Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: 2007-2008 NFL Predictions

[ QUOTE ]
the packers are still going to be awful, how will they win their division outright?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this guy get denied admission for the 2007 Packers Bandwagon because it was full already or something? Come on people, someone move over and let him on, he feels left out.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay. Imperfect recall. Sorry.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's more than 10 games. MORE THAN 10 games. That means 11 games. NE is the only team that can win more than 10 games = 11+ games.

*sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, I'll bet you there are more than 1 team other than NE that'll win 11 games or more.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To Vyse:

Superbowls and their head coaches:

2008 - Belichick is favorite to win

2007 - Dungy
2006 - Cowher
2005 - Belichick
2004 - Belichick
2003 - Gruden
2002 - Belichick
2001 - Billick
2000 - Vermeil
1999 - Shanahan
1998 - Shanahan
1997 - Holmgren

In the last 10 years only 1 superbowl winning head coach currently has a bad team (Gruden) and 2 have retired. Holmgren, Shanahan, Billick, Belichick, and Dungy all have teams that are expected to be in the playoffs. Must be cuz they get lucky at drafting right?

"In 1979, Walsh was hired as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. The long-suffering 49ers went 2-14 in 1978, the season before Walsh's arrival and repeated the same dismal record in his first season. Walsh doubted his abilities to turn around such a miserable situation -- but earlier in 1979, Walsh drafted quarterback Joe Montana from Notre Dame in the third round.

Walsh turned over the starting job to Montana in 1980, when the 49ers improved to 6-10. San Francisco won its first championship in 1981, just two years after winning two games.

Under Walsh the 49ers won Super Bowl championships in 1981, 1984 and 1988. Walsh served as 49ers head coach for ten years, and during his tenure he and his coaching staff perfected the style of play known popularly as the West Coast offense."

Joe Montana was later benched for Steve Young...

Steve Young was originally drafted by Tampa Bay (Supplemental draft) and deemed a bust. He was later traded to the 49ers where Bill Walsh made him into a hall of famer.

I love when busts magically change into hall of fame qbs, lol!!!

Your an idiot, coaching is the most important "position" on any NFL team. Pure talent can win you games all throughout highschool, and maybe into DIII ball but no farther.

[/ QUOTE ]

So smug and so wrong...

Holmgren has essentially done nothing in Seattle other than benefit from a consistently piss poor division. Two of his division winners were 9-7 and each time they were beat at home in the wildcard round by relatively horrible playoff teams ('99 Dolphins and '04 Rams).

Shannahan is a good coach IMO just because he's been able to win consistently without any QB or pass-rush for the last ~8 years. It's no surprise he hasn't matched the success he had when 1 of the greatest QB's ever played for him.

I'm not sure why you bold "third" round re: Montana as if that's proof he wasn't a sick QB? And you really think Walsh singlehandily made Young go from bust Hof? The guy was a fluke Roger Craig fumble away from winning 2 SB's under George Seifort who btw bombed as HC in Carolina.

The Dolphins with basically the same cast of players between 98-02 were no different under the great Jimmy Johnson than they were under Dave Wandsteadt (who is now regarded as a laughing stock because of 1 bad year in 2004).

Billick - Actually he is lucky that his GM is crazy good at spotting defensive talent in the draft. His MO was supposed to be offense, and his offense usually sucks.

The Pats, Colts & Eagles being about the only consistently good teams year after year has a lot more to do w/ them having the 3 best QB's in the league than the coaches; even if Bellicheck is the best coach.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To Vyse:

Superbowls and their head coaches:

2008 - Belichick is favorite to win

2007 - Dungy
2006 - Cowher
2005 - Belichick
2004 - Belichick
2003 - Gruden
2002 - Belichick
2001 - Billick
2000 - Vermeil
1999 - Shanahan
1998 - Shanahan
1997 - Holmgren

In the last 10 years only 1 superbowl winning head coach currently has a bad team (Gruden) and 2 have retired. Holmgren, Shanahan, Billick, Belichick, and Dungy all have teams that are expected to be in the playoffs. Must be cuz they get lucky at drafting right?

"In 1979, Walsh was hired as head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. The long-suffering 49ers went 2-14 in 1978, the season before Walsh's arrival and repeated the same dismal record in his first season. Walsh doubted his abilities to turn around such a miserable situation -- but earlier in 1979, Walsh drafted quarterback Joe Montana from Notre Dame in the third round.

Walsh turned over the starting job to Montana in 1980, when the 49ers improved to 6-10. San Francisco won its first championship in 1981, just two years after winning two games.

Under Walsh the 49ers won Super Bowl championships in 1981, 1984 and 1988. Walsh served as 49ers head coach for ten years, and during his tenure he and his coaching staff perfected the style of play known popularly as the West Coast offense."

Joe Montana was later benched for Steve Young...

Steve Young was originally drafted by Tampa Bay (Supplemental draft) and deemed a bust. He was later traded to the 49ers where Bill Walsh made him into a hall of famer.

I love when busts magically change into hall of fame qbs, lol!!!

Your an idiot, coaching is the most important "position" on any NFL team. Pure talent can win you games all throughout highschool, and maybe into DIII ball but no farther.

[/ QUOTE ]

So smug and so wrong...

Holmgren has essentially done nothing in Seattle other than benefit from a consistently piss poor division. Two of his division winners were 9-7 and each time they were beat at home in the wildcard round by relatively horrible playoff teams ('99 Dolphins and '04 Rams).

Shannahan is a good coach IMO just because he's been able to win consistently without any QB or pass-rush for the last ~8 years. It's no surprise he hasn't matched the success he had when 1 of the greatest QB's ever played for him.

I'm not sure why you bold "third" round re: Montana as if that's proof he wasn't a sick QB? And you really think Walsh singlehandily made Young go from bust Hof? The guy was a fluke Roger Craig fumble away from winning 2 SB's under George Seifort who btw bombed as HC in Carolina.

The Dolphins with basically the same cast of players between 98-02 were no different under the great Jimmy Johnson than they were under Dave Wandsteadt (who is now regarded as a laughing stock because of 1 bad year in 2004).

Billick - Actually he is lucky that his GM is crazy good at spotting defensive talent in the draft. His MO was supposed to be offense, and his offense usually sucks.

The Pats, Colts & Eagles being about the only consistently good teams year after year has a lot more to do w/ the QB's, than the coaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eagles haven't been awful with backup QBs. Pats won the AFC title without Brady. It's more than QBs, it's better drafting than other teams and better use of FA.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 PM

The Patriots gave a boat load of high draft picks to get Belicheck. Well worth it I'd say.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:59 PM

Of course "it's more than QB's". The Pats were insanely lucky in both '96 & '01 but I've already been over that ad nauseam.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's more than 10 games. MORE THAN 10 games. That means 11 games. NE is the only team that can win more than 10 games = 11+ games.

*sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

So I could say "The Colts for $xxxx" and if they go 11-5 through 16-0 you'll pay me $xxxx. Do I have this right.

Cody
Old 08-27-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Pats, Colts & Eagles being about the only consistently good teams year after year has a lot more to do w/ them having the 3 best QB's in the league than the coaches; even if Bellicheck is the best coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

A great front office helps too. The GMs, scouts and personnel directors are all top notch for these three franchises.

But you're right. I'll take Manning over Billichek, tyvm.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the packers are still going to be awful, how will they win their division outright?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this guy get denied admission for the 2007 Packers Bandwagon because it was full already or something? Come on people, someone move over and let him on, he feels left out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Packers may actually have a fairly solid team. Defense looks pretty good. The young OL started shaky last year (started 3 rookies), but made strides as the season went on. Some young WR's emerged to give them depth behind Driver and Jennings. The big question mark is RB and so far, Brandon Jackson has looked alright. To me, they seem better than I thought they would a couple months ago

The big problem is that their schedule is so brutal that I don't see them doing better than 8-8.

Out of the division, they host Philly, SD, Wash, Carolina, and Oakland. They visit NYG, Denver and KC back to back in a short week, Dallas, and St. Louis.

I just don't see them pulling off a winning record.