Boulder, CO
Santa Barbra, CA
Jacksonville, FL
Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Help me choose 4 cities to live next year

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
for people who've lived in vancouver...... isn't it really cold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, are you serious? It basically never gets below -5 (celcius), and is usually well above freezing in winter. It rarely has snow that sticks for any substantial period of time. Obviously it isn't Miami, but it's quite a bit warmer than Chicago come winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

-5 is 23 degrees fahrenheit. thats pretty cold. i'm curious for myself about vancouver, but i moved away from the cold(upstate ny) and don't know if i want to move back to a cold area.

[/ QUOTE ]

he was talking about the low temp. Vancouver is a good deal warmer than say Syracuse, or Boston. Think January highs in the 40's instead of 30's it's also about 10 degrees cooler in the summer.

so, average daily highs range from 40 to 70, instead of Boston where it's more like 30 to 80
Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, are you serious? It basically never gets below -5 (celcius), and is usually well above freezing in winter. It rarely has snow that sticks for any substantial period of time. Obviously it isn't Miami, but it's quite a bit warmer than Chicago come winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

-5 is 23 degrees fahrenheit. thats pretty cold. i'm curious for myself about vancouver, but i moved away from the cold(upstate ny) and don't know if i want to move back to a cold area.

[/ QUOTE ]

he was talking about the low temp. Vancouver is a good deal warmer than say Syracuse, or Boston. Think January highs in the 40's instead of 30's it's also about 10 degrees cooler in the summer.

so, average daily highs range from 40 to 70, instead of Boston where it's more like 30 to 80

[/ QUOTE ]

got ya. thats not too terrible then. i heard it rains a lot there. does that change how people like vancouver during the times when it's raining everyday?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:25 PM

By the way, Austin meets the pro sports requirement. Just don't tell that to the NCAA, haha.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know my way around the city that terribly well but I have been there a few times and definitely liked it better than a lot of cities I've been to.
Squirrel Hill area was very enjoyable and I liked the people there a ton as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Squirrel Hill/Shadyside is the probably the best place to live within the city limits. You're right - it is a great neighborhood.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

got ya. thats not too terrible then. i heard it rains a lot there. does that change how people like vancouver during the times when it's raining everyday?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's obviously better when it's sunny/not raining. BUt people stil love the city nonetheless. It's very drizzly when it rains, it doesn't pour like in the midwest (most of the time). This makes it still possible to do things without getting drenched automatically.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

vancouver = canada, canada = igloos.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 months isn't really long enough. Even if you did 6 months, you'd get odd seasons in different cities which might be a problem. (Toronto winter and summer are different, natch). Plus, have you considered the overhead involved for such a short stay, then move?

edit: on second thought, you could pick prime weather to enjoy each city - Toronto or Minneapolis in the summer, Las Vegas in the winter, or whatever. Three months would work in that sense, but still an awful lot of overhead.

[/ QUOTE ]

toronto weather sucks in the summer. it's fine if you get out into the country, but if you're actually going to be in the city, toronto is not the place you want to be in the summer. it's disgustingly hot and humid. and the smog doesn't help, though its not as bad as many other big cities.

toronto's much nicer in the spring and fall.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 PM

Boise, Idaho (no ethnic diversity though)
San Fransisco/ San Jose (expensive though)
San Diego (no ethnic diversity, 95% Mexicans)

Honestly I don't think any USA cities accommodate all your requierments. Europe will have much less ethnic diversity than USA. Plus it will be more expensive due to a weak dollar.

I'd say your crazy. Pretty radical idea here. But w/e...
Old 08-31-2007, 01:27 AM

Thanks for all the sugestions guys, pretty good ones.

So far, I could say we have decided at least 2 of them: Chicago and Vanvouver/Seattle

Still undecided about the other 2, too many good choices.