Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: X-Post: Man arrested for not showing officer his License

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that a store should be allwoed to have the policy that they search their customer's bags before they leave. If you don't like it, don't shop there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of whether or not this is the store's policy, what right does the store have to detain you if you don't comply? Violating a store policy does not cause you to suddenly lose all of your civil rights.

The store's remedy for those who do not obey their policies is to inform these people that they are no longer permitted on their property. If these people return to the store, they can be charged with trespassing.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the shoplifter move on to the next circuit city that has the same policy. Very effective.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that a store should be allwoed to have the policy that they search their customer's bags before they leave. If you don't like it, don't shop there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of whether or not this is the store's policy, what right does the store have to detain you if you don't comply? Violating a store policy does not cause you to suddenly lose all of your civil rights.

The store's remedy for those who do not obey their policies is to inform these people that they are no longer permitted on their property. If these people return to the store, they can be charged with trespassing.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the shoplifter move on to the next circuit city that has the same policy. Very effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have to do with shoplifting? This is about the store checking receipts at the door.

The store can detain actual shoplifters all they want. They just need to keep their hands off those of us who haven't actually violated any laws.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have to do with shoplifting? This is about the store checking receipts at the door.

The store can detain actual shoplifters all they want. They just need to keep their hands off those of us who haven't actually violated any laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you feel it infringes on your rights doesnt mean they are incorrect that it is an effective shoplifting different. As the poster you responded to said, dont like it, dont shop there.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't surrender your civil rights, the shoplifters will have already won FTW!!!

Coming up with a business model that deals with the threat of shoplifting is Circuit City's problem, not mine. I guess trampling civil rights in the name of antiterrorism wasn't quite draconian enough for you, was it? Now we have to do it in the name of boosting corporate profits. No, I'm sorry, wait, if the shoplifters run free (and of course, anyone who values his own civil rights is OBVIOUSLY pro-shoplifting) western civilization will come to a SCREECHING HALT!!!

OH NOES SHOPLIFTER BOOGEYMANS!!!! RUNS!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because you feel it infringes on your rights doesnt mean they are incorrect that it is an effective shoplifting different. As the poster you responded to said, dont like it, dont shop there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think the death penalty would be an effective shoplifting deterrent? If so, would you support such a penalty for shoplifters?

Edit: just in case Copernicus has taken me off ignore and actually reads this, don't try to hide behind the slippery slope defense. This isn't about a slippery slope, this is about punishing you for moving the goalposts, and doubly so for doing so in such a brain-dead manner.

Whether this is an "effective deterrent" isn't in question. But now that you've made that bed, lay down in it for a while.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense for you to continue shopping in a store whose policies you do not agree with and have no intention of following.

I don't see why the store should be permitted to violate my rights if I still decided to set foot inside their premises, though.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense for you to continue shopping in a store whose policies you do not agree with and have no intention of following.

I don't see why the store should be permitted to violate my rights if I still decided to set foot inside their premises, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because by setting foot inside the door you voluntarily agree to relinquish that right. The conspicuous posting of the policy creates an implied contract.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because by setting foot inside the door you voluntarily agree to relinquish that right. The conspicuous posting of the policy creates an implied contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

An implied contract that they are allowed to forcibly detain me? No, it does not.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It would make me happy to see RedBean post in Politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I stumbled in here by searching for one of your early sports posts, and saw "X-POST...blah blah" so I clicked this thread and came in expecting it to be the other issue that was hot in Sports.

I won't be too regular in these parts. My political views are rather simplistic, (and realistic), when compared against the smattering of theoretical loons and partisan hippie zealots.

(See what I did there? I'm already reaching out to make friends. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img])

Seriously though, I derive the majority of my income from the taxpayer, and my prinicipal responsiblity is the application of overwhelming force against foreign enemies for the purpose of advancing the US agenda......so truth be told I got a better chance defending Bonds in Sporting Events than I do in here conversing amongst these guys.

Not to mention, these guys in here are WAY smarter than the sports guys. I like to eat the low-hanging fruit instead. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By what you've said so far, it seems as if you don't really know much about the subject? Am I wrong? Circuit City would send the violators picture to all other circuit cities, either in the state or the nation. Many big name stores do this. The violator would than be asked to leave if he set foot in any Circuit City.