Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Who are you? Personal / Poker background

[ QUOTE ]
heh prolly best. I wouldnt have the slightest idea which avater to pick for you if I won. So not much fun for me

[/ QUOTE ]

I have some for you though...

or

Old 08-24-2007, 04:53 PM

oink I would have some excellent reccomendations [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

gogogo I have the better part of a week to wait before I can demand a rematch and get grim'd anyways
Old 08-24-2007, 05:00 PM

HAHAHA Seth. That one is awesome - made me laugh out loud.

Thats the guy from Skid row right? WTF is up with his powder lips? He is supposed to look like a model? What the hell went through their heads back in the 80'es...!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:05 PM

Poison, not Skid Row, but yeah, same difference really.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:27 PM

Name: Sam
Somewhat Single

Paid for all my college loans by running good in loldonkaments. Starting playing limit when I had the bank roll and the time while getting my masters in engineering (Thesis: Design Optimization for a Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle, Georgia Tech)
Sort of didn't want to get a job after I got my masters so i went traveling for a couple years grinding in net cafes pre UIGEA. Post UIGEA I settled down in Prague and starting playing about half live poker and half online... been in north Idaho this summer doing some kayaking with buds, grinding a bit online and running breakeven ugh. Heading back to Prague in a couple weeks and plan to play alot the next couple months both online and live.

I'm gonna be a struggling poker player/vagrant bum till I go busto and then get a real job... or hopefully go balla... time will tell.

Also, Brass Monkey is my idol.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:35 PM

I'm not my avatar either.

39 years young. Married with 2 kids. We own a big old house in Winnipeg, Canada. It's a 3 story so my weekly poker game can be held on the main floor without inconvenience. I've run heavy machinery around the clock for a big manufacturer for almost 20 years. I enjoy it but I'm getting sick of the hours. Pays the bills though.

Chess was the ticket until 2005. I found "poker champs". 3 months as a donkey before I found out how to add 2 + 2. Since than I've rolled my way up to 2/4 where I currently win, but not by much.

Outside of poker I'm a dad, in a canoe, on the political left, and i think too much...Descartes was wrong in my opinion!
Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 PM

29, single, games programmer, compulsive gambler and generally all around loser....

deposited $30 or $40 10 or 20 times ( and of course lost it ) before I understood anything about poker. Read lots of poker books.....

1 ) Redeposited a few hundred....played 0.50/1 no limit, built up to $1000+, got too big for my boots...lost it all
2 ) switched to 0.50/1 limit....messed around at break even for a few 10s of thousands of hands..got disillusioned with poker
3 ) managed a 2nd place at a $15K guaranteed at party for $3500 and another freeroll win. got excited about poker again
4 ) go to 1 ) ( apart from 3..that only happened once )
Old 08-24-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
29, single, games programmer, compulsive gambler and generally all around loser....

deposited $30 or $40 10 or 20 times ( and of course lost it ) before I understood anything about poker. Read lots of poker books.....

1 ) Redeposited a few hundred....played 0.50/1 no limit, built up to $1000+, got too big for my boots...lost it all
2 ) switched to 0.50/1 limit....messed around at break even for a few 10s of thousands of hands..got disillusioned with poker
3 ) managed a 2nd place at a $15K guaranteed at party for $3500 and another freeroll win. got excited about poker again
4 ) go to 1 ) ( apart from 3..that only happened once )

[/ QUOTE ]

what games have you worked on?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:20 AM

At the risk of the remaining few holdouts cluing into just how pathetic I am...

I'm a little drunk + feeling nostalgic + not playing this evening... so maybe some of you would have an interest in reading about my poker odyssey. It's not a particularly impressive story, but people seem to find it funny that I had to take up small stakes poker before I finally found a semi-regular source of income. Who knows.

If nothing else, it's a cautionary tale for would be ss grinders. Lots of tedium. Precious few victories. But others have done better, so your mileage may vary.

tl/dr.pdf

Hope everyone is having a profitable night.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Name: Sam
Somewhat Single

Paid for all my college loans by running good in loldonkaments. Starting playing limit when I had the bank roll and the time while getting my masters in engineering (Thesis: Design Optimization for a Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle, Georgia Tech)
Sort of didn't want to get a job after I got my masters so i went traveling for a couple years grinding in net cafes pre UIGEA. Post UIGEA I settled down in Prague and starting playing about half live poker and half online... been in north Idaho this summer doing some kayaking with buds, grinding a bit online and running breakeven ugh. Heading back to Prague in a couple weeks and plan to play alot the next couple months both online and live.

I'm gonna be a struggling poker player/vagrant bum till I go busto and then get a real job... or hopefully go balla... time will tell.

Also, Brass Monkey is my idol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha - thanks. You know what's funny, though? As I was reading your blurb, I said to myself, "Man, Sam's lucky! Prague is such an awesome city, and I had no idea they had live poker there. Good for him - must be freaking great." I was, of course, thinking about the chicks in Prague and the, errmm, architecture.