right to a certain extent, he certainly has been treated like a top player even when he has been really pretty bad. But I think two things make him potentially one of the best players in the world: 1. he plays hard courses well and is in contention in almost every major 2. his short game is one of the best in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree on both your points.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger wanted to win. Did he desperately want to win? No. Did Tiger want to win the Battle at Bighorn? Yes. Did he desperately want to win? No. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing this to BaB, but it's just an example of not being 100%.

Like I said, you can tell from his mannerisms after the match that it wasn't as big to him, especially after the US had clinched.